main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How to make title effects with a water ripple?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by falconBMH, May 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. falconBMH

falconBMH Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2002
    Hi everyone. I'm making a documentary for school on water pollution and I'm wondering if there's a way to do title credits in the begginging that initially shows the name but then it ripples away as if it was on the surface of a still pond that was disturbed. I have After Effects and am fairly competent with it. Is there a plugin or something for AE that does this type of thing? Or another program completely?

I know there is a plugin for AE somewhere that makes the words turn into smoke, but what about ripples? Also, I know AE has a PS Ripple effect but the result looks nothing like I'm going for. I want the ripple to be centered in one part of the text and spread outward-the text going with it a bit.

Any help is appreciated..

P.S.-The project is due in two weeks. I'm going to have to work my butt off to get it done in time. :)

2. AWB1989

AWB1989 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 3, 2002
    1. Get footage of a pond.

2. Stick your text layer on top. Apply whatever keyframes are necessary to the text.

3. Use the ripple or PS+ripple effect and try to emulate the ripples on the pond.

That should work.... or if you don't want the pond footage actually there, just use it for reference, and when you're done with it, delete that layer... and if you want the text to look like water, then I suppose you can make the text layer in a 3D program and give it a water texture.

Hope that helps. :)

3. SilverFox0440

SilverFox0440 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    Or use the footage as a displacement map. It would be better-synced but not as accurate.

Or, print the titles and film them being suspended above the pond! Ha. ...

4. Ardens_Furore

Ardens_Furore Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    The best way I could think of is use the PS+ZigZag filter to get the ridges and then use something like spherize to get the text to expand - animate the sphere radius. It looks pretty cheesy when the sphere radius is smaller than the words though.

If you have access to a 3D program, like Lightwave 3D, you can do something better. Make your text in 3D, then convert it to particles. Apply hypervoxels to it, with a nice watery texture. Then, apply a good ripple displacement map. You'll get a really cool morphing effect that really looks like liquid water.

Another thing you could do with Lightwave is to use a sub divided plane. Apply a good ripple displacement map to it. Then, apply a texture of your text. Animate the map and you'll get the proper ripples in a pond look.

5. SilverFox0440

SilverFox0440 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    Metaball particles.

META ball. E before T.

Yes, metaballs would behave correctly.

I assumed since he didn't know this basic question, learning a 3d app would be out of the question.

6. tphsH20Poloman

tphsH20Poloman Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2003
    You can probably use the ripple effect in premier. What I would do is I make a JPEG image of the title. Place it in the Timeline, use the ripple effect, and then use a fade to make it dissapear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.