main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How the hell does all this RPG stuff work??? I want in!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Shadow_of_Evil, May 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    Hey everyone... I'm knew to this RPG stuff and it sounds very fun and interesting. But does someone wanna fill me in on the whole way it all works? consider me as a new born that knows nothing at all about RPG.....

Please help

2. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    You sit down with a group of people. Each one, except one, has a piece of paper that describes their character. This character is the role they have to play. In other words, they are actors.

The one without the character sheet is the Game Master. the Game Master is the storyteller. He/She creates a story and lets the players act out their characters within that story.

Any important action taken by the Game Master or a Player is usually ruled by a die roll. The roll tells the players whether the action succeeded or failed. Then they must react accordingly.

Hope that helped!

3. The_Ghost

The_Ghost Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2003
    remember playing "cops & robbers" when you were a kid? Roleplaying is that, but with rules set up so you don't get into the "i shot you! no you didn't!" arguments time & time again.

4. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    Just started playing the RPG... couldn't have said it better :)

5. sedrynvagor

sedrynvagor Jedi Master star 1

May 11, 2003
    Ive just ordered my Revise Rule book. Cant wait.

Sedryn

6. VirusTruth

VirusTruth Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2003
    Roleplaying games are the best!

Especially when YOU are the gamemaster!! [face_mischief]

7. The_Ghost

The_Ghost Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2003
    that's subjective. i am both player and DM. i can't say one is more fun than the other.

i can say i enjoy Star Wars RPG better than D&D, but that's also subjective.

8. Jedi_KNick

Jedi_KNick Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2003
    Is there a way for a player to be a hero and GM?

9. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    That's what NPCs are for.
    Or you can be in several games at once.

But the true way to be both a Hero and a GM is to deal with annoying players in such a way that they never come back without ruining the game or the mood for the other players.
    Ah, the challenges...

10. Mayhem

Mayhem Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    I prefer being the player. Though I only GM'd once so it was all new to me from that end. Alot of work I must say.
    Who's to say I wouldn't have loved the power of GM'ing though once I got used to it.

With playing though, I like the ability to just sink into your character. Too me, thats what role playing is.

11. Master_Rush

Master_Rush Jedi Youngling

Jul 28, 2003
    Do you have to have a special book or something? I dont have any idea how to play

12. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Yes, you are going to need at least the main rulebook. You have to buy the STAR WARS REVISED CORE RULEBOOK by Wizards of the Coast, or the Star Wars RPG by West End Games, but WEG sucks.

//is shot to death by WEG loyalists

Ok, ok, just kidding. :D

13. Mind-Trick

Mind-Trick Jedi Youngling

Aug 3, 2003
    Sounds incredibly fun!!! How much is a core... whatever book?

14. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    Retail is $40, but if you look around online you can find it cheaper.

15. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    Retail is $40, but if you look around online you can find it cheaper.

Just wanted to make sure you got that. :p

16. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Look up "WEG Starwars books" on ebay, and chances are you'll find about 300 entries, 80 of which will be books or sets of books.

17. IkritMan

IkritMan Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 11, 2002
    I kinda played the RPG with my friend. I thought is was awesome, but everything seemed really slow. Does anyone have any tips on how to keep things moving?

18. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    Things will naturaly start to move faster when y'all become more familiar with the rules and the feel of the game. Other than that, if you want to keep the game moving at a fsat pace, try to keep the out of character chatter to a minimum, and the GM should make sure that he is well prepared for the adventure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.