main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga How the Dead are forgotten in SW

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Tito-Wan Kenobi, May 21, 2015.

1. hairymuggle

hairymuggle Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2014
    If each character spent even 5 secs of screen time mourning their dead they'd be crying for three films straight really. They didn't show Leia's grief for Alderaan because she had a rebellion to run and torture to withstand, and she's not the main character at that point (but in ESB she and Chewie flip out on Lando after Han turns popsicle). Obi Wan wasn't shown mourning for Qui Gon in the next two films because he's in a war and it's been what, 13 years? Plus, he's pretty stoic even for Jedi. In any case Obi Wan seemed pretty happy with Qui Gon's "return" in ROTS.

2. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    It also mentions how Red Leader (Blue Leader in the book) saw John D. get shot down. He reacts for a moment, then puts it aside. As the book puts it, "He had more important things to do."

Grieving is a private matter, anyway. And if they were constantly referencing past deceased characters, I'm sure some fans would complain about the frequent callbacks.

anakinfansince1983 and Sarge like this.
  3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    In the case of Biggs, there was no reason for Luke to keep referencing him since he's made new friends and has let go of his attachment to his friend. With regards to the Lars, there really isn't much that can tie something they said to the present. Luke's conflict with Owen was over going off on a grand adventure versus staying behind to be a farmer. There wouldn't be some sage advice that would be relevant as opposed to Obi-wan talking about Yoda in TPM. Nor would complaining that Owen didn't tell him that his father was a Jedi, much less Vader work in that context since he wouldn't be angry at him, but at Obi-wan.

4. Scholomancer

Scholomancer Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 16, 2010
    I think the movies are too fast-paced for emotional development except over the course of the movies. Han Solo, and Anakin and Luke Skywalker are the only examples I can think of in terms of character development.

And yes, for the warriors (Imperials and Rebels alike), there is no time for grieving, as most personal war accounts can attest. That's why there is things like PTSD, and why stories like "The Death of Captain Waskow" by Ernie Pyle, a journalist, are so powerful as it gives a voice to those who cannot yet speak or deal with it.

With that said however I was always surprised at how there was no further reference to Alderaan after it's destruction; no monuments, not propaganda like "remember Alderaan", etc.

Btw:
    http://mediaschool.indiana.edu/erniepyle/1944/01/10/the-death-of-captain-waskow/

Sarge likes this.
  5. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Lucas, Kasdan and Kershner didn't go that route because they weren't doing that type of film. It was a simple, "Flash Gordon" type of film. The rallying cry was, "May The Force Be With You", which was both a blessing and a remembrance of the Jedi.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  6. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Despite the 'Wars' bit of the title it was never going to be something 'Born On The Fourth Of July... IN SPACE' and nor was it intended to be. (I know SW came first before the pedants chime in, it's a comparison of tone only.) The first in particular is basically pulp sci-fi, as darth-sinister says a 'Flash Gordon' type of movie making. Emotional resonance and the horrors of war were never part of the equation, it's about lightsabers and star-fighters and aliens. The emotional wallop comes along in the second film (which whilst the darkest features very little deaths, even of redshirts, after the Hoth fight) and the Big Paternity Reveal. And in the third film there's the memorial feast afterwards and part of that expressly IS remembering the dead. (And part of it is also playing helmets like drums, because Ewoks.)

7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    And even TESB was nothing like war movies made since the late 70's. As noted, Lucas isn't big on clinging to the deceased. You see it in only one Indiana Jones film and that was the last one, but that was also the vision of Steven Spielberg who is much different from Lucas, which Lucas admitted was always more his vision than his own. Meaning that what was put in Raiders carried all the way through to Kingdom.

8. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    They were celebrating the first major victory against the Empire. Despite the losses they took it was a time to celebrate. Like in LOTR when Rohan celebrates after Helm's Deep despite the fact that they lost about half their fighters.

Sarge likes this.
  9. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I don't know, I don't really agree.

Qui-Gon dies in Episode I and is remembered in Episode II (by Dooku) and Episode III (by Yoda).
    Shmi dies in Episode II and is remembered in Episode III (by Anakin).
    Dooku dies in Episode III and is remembered in Episode IIII (by Grievous).
    Anakin "dies" in Episode III and is remembered in Episode IV (by Obi-Wan).
    Padmé dies in Episode III and is remembered in Episode VI (by Luke and Leia).

I don't really see why characters should remember other characters that they haven't even known to begin with. Why would Luke remember Mace Windu?

Forgetting Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen was poor, though. Should have been much more of a driving force for Luke, imo, pushing him more towards the dark side in ANH (thoughts of revenge etc.).

10. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    What really irritates me about A New Hope is that Tarkin never sheds a tear over Porkin's death:p

Scholomancer likes this.
  11. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Good point. Still though, I think what makes me uncomfortable about it is knowing that throughout the OT there never is any mention of the soldiers who sacrificed their lives for the Rebellion.

You know how Mon Mothma says "Many Bothans died to bring us this information", at some point later in the films it could have been something as simple as that to mention the Rebel soldiers who have died in their recent struggles. It wouldn't have to be right after any specific battle or event, not even a reference to a specific battle, just a brief mention of the amount of guys who died to get them to that point. Maybe Ackbar could have said it before the second Death Star battle or something. Or even another Rebel soldier or pilot, perhaps a brief conversation between two of them, to establish even more motivation within the Rebel ranks to defeat the Empire. It would have fit perfectly well with the pacing and mood of that scene.

In a realistic sense, a lot of soldiers would feel that way, to see to it that the deaths of their comrades would ultimately mean something and that they're efforts have not been in vain.

I mean, if they can take the time to have Han, Luke, Leia, and Chewie do their little "I'm in, count me in, power rangers power up!" agreement to go down to Endor, they surely could have placed a one liner somewhere about the sacrifices made earlier in the saga by other Rebel soldiers to get them all to that point.

Sarge and Cushing's Admirer like this.
  12. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    "Many Bothans died to bring us this information."

Mothma shows a great deal of emotion in that side, taking a moment in the middle of a military briefing to think on the lives that had been lost to get to that point.
    Deleted Scene:
    "Hey Chewie remember all those guys that got fried by the walkerson Hoth? I sure do miss those guys."

jakobitis89 and Rellum Kire like this.
  13. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012

I agree, I think Vader should have used that against Luke in ESB and maybe even ROTJ. Kind of like how and I'm not sure if it was the script or filmed, but in the ROTJ book, Palpatine mentions Obi-Wan and Yoda to Luke:

It would have been a great scene after the Yoda/Sidious duel in ROTS.

Sarge likes this.
  14. Tarkin's Fuzzy Slippers

Tarkin's Fuzzy Slippers Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2014
    Yes, it's not like Luke didn't grieve for Briggs, and his Aunt and Uncle off screen or anything like that, seriously what is kind of lack of thought is this?