main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How to get the most out of the Star Wars saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Scott3eyez, Jun 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    The fact is, you can talk about what you would remove/include in the films until the cows come home, but it's not going to change what they are.

So without changing the films what advice would you give to someone in order to get the most out of the Star Wars films? What other films have you seen, or books have you read that make you see something good that you might otherwise have missed?

For example, the Force is clearly inspired by religions such as Buddhism- knowing a bit about the religions that inspired it enriches the films.

Or Robert M. Pirsig's books (Lila and Zen & The Art of Motorcycle Maintenence)- I don't know if Lucas has read them, but I can't help but think of the Force when I read what he writes about "quality"- and those ideas enrich the films for me.

Or Luc Besson's film "The Messenger" makes me think that Joan of Arc thinking she's doing God's will seems similar to Anakin (presumably) thinking he's doing the right thing when he turns to the Dark Side.

On the other hand, what little EU I've read just puts me off the whole lot...

Anyone else have anything that makes the saga better for them?

2. k-man

k-man Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    Read the Magic of Myth, the Smithonian's guide to their Star Wars exhibit. I had been a fan for 20 years and reading the first chapter of this book put Star Wars in a whole new light for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.