main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How the Three Directors Work

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by VaderRulesLife, Oct 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    What are you talking about? I've spoken to these people, been taught by them and worked with them. I ask them what they like. I know its a generalisation, but we were talking in general terms.

I think you're missing the point. He almost did because it is similar. Like JJ is similar. Being similar does not make you a mimicker.

Reviews are how people achieve 'greatness' in the public domain. I never said he is a master filmmaker, only that he is great at what he does and deserves to be respected more (in my opinion, since this seems to be beyond implication for some) than a mere copy-cat.

2. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    For me the popular consensus for 'greatness' is usually achieved when a film/films permiates popular culture to the point where its iconography becomes shorthand... and/or is regarded as defining a genre, period or establishes a new form/techniques. It's not an exact science, and perhaps the 'best' technical film doesn't always become the one deemed 'great' (for example I've never really rated The Wizard of Oz or Vertigo). It's worth stating as well that context is key. If one doesn't understand the context, one can't fully appreciate the significance e.g. watching Whale's Frankenstein, without the wider appreciation, would probably leave one thinking it a camp and stilted (as far as acting is concerned) old film.

3. Red_Leader_313

Red_Leader_313 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 30, 2014
    Well, I think you need to speak with, learn from, and work with more. Why should you assume that others haven't had those experiences? Why should you assume your anecdotal evidence is more indicative of the truth than others? My whole issue with you on this matter is that you are reducing someone's nuanced opinion to fit the needs of your argument. If I was one of the people you had spoken to, and I had offered my negative opinions on Attack of the Clones, would you then be including me in this lump of people who "don't respect Star Wars?"

It is false for you to drop a claim like, "people only respect Lucas because of his innovation" or whatever and then expect us to accept that. I respect Lucas for many, many reasons, and absolutely none of my personal admiration for the man has anything to do with technology.

No one is telling you that you are wrong for liking Abrams, nor am I asking you to say that he's "bad," because that's not how I feel about him in the first place.

Darth PJ likes this.
  4. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Agreed. Many of my professional friends, who like Star Wars, appreciate Lucas' characters (sans Jar Jar perhaps), his approach to world building, his slightly documentary approach and his editing even. Where I would agree with Darth Philospher is that I also have professional colleagues (from both sides of the camera) who dislike Star Wars intensely (both OT and PT). Even Star Wars isn't universally loved.

Red_Leader_313 likes this.
  5. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    I agree that anecdotal evidence is not very substantial, however it's all we really have on this matter. Remember we aren't just talking about 'filmmakers' - the vast majority have respect for SW without measure - we are talking about a very specific subset of the community who, through arrogance or otherwise, don't respect SW (unless my anecdotal evidence and others is way off) and thus shouldn't be utilised as a yardstick for whether JJ is 'great' or not. I mean it isn't a community (the snob community) I think any of us are really a party of, and whose opinion I don't really think is relevant to film as a whole (especially films like this) in any case.

It's fine if you don't like JJ (many don't), but just consider that his talent can't just be scratched up to some cheap mimicry.

6. Red_Leader_313

Nov 30, 2014

I do like JJ though. I just don't think he's a great director, and I think that he copies Spielberg which is something that's holding him back. When he makes a truly original film I hope he finds his own voice.

With all of that being said, the shot of Poe and Finn saying good bye that was released this afternoon gave me chills. I think it's the best thing out of all the material we have seen thus far. It's really invigorating to see Star Wars executed by someone who is actually using the camera to tell a story.

7. SimitarLikeTusk

SimitarLikeTusk Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2014
    I dont think most "Elvis tribute acts" had Elvis right there with them giving input and specific direction on where their act should go. Nor do I think that JJ has ever lifted any specific kind of camera shots or even basic principles of filmmaking directly from Speilberg or anyone else. He is critically respected because, like his style or hate it, he has a unique voice and style that sets him apart from other directors.

Nor does his reboot of Star Trek pay tribute or lift anything from the Star Trek world in directing style.

Are we forgetting he created his most original, unique and iconic work in TV?
    Without Lost there is no 'movie quality cable hour long serialsed drama' TV climate there is today. Without Alias there is no greenlight for Lost.

8. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Agreed. I started out an Abrams skeptic. But every time I see new footage of TFA, that skepticism diminishes. I am now expecting a very good film.

9. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011

We're just going to have to agree to disagree. I don't think being similar to others disqualifies someone from being great - nor do I think he would get the reviews he gets if he was just an 'impersonator'.

10. Red_Leader_313

Nov 30, 2014

You're misunderstanding my fundamental point.

He can be an "impersonator" and still get good reviews, and make enjoyable films.

He can be similar to Spielberg and still be a talented filmmaker. I mean, I won't deny the collection of skills it would take just to imitate one of the greatest filmmakers ever.

But "greatness," a term that I would be careful to define, is a quality I would assign to a director who, among many other qualities, has a singular directorial voice, which I don't think Abrams has achieved at this stage in his career.

11. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Hopefully he finds that voice with TFA.

12. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011

Fair enough. We just disagree what defines a 'great' director - something that is fairly broad in my view (with Abrams not being near the top).

13. Big Boss

Big Boss Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 16, 2015
    i like the 3 director vision. should be good. trevorrow is surely the most questionable one, right? i liked Jurassic World, sure, but i think out of the 3 he and especially the one to wrap up the ST, its a big task. JJ seems to have done an okay job with TFA. Rian im excited for... probably the most because i do like a bit of Rian Johnson. also, i have the feeling itll go a bit darker, which im a fan of. think it was the best decision to go with 3 different directors. other then that i guess we wait and see. does anyone know how involved with the press, fans etc etc the directors referenced are? JJ doesnt seem to be overly indulgent but hes been fair with that. the otherS?

14. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

JJ Abrams is a creative visionary? Perhaps in television, but in film?:confused:

Seeker Of The Whills likes this.
  15. Xodax

Xodax Jedi Knight

Aug 24, 2015
    But one thing is certain the movies cant be worst than attack of the Clones.

darthtimetraveller likes this.
  16. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Rian Johnson is the superior director of the three. By far.

Chained Prometheus likes this.
  17. darthtimetraveller

darthtimetraveller Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2015
    I've seen Looper and Rian's BB episodes, that's it for me, i'm not familiar with any of his other work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.