main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga How the Dead are forgotten in SW

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Tito-Wan Kenobi, May 21, 2015.

1. Tito-Wan Kenobi

Tito-Wan Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2015
    If you die in SW, odds are you will be forgotten quite fast. Let's take a few examples.

(1) Biggs Darklighter. Luke's best friend, childhood buddies. Get's killed in the Battle of Yavin. No tears. No comment. Never mentioned again.

(2) Uncle Ben and Aunt Beru. Raised Luke since birth. Horribly massacred in ANH. Brief Luke determined look (good music by John Williams, of course). But goodbye, never mentioned again.

(3) Most of the PT characters. Watching the OT, you would think that Yoda and Obi-Wan are the only to Jedi in the galaxy. Mace who? Qui-Gon who?

(4) Bail Organa. Senator of the Republic. Friend of Yoda and Obi-Wan. Raised Leia. Leader of the Rebellion. Gets wiped out by the Death Star. Gone. Bye-bye.

I'm not saying constant reminders or tribute is necessary, but at least some signal that they actually existed! Only exception I think is Obi-Wan...and the fact that he continues on as a Force Ghost makes references to him quite safe, since we see him all the time afterwards.

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Indeed I agree. However, as usual you're only telling one side. What about Tarkin, Dooku, Needa, Jerjerrod, everyone that died on Death Stars or in battles? Absolutely *nothing*.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  3. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I agree with you on Luke and his so called friend, Biggs. He didn't even shed a tear for the people who raised him for crying out loud. Same with Leia and the loss of her father. Not to mention her entire homeworld.

Now I disagree about the PT characters:

Anakin obviously got very upset over the loss of his mother and look at far he took things over the mere possibility over losing Padme.

Yoda was also deeply saddened about the loss of his fellow Jedi and students. Padme was upset over the attacks at the Jedi Temple. Even Bail Organa.

4. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I'd say some don't think 2 seconds of emotion cuts it.

5. Tito-Wan Kenobi

May 14, 2015
    Couple of points.

(1) I almost included a list of all the Imperials who were quickly forgotten. Cushing's Admirer's list is dead on. I had the same one! But, I think the "good" people list highlights the point, as in anyone can say that Imperials don't mourn their own.

(2) Good point about Shmi. But I guess my overall point is not that there are no tears for the dead, is how they are forgotten....as in never mentioned ever again. It goes to the issue of continuity...we always remember the fallen at some point and mention them, even in passing. I know it would be too much retroactive connection for the OT, but Vader never mentions his true love, his living mother, his first mentor. They are just skipped over. The PT tried to do it with Qui-Gon in ROTS, but the main point is that there seems to be a total lack of emotional continuity between OT and PT and within in the OT itself.

I'm not complaining! haha, just noticing an interesting phenomenon.

That's why I like that people survive the Saga, it allows them to keep on mattering, like Wedge...

6. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Thank you but I think it is very narrow to make that assumption and it is a VALID point I will KEEP making: Imperials ARE people too. It's time we treat them like it.

7. Tito-Wan Kenobi

May 14, 2015
    What can I say...I agree, so they are!

8. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Nope, them Imperial folks are not folks...:p

George didn't have time in is movies to devote 3-5 minutes per dead character for the living to wail and weep - and I kind of doubt George would have been satisfied with mere mentions alone. Not to mention, if it didn't advance the plot, it wasn't incorporated - just like the Padme with her family deleted scene, etc.

9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    This exactly. I mean, sure, it would be nice for Luke to take time to grieve over Biggs, yeah. But in the middle of a space battle with Darth kriffing Vader on your tail is not the time to do it. Owen and Beru not being grieved over? Um, it was kind of the stimulus for Luke to start his hero's journey! As to other characters, the thing is these movies aren't much more than 2 hours long each, so there's not a lot of time to spend on scenes of characters crying. It's realistic, yes, but I think it can be implied to take place off-screen. If these movies were 3 hours or so long, sure, have a 5-minute scene of characters talking about dearly-departed; I'd be fine with that! But these movies honestly have a pace that would really be messed up if you threw that in as-is. Luke saying "I can't believe he's gone" about Obi-Wan is good enough for me.

And besides that, in the new canon novel Heir to the Jedi, after a certain character dies, it allows Luke to pour out his grief over all the deaths in his past, like Owen/Beru, Obi-Wan, and Biggs. These things, I think, are good for exposition in novels. Page-time isn't limited like screen-time is, so you can have a long discourse on grieving the loss of those who died. In movies that are generally meant to be light-hearted adventures, it just doesn't fit as much. Like I said, Luke's moment of grief over Obi-Wan, the funeral of Qui-Gon, Yoda's passing, etc. are about all we need, in-film, to show the characters' grief.

10. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Well, you know what Star Wars says about attachments, so...

WriterMan and darth-sinister like this.
  11. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    grieving is done off screen later.

12. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Eh... seems pretty realistic to me. This is a war (it's right there in the title) and in wars, people die pretty frequently. Not just the ones we know the names of but how many unnamed mooks on both sides, poor anonymous rebel soldiers and stormtroopers, they were all someone's son/father/husband/wife/daughter etc etc. Sadly, dying and being forgotten is pretty much a fact of life... well, lack of life anyway. And hardly exclusive to Star Wars in purely filmic terms either!

13. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I always wonder this during the opening scene of ANH when the Stormtroopers kill all the Rebel soldiers, including the guy held up, choked, killed, and thrown against a wall by Vader.

Also, the Royal Awards Ceremony always makes me uncomfortable. That a bunch of guys died during the utmost important battle of the whole Saga, that a few dozen X Wings and Y Wings were dispatched to go fight against the Empire and only a few made it back, yet here we are celebrating these two guys and their furry sidekick as if they were the only ones in the battle.

And yea, I agree with your whole assessment. Both Rebel Alliance and Empire soldiers get killed, civilians get killed, there's Aldeeran obviously, all the maintenance guys and administrative staff on the Death Star, and it's all just glossed over. From that opening scene in a ANH we get a trail of bodies violently put to their deaths that just continues on throughout the entire saga. When you think about it, all the death and warfare and violence that takes place, the deep seeded hatred between two sides, Star Wars is actually quite a dark and violent series of films.

14. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Originally, Luke did have tears in his eyes when he went to fire the torpedoes, but it never made it into the film.

Yoda and Obi-wan are the only Jedi who are capable of retaining their identities and being seen. Qui-gon has probably moved on into the Force.

Leia says that they will mourn Alderaan later. This falls under Lucas's philosophy that you can mourn when the time is right, but to not cling onto that emotional pain because it will drag you down.

Captain Antilles.

You've never see an awards ceremony in the real world, have you?

War is not a pretty, nor a civil action. That's why it is called, "Star Wars".

15. Tito-Wan Kenobi

May 14, 2015
    For sure, I don't only reference lack of mourning (which we saw for Obi-Wan, but poor Biggs was forgotten in an instance). I also mean the lack of future reference to those characters as if the never existed in the first place. No anecdote, no reference, no connections. It weakens saga cohesion.

16. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Thanks for the clarification. I'll be sure to keep it in mind.

And yea, I have seen awards ceremonies. There is always mention of the dead. I've seen guys get awarded the Medal of Honor who only chose to receive it as a symbolic gesture to honor the guys they served with who didn't make it back.

Sarge likes this.
  17. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

There's more important things going on.

Right, but this is the end of the film. It would be clunky to stop to honor the dead at the end of the film. That's why you don't see such things in movies like this.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. Tito-Wan Kenobi

May 14, 2015
    Sorry, but that's not enough! Over-arching stories make references to past events (Clone Wars, Jedi Knight history, start of the rebellion) and to past characters (yet this is missing here). History is the connecting force behind the saga, since it spans so many decades. One would think reference to past, now dead characters would permeate. It's part of the retconn problem.

Rellum Kire likes this.
  19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The living are mentioned. The dead, not so much. Retcons are not the problem. Lucas never mentioned these things within the OT when it was made originally. George Lucas and Lawrence Kasdan were not Joss Whedon. They wrote what was relevant to the story.

20. chagrian_scavenger

chagrian_scavenger Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 17, 2015
    I agree that a lot of the mourning probably happened off-screen.
    I can imagine Luke shredding some tears over Biggs after he blew up the Death Star (and before the medal ceremony).

Kenneth Morgan and Valairy Scot like this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Some people aren't emotional and don't make a public spectacle of grief. Doesn't mean there isn't any.

22. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I'm more concerned about this sort of thing happening in books, or soaps,

in movies...not so much.

23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I haven't read the original novel in decades, but IIRC after Biggs died, it said something like, "Luke angrily brushed the tears from his eyes. They were blurring his view of the target scope."

24. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    luke didn't reply immediately. his eyes were watering and he angrily wiped them clear. They were blurring his view of the targeting readout.

25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    We will always be a pair of shooting stars. We will never be stopped.

SateleNovelist11 and Iron_lord like this.