How to Make the Love Story More Believable

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by Binary_Sunset, May 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Of all the excellent points being made in contradiction to Binary_Sunset's well thought-out but (IMO) flawed critique, Charlemagne's ring the truest. There are many reasons for Padme to empathize with Anakin's destruction of the Tuskens, not the least of which is that he helped save her homeworld from invasion, and her people from death.

Yet at the same time that Anakin is a god-like hero, he is also, after all, only human. One trait I have noticed among young women is their desire to change their partner, to "fix" their mates' perceived flaws. Padme, I think, knows that what Anakin has done is wrong, but she's able to forgive him for it, and move on.
  2. Ree Yees Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Actually, criminals/rapists/murderers are a very popular bunch of gentlemen among women. They receive countless letters at their prisons from female admirers. So I'd say Padmé has gone kinky all the way baby :)
  3. Kolibri Jedi Youngling

ShaneP wrote:
    This is two young lovers in a fantasy! Believability? How about Anakin sittin' in the Lars' garage with a six-pack of blue milk while Padme' shoeless and with no makeup sonders in:

Padme: You pig!
    Anakin: Don't make me go darkside wench!

Oh man, this is the funniest thing I've read or seen in a while. Well, since that Triumph Star Wars bit on Conan the other night.

And about this whole topic with the confession scene, I agree with LLL. I'd also like to add that Padme doesn't believe this is the sort of thing Anakin is capable of on a regular basis or in any normal situation. It's not everyday your mother is tortured and killed by a pack of nomadic animal-like people.
  4. abmccray Jedi Youngling

star 2
    You all seem to be ignoring the fact that Padme has known Anakin for approximately TWO DAYS.

So defenders, let me get this right. You think that a 24 year old Senator, who has HAD romantic relationships in the past (sorry people, the romantically inexperienced excuse doesn't fly - you should have paid attention to the film), would fall for a TEENAGE guy who is obsessive compulsive - the only things that he says to you are "I love you!" and "They're holding me back!" Not only do you allow him to kiss you before any meaningful converstaion developed, besides "I love you!" and "I'm head of security here, m'lady!", you then roll around with him in a field for an hour, after which he gives you a long speech about how much he loves you, then flies to Tatooine and commits an act of genocide. WHAT IS THERE TO LOVE THERE?!

And for those of you who say that Tuskens aren't people - if a dog killed a girl who I knew for two days' parents and she goes and slaughters not only that dog, but 50 other dogs including puppies, I would end that relationship immediately. Anyone with common sense would know that that person is truly messed up in the head.
  5. JediStrider Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Yeah, her last boyfriend was when she was 12 YEARS OLD, so I'd say she's inexperienced. And in case you're wondering, the romance is short intentionally because it's supossed to be brash and not throught through, which leads to its undoing (and causes the rest of the galaxy to be in turmoil). These two people don't have a mature love, they have young lust that is deepened by many tragic happenings and makes them rush into a hasty (and ultimately fatal) decision.
  6. Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master

star 5
    I agree with JediStrider on that. :cool:
  7. abmccray Jedi Youngling

star 2
    No, they did not have a "young lust." Lucas has said specifically that this is a LOVE story, not a "young lust story."

She never said that Paolo was her "only boyfriend." The context was never given. She could have said that Paolo was the guy that devirginized her :)
  8. LLL Jedi Master

star 4
    This has to have taken place over more than two days, folks.

I know the movie moves fast, but for one thing, just look at all the traveling between planets. These aren't 15-minute trips, folks.
  9. SLAVE2 Jedi Knight

star 5
    Padme: You had another nightmare last night
    Anakin: Jedi dont have nightmares

That shows Padme has been around Anakin for a while knowing he keeps having nightmares as its never on screen that he tells her he keeps having nightmares until they leave Naboo.
  10. WickedFierce Jedi Youngling

star 1
    The simple solution would have been to have an actor...DiCaprio maybe, do the mack scenes.
  11. Jedi Merkurian ST Thread Reaper and Rumor Naysayer

Manager
    star 6
    Here's how I would've made the love story more believable. Either one of two things:

Scenario A:
    Change the acting in some scenes so that there was an instant attraction between Padme & Anakin. Get rid of the "you'll always be that little boy" line and the "don't look at me that way" line. Or even if the emotion of the "you're making me uncomfortable" line were different. As it appeared on screen, it looked like she thought Anakin was some kind of stalker. If she were blushing when she said that line instead of looking angry/creeped out, it would've helped considerably.

Scenario B:
    Change the sequence of the scenes on Naboo. If the scenes in the field came before the balcony scene, there would've been some sort of indication of fun & attraction, leading up to The Kiss. As it was, there was no indication of Padme feeling any sort of attraction towards Anakin before they kissed.

That having been said, I do understand the point that this wasn't supposed to be a normal, healthy romance. That's what makes it all the more tragic; if they'd taken their time, things might have worked out much better for the galaxy.
  12. Queen123 Jedi Youngling

The romance is rushed. Yes, that is true. But at the beginning of the movie, Padme is almost killed. One of her imposters is dead. What happens to Anakin's mother? She died. At the end of the movie, Padme is almost killed twice. What does she say to Anakin. She wanted him to know that she loved him before she died.

What happened after 9/11? More people got married and decided to have children. Why? It brings them hope for the future. Death and War bring people together. Death and war brings urgency to romance. At the end of AOTC, why do Anakin and Padme get married? Because they know the future can be very short. Marriage is always rushed in war times. People die in wars. This marriage, however, brief gives them hope.

Queen123
  13. MINI_YODA Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I don't know why everyone assumes that the movie takes place over 2 days. If anything we're looking at 3 weeks.
    Though we saw bits and pieces of OB1's investigation, I would guess that he looked at a number of different scenarios etc.

What we were seeing with Padme and Anakin was bits and pieces of their on-going romance. Even when they first kiss, it is probably after a week of being alone together.
    So by the time Tatooine roles around, she's already deeply in love with him. And that would mean she would take his side no matter what. Especially considering all the noble things he has done since, including helping to save her planet.
  14. abmccray Jedi Youngling

star 2
    There is no indication to show that this is "weeks." If it is weeks, then there is terrible direction involved, since everyone assumes that this is days. (It took weeks to fly to Kamino? Weeks to fly to Genosis? Weeks to talk to the A.I. mecha aliens? Weeks to walk to Jango Fett's room? I don't think so!) If it is not weeks, which there is no indication of, then the original point stands.

Saying "bad dreams again" only indicates that Anakin told her about the dreams, not that she was with him for any amount of time.
  15. MINI_YODA Jedi Youngling

star 2
    No it comes down to you have your take on the timeline and others have theirs.
  16. SLAVE2 Jedi Knight

star 5
    Saying "bad dreams again" only indicates that Anakin told her about the dreams, not that she was with him for any amount of time.

You are wrong. His reply was Jedi dont have nightmares, which totally blows your argument away that he told her he does have nightmares. And you need to realise Obi-Wan doesnt find Kamino in a couple of hours.
  17. abmccray Jedi Youngling

star 2
    "You are wrong. His reply was Jedi dont have nightmares, which totally blows your argument away that he told her he does have nightmares. And you need to realise Obi-Wan doesnt find Kamino in a couple of hours."

You are correct with the 'Jedi don't have nightmares' line, meaning that I'll just go back to the simpler and more obvious argument that "another nightmare" gives absolutely NO indication of weeks.

I need to realize Obi Wan doesn't find Kamino within hours? Why is that? What smidget of indication is there of that in the entire movie?
  18. Durwood Jedi Master

star 5
    Like many revisions by "armchair directors" I say your alterations are different but not better.

I found the love story wholly plausible because I've seen something similiar happen in real life.

I had a friend who had been going out with the same girl for years. This girl used to constantly build him up, tell him how great he was, to the point that my friend thought he was all that and could have any girl he wanted. This parallels Anakin's arragonce because he believes he has the power to get anything he wants.

My friend eventually broke up with his long time girl friend and started playing the field. This was his freshman year in college. Eventually he asked out a senior who was three months from graduation and had never had a serious relationship before. This parallels Padme.

Well, my friend, thinking he was all that, said and did some stupid things in order to win the affection of this young woman, kind of like Anakin's verbal advances on Padme.

This went on for a few days when one day the girl calls up my friend, balling her eyes out and professing her love to him. Here she was, a senior about to launch into the big bad world, and she saw what looked to be the only chance at true romance, so she was ready to jump at the chance without really thinking it through.

This perfectly parallels Padme, a woman who never had the chance to really grow up and who had never had a serious romance until this brash, arragont boy comes along who will do anything to win her affection. Of course, fearing that you'll graduate an old maid is not nearly as traumatic as facing your own execution, so given Padme's upbringing and the certainty of death, she did the only thing she could think to do at the time: Profess her love before it was too late. Given the emotional strain of the moment, this sudden confession of love is entirely plausible. It is also plausible that she would trust the seeming conviction of her own emotions and follow through to the ultimate conclussion of marrying this boy. But like the young woman in my story who later came to regret her decision (she was extremely embarrased by the whole experience and broke up with my friend about a week later) I feel that Padme will come to greatly regret her decision.

Even the most level headed person can behave irrationally if the circumstances are sufficiently traumatic.
  19. ElegantWeapon Jedi Youngling

star 1
    First of all, George says this is a Love Haiku. Not a full blown love story. But I agree it could've been better.
    Most of the scenes with them were good I thought. However they should've cut down the Naboo queen talk, and put in the Naberrie Family interaction.

I REALLY wanted to see Padme's relatives. How cool would it be to see her father and Anakin talking alone?

Also, totally rework Padme's "Truly, deeply, love declaration." That was horrible.

However the interaction on the naboo freighter, the picnic talk, Anakin and her on Tattoin and the fireside chat helped move the love progression. I thought the dinner scene held no purpose.
  20. Corusca-Gem Jedi Youngling

Plocoold siad:

"Anakin may have remorse for his actions. "

Yes - I think this is a definite. I think that mabye a reason at first I had more problems is that on my initial viewing of the film, as soon as Anakin said what he did I was stunned, and focused more on the anger in his eyes and speech thatn on any remorse that he showed. But for instance the novel had him saying how sorry he was. But a lot of viewers noticed the guilt. It was a complex scene, with different nuances.

It will be interesting to see if the guilt is more apparent on a subsequent viewing.
  21. CowMoo Jedi Master

star 2
    I've got to agree with Durwood, Queen123 and others.

Love is not believable nor is it rationale nor is it easy to see it or even to know its there. Or even know what it is.

By definition, it is irrational, unbelievable and corny. That is why there had been hundreds of thousands of definitions and theories, but in the end, none of them can truly define what love is, whatever it may be.

As for the Anakin and Padme love story, no less or more believable than the everyday love stories you hear in real life.

Heck, you hear about the story of a guy who posted up posters asking to find a woman he met for a few minutes on the train? Thats a real life story folks, right here in my homecity.
  22. Jedi_Leia Jedi Youngling

star 1
    This is exactly why I think GL should not have cut the extended confession scene. His remorse and Padme telling him he's only human while embracing him would have made the scene even better, IMO.
  23. Jedi_Leia Jedi Youngling

star 1
    This is exactly why I think GL shouldn't have cut the extended confession scene. Anakin's remorse and Padme telling him he's only human while embracing him would have the scene even better, IMO.
  24. kittenmommy Jedi Master

star 3

Durwood wrote:

This went on for a few days when one day the girl calls up my friend, balling her eyes out

Oh dear... LOL!

Kittenmommy.
  25. jonajonajona Jedi Youngling

You guys are all wrong...
    Anakin's a freaking Jedi and Padme is just to damn fine.
    End of story. Stop dwelling into the movie sooo much.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.