Discussion How similar to 1-6 will Episode 7 be?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episode VII - Spoilers Allowed' started by darthfettus2015, Nov 8, 2013.

1. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    The whole entire film will be in black and white.
  2. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    Wasn't there a trailer mash up of the first 6 movies in black and white on youtube? I remember seeing them but can't find them.
  3. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    I think so. I know the Blu-ray edition has black and white footage.
  4. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    Thought so. Or maybe I saw them on here. Have to look some more. I've seen the blu-ray stuff or believe I have anyway.
  5. Sum-Wan Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I'm fairly sure there is a set of fan edits of the OT in black and white, maybe silent too.
  6. Jetedonne Pur-Pureus Force Ghost

star 4
    That would be pretty cool in a separate Star Wars movie, done kind of like Sin City with color strewn about in different areas of a scene.
  7. LunarMoth Force Ghost

star 4
    Abrams is not in the same position with Star Wars as he was in projects like, say, Star Trek. With Star Trek he was given the explicit task of rebooting the franchise. This is not the case here, nor is JJ "the boss" here. That's not to knock any aspect of his involvement, as he will still be a powerful voice in the production, but at the end of the day it's Kennedy first, and intimately the powers that be at Disney that will make the big decisions and give the green light to things when it comes to certain styles, look and feel of the films, and some other key aspects.

The story itself is a Lucas creation, and while Arndt and now Abrams and Kasdan are connecting the dots of GL's treatments, the major plot points are a true continuation of the established story.

I am confident that the ST will fit in just fine.
    Seagoat and Echo-07 like this.
  8. chris hayes Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    The start & end will be the same minus the fox logo of course ..... The look will be a mixture of OT & PT but feel more like the OT " IMHO "..............
    Echo-07 and LunarMoth like this.
  9. Mystery Roach Chosen One

star 4
    The ST will be exactly like 1-6 except that it will take place on present day Earth with no spaceships, Jedi, lightsabers, the Force, screen wipes, opening crawl, music, characters, or story. In other words it will be a fly-on-the-wall documentary about four hours in the life of an oak tree that plays in utter silence until the end when it fades to black and you hear the voice of James Earl Jones say "Star Wars. Episode Seven."
    TheManFromMortis and Echo-07 like this.
  10. TX-20 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    My guess is that the main episodes will be similar to all previous films. As for the spin-offs, I'm hoping for a change of pace.
    Mystery_Roach and T-R- like this.
  11. Boxster Force Ghost

star 1
    I am hoping the ST to be like Trek 1 and 2. Those are effing awesome movies, thanks to JJ!
  12. Mystery Roach Chosen One

star 4
    Yeah they can go nuts with the spinoffs for all I care. I only care about a certain amount of stylistic consistency between the main episodes. And that's not to say there isn't room for variation there either, as Lucas proved with the PT, but they all still have certain fundamental similarities that can't be ignored.
  13. darthfettus2015 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    exactly my thought I want it to have its own feel (which I guess it will do with a new creative team) but to still fit in as one continous story
    Darth Raiden and Mystery_Roach like this.
  14. Dewback Chosen One

star 3
  15. Echo-07 Force Ghost

star 4
    And will still make a billion dollars not to mention millions in tree "action" figures.
    Last edited by Echo-07, Nov 24, 2013
  16. Lee_ Force Ghost

star 4
    JJ has implied, if not outright said, that there will be some of both trilogies here. He talked about his love of the OT, but also brought up in the same conversation that there is a whole generation of SW fans brought up on the PT that needed to be acknowledged in these movies. I am glad for this myself.

The fact that there is new technology and different people working on this for (hopefully positive) changes, along with Lucas's script and some commitment to keep both old trilogies in mind, makes for ideal circumstances in my mind. You have both great reverence for the old, along with a lot of new innovation and fresh perspectives.

I think you will have most of the SW standards, with some new surprises.
  17. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    At the threads title:
    Its more Star Wars, what does it matter? :p
    Last edited by Ryus, Nov 24, 2013
  18. The-Eternal-Hero Force Ghost

star 4
    It's gonna be all about Juke Skywalker, Princess Freia and Stan Solo as they fight the New Empire and their terrible warlord Zarth Valar, Dark Lord of the Sith! The movie climaxes with Juke blowing up the Death Moon. Man oh man, I can't wait!
    Mystery_Roach likes this.
  19. Fly Guy Jedi Master

star 1
    Hmm..well, I beg to differ, because I thought Trek one was bad, and two outrageously bad.

I know some people think that having JJ on board with the ST, makes it almost a shoe-in to be great.

However, JJ "lens flair" Abrams isn't a younger Spielberg, and could screw up the ST in a bad kinda way.

I hope this doesn't happen, but it could.
    Last edited by Fly Guy, Nov 24, 2013
  20. DARTH_BELO Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm hoping that the ST isn't too similar to the OT or the PT. I acknowledge that the two trilogies feel different-and IMO it's supposed to be that way. These trilogies each represent different times-different ages in this story. In fact, when seeing all three trilogies and their respective different tones, it will likely help the PT feel less jarring as far as its differences, when compared to the OT. Having three to compare (allowing for individuality) works much more smoothly than having only two to compare to each other.

I hope that the ST has a look and feel all its own, but STILL with certain continuity points given consideration (how blasters/lightsabers sound, how certain familiar planets look, how it looks when ships go to/come out of hyperspace, screen wipes, etc.) I am not worried about the score of course, knowing Williams' involvement (score is a huge continuity area for me.)

I also don't want this trilogy to basically be a carbon-copy of the OT in look and feel, either. Keep the important elements of continuity, but make it a trilogy of its own. Wouldn't it be great to have a saga with three different, (yet connected) trilogies, covering three different eras? What a saga that would be!
    Last edited by DARTH_BELO, Nov 24, 2013
  21. DV75 Force Ghost

star 3
    Exactly.

Oh and don't expect to see the Walt Disney intro either. IMO, the ST will begin with a new-slightly longer 'LUCASFILM' intro much like Marvel Studios.
  22. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    Or the movie won't open with any logo whatsoever.
  23. Pro Scoundrel Force Ghost

star 4
    Speaking of similarities in Star Wars films, it occurred to me that there is already an example of what an amalgamation of the PT and OT would look like.

From the OT it has
    1.A loveable Scoundrel character with a fast "used future" ship
    2. An empire with obvious similarities to the OT version
    3. "Inside ship" view of hyperspace jump
    4. Vaderesque character design on the main Sith bad guy.
    5. Luke's theme

From the PT it has
    1. Republic troops very similar to clone troopers
    2. Jedi more similar to the PT versions
    3. Faster, flashier lightsaber battles
    4. The Republic
    5. Duel of the Fates