main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How to calm one's tortured soul because Greedo shoots first...

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by The_SAGA, Jul 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Perhaps I can restore my faith in Han's viciousness by imagining that, in a cut scene, before he leaves the Cantina, he randomly shoots some small children just to prove how bad ass he is.

Hence, "Sorry about the mess."

-sj loves kevin spacey

2. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "The explanation put forth by the original post was that Greedo fired a warning shot and intentionally missed Han. Then Han shot to kill. That is in keeping with his character. Care to dispute any further?"

I don't need to...the films already do it for me...

Han: Over my dead body.

Greedo: Thats the idea.
    Greedo: I've been looking forward to this
    for a long time ...

HAN: Yes, I bet you have ...[/b][/i][/blockquote]Seems awful clear to me. Did you think Greedo's been looking forward to [i]firing a warning shot[/i] for a long time?

3. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    And it doesn't really make sense that Greedo would fire a warning shot at a dangerous person who could easily kill him. Wouldn't he know that would just cause Han to shoot him?

I'm so, no matter how you slice it, I'm never going to like Greedo shooting first. Some other changes I can go with, even though I'd prefer the OOT, but this just irks the flea.

-sj loves kevin spacey

4. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    Has anyone here seen the old black and white rough cut of the cantina scene, with Greedo's lines spoken by an English actor, and not in Huttese?

I think the dialogue is a bit different in that version, which is somewhere on the net, and may shed light on any different intentions Lucas may have had for the scene back in the day.

The 'warning shot' explanation works a treat actually.

Just because Greedo threatens Solo it doesn't necessarily follow he was immediately about to kill him- 'that's the idea' is just a taunt, and 'iv'e been looking forward to this...etc.' could just as easily be him looking forward in general to Han's downfall, be it financial or physical in nature.

5. Hans_Olo

Hans_Olo Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 14, 2002
    I'm just going to pretend that Obi-Wan felt a distubance in the Force and uses the Force to cause Greedo's blaster to miss, thus saving Han and ensuring their transport to Alderaan. yeah....

6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, there we go Hans. Whew, thank goodness Obi-Wan's so awesome :)

-sj loves kevin spacey

7. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Han is a "shoot first, ask questions later" kinda guy.

8. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "Has anyone here seen the old black and white rough cut of the cantina scene, with Greedo's lines spoken by an English actor, and not in Huttese?

I think the dialogue is a bit different in that version, which is somewhere on the net, and may shed light on any different intentions Lucas may have had for the scene back in the day."

I have it at home, and will have to check later. That being said, I know the 4th version of Star Wars had Greedo asking Han if he was ready to step outside or be killed in the cantino. Han said the owners may not like that, and Greedo shrugged it off, so no, there is still nothing to support Greedo giving a stupid warning shot.

9. Darth_Deagol

Darth_Deagol Jedi Master star 2

Dec 22, 2002
    MeBeJedi:

"Seems awful clear to me. Did you think Greedo's been looking forward to firing a warning shot for a long time?"

Hey, all I said was that the explaination was in keeping with Han's character. I never said anything about Greedo. In that you make a good point, the provided explanation does not seem to be in keeping with Greedo's dialogue.

I would also make it clear that I feel scene is much better the way it was originally. There didn't need to be some contrived explanation to have it fit in.

But the explanation provided in the original post still stands as the best I've heard for the scene and at least keeps Han's character even if it does nothing for Greedo's. But, who really cares that much about Greedo anyway?

10. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Lucas does, apparently. ;)

11. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    But it would be totally 'in character' for Greedo to be lying- he may not be authorised to kill Han at all.

Jabba doesn't kill Han when he runs into him later on. Boba Fett specifically says 'he's no good to me dead', and Jabba in Jedi hasn't killed Han, rather keeping him as a momento.

I don't believe it's much of a stretch to assume that despite what Greedo might say in the scene, these are just empty threats because he's been ordered to bring Solo to Jabba alive. Han responds with typical unconcern to these threats, so in order to get serious and force Solo to come along, Greedo fires a warning shot.

Han, realising how insignificant Greedo is in the Jabba crime syndicate food chain blows him away- he's a minor annoyance who might have become a threat.

I believe in this reading of the scene- Greedo was never going to kill Han- he wasn't allowed. He was just full of piss and wind, and overstepped the mark to the extent that Han felt justified in eliminating him.

12. NtriusBIL

NtriusBIL Jedi Master star 1

Feb 10, 2004
    I like solojones' idea of having han kill some more people just to show he's still the baddest. Maybe when he says "Sorry about the mess" they can digitally replace the money he tosses with a grenade. Or take it out completely and have Han just raise up a gun and blow the bartender away.

13. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
  14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    [face_laugh]

Or add dozens of CGI body parts and writhing, moaning customers à la Showdown at the House of Blue Leaves in Kill Bill ;)

-sj loves kevin spacey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.