main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How times change: PT now seems to be the fan preference...

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DarthPoppy, Mar 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I am okay with Anakin Skywalkers representation. He's certainly the most complex and fascinating charakter in the PT though I am not always impressed by the dialogue he was given or the acting.

However, there are some people who kind of idolize him, and excuse his every actions, despite the fact that he was never meant to be an "ideal". That's why I am okay with it if someone explains to his kids why Anakin is a bad role model.

2. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    What you have with Anakin Skywalker, then, is -- predictably and not -- something of a contradiction in terms. He is both sinner and saint, oppressed prodigy and wannabe liberator extraordinaire.

Isn't that what human nature is about in the end . . . a mass of contradictions? Come to think of it, isn't nature basically an expression of the chaos in our universe? Nothing is one thing or the other?

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't know anyone who does that, and I've spent many years putting myself in the company of fellow Anakin fans.

That's not to say that such people don't exist, I don't personally know everyone who has seen Star Wars; however, I do know that there is an annoyingly common and highly unfair misconception about Anakin fans that we "excuse his every action." Stating that we understand why he was led to take certain actions, does not equate to stating that the actions themselves are acceptable. Understandable and morally correct are not the same.

My issue with the statement in the video, besides the arrogance of the statement that "We know better" as if he speaks for everyone, is this: why not allow kids to watch and ask questions, rather than trying to steer them to a certain opinion about a character before they even watch? Seems that if a kid asks, "Why did Anakin choke Poggle the Lesser?" The answer could be, "Because he was angry that Poggle was trying to kill Ahsoka--and he was wrong to react that way."

I also have issues with encouraging kids to "find role models" anyway. I'm trying to raise leaders, not followers. All humans are flawed; my hope is that my kids will be true to themselves and not emulate anyone. If Anakin is a "model" of anything, it is a representation of the consequences of bad choices. And that being said, particularly on the "role model" front, I will be upset if my kids come to the conclusion that Vader is some sort of "cool badass", which seemed to be a common perception among kids of my generation and a little younger (those born in the 70s and 80s). So far that hasn't happened.

4. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    I wouldn't say that human nature is "a mass of contradictions". I believe it is more like a series of predictable mechanistic outcomes and contradictions that are fundamentally explicable (we simply have incomplete frameworks, lacking both the knowledge -- and perhaps the mental apparatus -- to derive complete understanding). Short answer, yes. Long answer, no. In general.

Nature, as the term is conventionally understood, is material reality as a function of physical processes, which are theoretically accessible to reason and logical denotation and transcription (i.e., mathematics). Given the fact -- in as far as we know it -- that the universe exists and operates according to fixed principles, nature is viewed as a product of order: cosmos, not chaos. The common scientific implication is that chaos is anything we don't yet understand; or anything that exists beyond the scope of knowledge (including anything that can't be known; see --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncertainty_principle ). Short answer, no. Long answer, yes. Sort of.

5. daveeek

daveeek Jedi Padawan

Jun 21, 2011
    Its funny because when TPM first came out i loved it and saw it 6 times at the cinema, but as time has gone on ROTS is now my favourite and TPM less so however its a STAR WARS movie so it's not like i dont love it!!

6. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Beautiful review, has it been discussed on these boards at all?

I've never had a problem with Christensen, aside from a few awkwardly delivered lines. If anything, I was more annoyed with Portman, who didn't even seem to be trying half of the time (in AOTC, she was decent in ROTS).

7. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Well, I've seen a few, mostly fanfiction writers, who did seem to sugarcoat what he was. But then again I've also seen fanfiction writers who would do the same with other charakters. And some are doing it in different fandoms. Unreflective gushing isn't limited to Anakin fans. It just seems to happen a lot to bad boys.

I wasn't commenting on the video on that post. That said I am all for parents "explaining" something to kids, with real, logical arguments instead of dogmatic downtalking. Explaining something invites discussion and that is good in my book.

Well, all the newspapers seem to agree that role models are important to kids, whether we like it or not. So there's that. We humans initially learn from copying others, it takes time until we evolve real independent thought, because it takes time until we find our "real self". That process seems to start at puberty, but before that... I remember my own childhood. When I was really small I was certainly much more easy to impress than today. Good thing I had some good role models that showed me tolerance.

8. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    True story - and just happened within the past 2 weeks.

They really do exist = people who have not seen Star Wars at all. They've heard of George, they know the main theme music but their vessel is so empty, they're not exactly sure who Yoda is.. So -

New person at work - very likeable, we chat - my work space is pretty much plastered with SW so of course, she asks. I start with a very vague outline as to the order they were made and why that happened. I offer her my dvds which she takes (all 6) home to watch with her husband. I had suggested they watch OT first but they chose to start with the prequels and TPM. BOTH of them prefer the prequels in a huge way. While they think the OT is sort of funny, they're finding it difficult to finish them since they're "not very deep". What she finds fascinating is that we know the father/son and brother/sister situations and the characters don't. That's what's keeping them watching.

I told her to hang in there - there are huge rewards. But our conversations and her questions all involve the prequels... She and her husband feel Anakin never had a chance - they noticed the deprivation of Shmi, the lack of understanding, compassion and the hypocrisy and deliberate blindness of the Jedi Council.

P.S. - I deal with juvenile deliquents and parental child abuse....she deals with adoptions.

9. Gary_Buchenara

Gary_Buchenara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2009
    In response to the OP, I'd say it depends on how you define fans. What you see here in terms of opinions of the respective trilogies obviously doesn't reflect opinions in general. Opinion amongst Star Wars also differs markedly from that of film fans in general. One thing I would say though, is that with the passing of time the PT is now starting to be viewed more objectively, as opposed to in constant comparison to the OT.

10. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I like all six movies the same, but the younger crowd likes the PT more, there is way more action in the PT. The whole PT vs OT topics and rants are really getting tired. Not saying that is what you are doing, but fans who do that...well...right now it is all about the SAGA. The complete SAGA is what matters.

11. Boom_Pow

Boom_Pow Jedi Youngling

Jul 2, 2009
    For me, I still prefer the OT. The PT is great as I love the saga as a whole but I still have a hard to seeing the PT as anything more than just back story for the OT. When I watch a prequel, any one of them, I find myself constantly thinking of how a particular scene or story element effects what we see in the OT. Hardly ever while watching any of the OT do I think about the PT.

12. sam_

sam_ Jedi Youngling

Aug 10, 2011
    I think it depend from which generations people are. If you have grew up with the Trilogy for exemple, then it probably has a place in your hearth that the Prequel's movie will never have. It can be the same if you've grew up with the Prequels.

I do not think that the Prequel is now without a doubt the fan's preference. It is clear to me that lots of fans still prefer the Trilogy. It is classic movies where the Star Wars that we know and like is born and that is very hard to put behind the Prequels. But, I am a Star Wars Saga fans. To me, Star Wars its base on six movies and not less.

13. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Oh yes!!! They are definitely out there and there are many of them!!! who no clue. They know some characters here and there, but if you asked them who Kill Jango Fett, they would just look crazy lol.

14. C Creepio

C Creepio Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 1999
    I'm mid-30's and was at a baseball game with a friend who is also mid-30's. During the game, he quoted Jar Jar Binks and I laughed and said "I can't believe you just quoted Jar Jar." He asked me if I liked Jar Jar and I said at first he was kind of annoying but now that I have a 6 year old and see how much she loves Jar Jar, he's not too bad.

The discussion evolved into us agreeing that the prequels have been unfairly based all this time and that if you watch TPM again, it actually held up pretty well over the last 10-12 years and is a pretty good movie. It's easy to forget how ground breaking that movie was - there were almost NO digital creatures before TPM and certainly no digital speaking characters. Now you can find this stuff is almost every action movie.

I still prefer ESB and ANH to any of the prequels so I won't say I prefer the prequels but I definitely appreciate them more now than I did 5-10 years ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.