HOW TO MAKE LIGHTSABERS 2.0

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by DorkmanScott, Nov 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. Vidina Jedi Master

star 4
    I seriously doubt ILM used Shake for the sabers. Seriously.
  2. SkateBoy84 Jedi Padawan

idk you can only check out amazon and www.apple.com/shake and then decide but does this look good i made it in blender
    [image=http://file047a.bebo.com/3/large/2009/02/28/23/8655174355a10221850684l.jpg]
  3. Vidina Jedi Master

star 4
    If you don't know, don't claim to. If you're basing the knowledge on the fact that Shake kicks ass, you should know that Shake is discontinued, and AFAIK, it's beeing slowly replaced by The Foundry's Nuke. Shake is powerful, sure, but IMHO, After Effects can do more these days, layer-based or not, it's getting pretty damn good these days, and shake is only getting older. As for Blender, concerning the fact that it's free, it does a damn decent job.
  4. SkateBoy84 Jedi Padawan

ya i realized that i hav after effects and hav no idea wut shake can do i just watched a youtube video of how to do it in shake and they said that was the official way but thats just because that was in a book
  5. Vidina Jedi Master

star 4
    IIRC, the blades were painted(roto'ed), and a guy wrote a plugin to deal with the glows. They didn't necessarily have to even use an application.
  6. tumblemoster Jedi Master

star 4
    The Shake saber chapter in The Encyclopedia of Visual Effects was written by an ILM artist who did sabers in the prequels, and his method is very precise and Shake specific. Shake is discontinued, but no less useful, and there is talk of a Shake update (or a replacement called Phenomenon) coming at WWDC along with the Final Cut Studio update.
  7. Vidina Jedi Master

star 4
    needless to say, said phenomenon and/or FCS didn't receive any updates this year either. Phenomenon has been discussed and rumored for a good 2-3 years now, and no news has been posted about it what so ever. Tragic, really. Nuke is good, but I don't consider it a true successor to Shake at all. The only reason I don't like AE as opposed to Shake is the lack of nodes. Adobe should definitely add the option to switch to a nodal system, but keep layers in there as well.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.