main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How tall are the buildings on Coruscant?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by King_Piccolo, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    That aside, there is an explanation for it, so don't just through it as impossible. There are tons of books and stuff like that dealing with Coruscant and keeping it habitable, as well as other places.

2. WitchKing66

WitchKing66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2005
    nice to see my Kanada being acknowledeged around here, but to be honest to highest man-made object is not the CN Tower in Tronoto, but it is very tall Antenaa built in the 1970s in the US State, Dakota i think. Though CN Tower is the tallest man-made structure, while the twin-towers of Malaysia are the tallest man-made buildings, which will be soon replaced by the super-sky-scrappers of Shanghai or the mighty super-sky-scrappers of China's Imperial megaplex: Bejeing (sp?)

the sub-mayor of Bejeing saying to the mayor of Bejeing(sp?):

soon we will reveal ourselves to New York, soon we will have Revenge

3. Darth_Kermit

Darth_Kermit Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 2, 2003
    Why doesn't someone do some estimates from photos? We see Padme's Building in full in one shot of ROTS. Can you see the windows that got replaced in AOTC? That might be a good way to get the height with a little math - if you can guess a good estimate for the window dimensions. It's a start.

4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    20,000 feet ;) is a good estimate. Suffice to say the buildings are quite tall, all things considered.

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Oh gee, my post ignored. Surprise. At least Sinister saw it.

6. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    It never ceases to amaze me how such minor details such as this can stir up such controversy!

Either way the building heights don't mean squat, weird things happen you have swords made of light, little green frog men jumping around and when you can travel faster than light!

Its called GFFA, where science does not meet reality!

7. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Its called GFFA, where science does not meet reality!

Of course. Thats why its called Star Wars physics. But its interesting to discuss how far from reality it is. :D

8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Beijing.

I seem to remember reading in some novel many years ago that the buildings of Coruscant are several kilometers.

9. King_Piccolo

King_Piccolo Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2005
    The figure of 6 kilometers makes sense to me. Imagine a building almost as tall as Babylon 5 is long in your city.

10. Aqua-Serenity

Aqua-Serenity Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 4, 2006
    well, according to sources in the EU, its a couple thousand kilometers to the ACTUAL surface, many of the "surfaces" you see in the movies are actually hundreds of kkilometers off the ground.

11. King_Piccolo

King_Piccolo Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2005
    That seems to contradict other sources, which say that the planet's polar ice caps are used for drinking water.

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    That can still be true. They have plumbing and what not. Supply ships. This is a technologically advanced world.

13. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005
    I think it must be in RoTS Novel or LoE. I don't delve too far into EU (I don't even know who Kyp is, really) and I swear I ready something about the Sun Mirrors.

Carnage

14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Kyp Durron, one of Luke's students and a friend to Han. Anyway, just cause we don't see it doesn't mean it's not there.

15. Bend_Ovi_Kenobi

Bend_Ovi_Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2006
    Do the movies even say that Corescant is a planet with oxygen on it? Maybe there is a hybrid gas that the citizens breathe, and it is generated by a total recall like system.

Remember that with all this talk of oxygen, the planet has no trees ... So that kinda takes the oxygen question right out of the equation. Either they are breathing something else, or there is an oxygen center of some kind.

Either way, oxygen at higher levels could be maintained by the same technology that put it there. Or there is no oxygen, in which case it doesn't matter.

Do you think they breathe oxygen in a galaxy far far away? Or do they breathe somethng else?

EDITED: Also, planets atmosphere's aren't static across the board. The corescent atmosphere could be thousands of klicks above the surface.

16. purpilian

purpilian Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2005
    Well in some books it makes it seem like there are at least five layers of citiy from the ground to the top city. Ithink it is safe to say that the long walkway to the Senate is like the roof to one of these layers that streathes a fair distance. The one thing t would like to know is, what is below the Jedi Temple. Is it just storage or the rest of that mountain that it is centered around?

17. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Remember that with all this talk of oxygen, the planet has no trees ... So that kinda takes the oxygen question right out of the equation. Either they are breathing something else, or there is an oxygen center of some kind.

Trees are not the only source of oxygen. :p

18. bad4good

bad4good Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2006
    I was wondering how tall the trees were on Endor? How deep are the Sinkholes on Utapau? What is the average size of a Volcano on Mustafar? There must be Definative heights or I cannot fully enjoy the films!

19. ArchAngel_06

ArchAngel_06 Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2006
    I'd like to know how long Anakin's hair is, in inches please.....

20. Master-Fett

Master-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 25, 2002
    Seems as if I recall that buildings are built on the ruins/foundations of older buildings.

The whole planet is a city.

Thanks ric.

Oh and the ROTS novel said Palps office was about 25 stories up, describing how far mace fell, idk how far up in the building palpatine is but hey, its a measurement...

I was wondering how tall the trees were on Endor? How deep are the Sinkholes on Utapau? What is the average size of a Volcano on Mustafar?
    790 ewok sized stories, 5 kilometers, 9,000 feet after erruption

[and anakins hair is 5.7 inches long in back, bangs being from 2.5 to three.]

21. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    the sub-mayor of Bejeing saying to the mayor of Bejeing(sp?):

soon we will reveal ourselves to New York, soon we will have Revenge

Eh, according to Emporis, a Chinese city other than Beijing (or Shanghai, for that matter) has already surpassed New York in skyscraper count. That city would be Hong Kong, with, I think, approx. 2,000 more 'scrapers than our beloved Manhattan.

But Manhattan's still the most powerful city in the world. So there. :p

"Judge me by my size, do you?"

"Size matters not!"

EDIT: From Emporis:

Hong Kong: 7,879 skyscrapers

New York City: 5,936 skyscrapers

Far, far more people live in NYC, however. 8.1 mil to HK's 6.8. And that's not taking in NYC's metro figure which is 22 mil- over half of the state's population.

Just for fun, the most populous city in the world, Tokyo, has a pop. of 8.1 mil, equal to NYC, but a metro fig. of 33.7. That's almost the population of New York or California. Another huge urban center is Mexico City with the same pop. of NYC, but a metro fig. of 27.8.

Just staggering.

Multiply all that by 1,000,000 and you just about get Coruscant.

EDIT 2: Actually, after a check, Sao Paolo, down in Brazil, has a population greater (10) than Tokyo but a smaller metro figure. (18)

22. Bend_Ovi_Kenobi

Bend_Ovi_Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2006
    I took that into account in my post. Thanks for trying though.

23. JMN77

JMN77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    Forget that b4g!
    Did you know that Obi's hood covers more of his face in AOTC than
    Anakin's hood covers his face in ROTS?
    Conversely Anakin's robe is shorter in AOTC than Obi's
    robe is in TPM?
    WHY??

answers, I need answers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.