main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

how to play...

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by JediDavex, Apr 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediDavex

JediDavex Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    Could anyone tell me how to play?? Cause the directions are just too hard...

2. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    Uhh....nope. Just hang out at a card shop, that seems to work.

hey 84, you should bring the "who wants to learn how to play" thread here.

3. JediDavex

JediDavex Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    that would be a good idea...

4. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    Okay here's the rules breakdown I wrote. All tghis text will seem overwhelmig which is why I can't stress enough that anyone who wants to really learn how to play, visit you local gaming store and ask if anyone plays. You can also send me a private message and I can get in contact with yuor local Decipher representative (a.k.a. a Squadron Member):

1. Activate Phase: Count the lightsaber icons on your side of all the locations and then add 1 to that total for yourself. Take a number of cards off the top of your Reserve Deck equal to that number and place them in a pile to the right of your Reserve Deck.

2. Control Phase: It is important to state first that WHENEVER you have a total of 1 or more ability at a location and your opponent does not, then you control that location. However, it is during this phase that if you are still controlling that location you may FORCE DRAIN. When you declare a Force drain at a location you control, the opponent must lose an amount of cards equal to the total Force icons on their side of the location. There are many cards in the CCG that allow you to add to your Force drains, including some of the locations themselves. It is important not to forget that when you are Force draining.

3. Deploy: All cards (except Interrupts and Immediate Effects) can only enter play during the Deploy phase. Locations always deploy for free. All other cards have a deploy cost listed on them. On characters, vehicles, and starships the deploy cost can be found in the the little white box at the bottom, left hand corner. For weapons, devices, and effects the deploy cost can be found in that card's gametext, usually at the very beginning.

You can only deploy characters, vehicles, and starships where you either have saber icons on your side of a location OR where you have presence (total ability of 1 or more at a location). HOWEVER, Spies are not subject to these restrictions.

Capital Starships cannot deploy at sites and starfighters must deploy with a pilot. Starfighters (except TIEs) may also deploy with or without a pilot to a docking bay.

You can deploy as many weapons and devices on a card as you wish, however that card may only use one weapon and one device per turn (except capital starships--they may use as any number of weapons and devices in a turn).

Finally, some cards have a dot (or two or three) next to their name. This means that only one copy of that card (or two or three) can be in play at once. Also there can only be one version of a unique character in play. For instance there are 5 different versions of Darth Vader in the game, but only one version of his persona can be on the table at once.

4. Battle: To initiate a battle at a location you must use 1 Force and both players must have at least 1 ability at the location. Battles are split up into 3 segments--Weapons, Power, and Damage. Before the Weapons segment, your opponent gets a chance deploy or move as a 'react' with any cards which specifically say that they may do so.

WEAPONS- During this part of the battle characters may fire their weapons (if any). You get the first chance to fire. Look at the weapon to see how it works. It will tell you what you need to do. If a character is 'hit' by a weapon and that character has a weapon that has not been fired, then that character still gets to fire it. Any weapon can only be fired once unless that weapon says otherwise.

POWER- To determine who wins a battle add the powers of all your characters and/or vehicles (if the battle is at a site) or starships (if at a system or sector) that are participating in the battle--including 'hit' characters, vehicles, and starships. At this time you may reveal the top card of your Reserve Deck and add the number in the black circle to your power. This is your battle destiny. Battle destiny also triggers something called attrition, but this is the most advanced concept of the game and for now it is not important.

The player with the highest total power is the winner.

DAMAGE- During this segment both players "forfeit" an

5. Jedi Bib

Apr 16, 2000
    Got all that? Good. I expect to see you at nationals.

(Like I'M going there)

6. Stranded in space

Stranded in space Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 13, 2000
    Anyway you could put that into simpiler terms, because i'm still confuse. ?[face_plain]

7. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    That's about as simple as it gets. Why don't you go through the phases and tell me what you're really hung up on. I can help you much better that way.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    woo-hoo, last night, after about 1,937 days of collecting and psuedo-playing, I FINALLY understand attrition!::D

Took me long enough[face_batting]

Now, I can resume my attempts to fully grasp a few deck design concepts and I'll be an almost-decent player!;;D

hehe::)

9. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    YEAH! I'll get the Juri Juice and the Blue Milk and get some Wookie Cookies...
    ;-)

10. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Attrition isn't that hard of a concept. Here's an easy way to sum it up:

When your opponent draws battle destiny, that number is the attrition against you. You must then forfeit cards from the battle location whose forfeit totals at least the attrition against you.

As a general rule, you keep on forfeiting until 1 of these 3 things happens:

1) No more attrition/battle damage/weapons hits are left. You can also lose cards from your hand or Life Force to satisfy battle damage.

2) Everything else at the battle location is immune to the initial attrition.

3) You have forfeited everything at the battle location.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    yeah, the part that confused me and my friend was that we didn't realize that the cards which are forfeited for attrition also counts against the battle damage the loser takes, as well as that attrition is satisfied BEFORE the battle damage. Up till now, what we've been doing is simply adding the destiny draws to our total power and forfeiting cards from both the site and our hand/force piles, only that no matter if you won or lost you needed to forfeit whatever the destiny draw was...I know we were sorta close based on that description but we were really kinda far off on the one concept, but now that I totally understand it, I feel like a huge hurdle has been lifted from my path.

12. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    get ready for this, Quest...there is no set order in which Battle Damage, attrition, and 'hit' characters are lost. Losing a character cause it's 'hit' or for attrition OR losing one *unit* of Force for battle damage are all seperate actions that can take place in ANY order during the "damage segment" of a battle. Look it up in the Gloassary and you'll see.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    DOH!

I thought it was listed first in teh steps, ::goes to look it up:: oh well::)

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    well, maybe it would be best to just type out step by step what me and my friend play it as and you can point out if we're doing anything faulty...

ok, let's say that a battle is initiated at Kiffex, the darkside has a Star Destroyer there with power 8, armor 7 and forfeit 9; and the lightside has 1 y-wing assault squadron and a single Y-wing. Now, let's just say neither has any weapons. Now, since the lightside has an ability of 4 from the permanant pilots aboard the squadron and solo fighter, it draws a battle destiny of 3. So now the darkside needs to forfeit at least a value of 3, so it forfeits the ISD. Totaling power, the darkside had 8 from the ISD and the lightside has a power of 8 + 3 extra from Echo Base Operations + 4 extra from Rebel Planners (since that Col. Feyn is at the same site as RP it applies anywhere) + the 3 from the battle destiny for a total power of 18. So, subtracting 8 from 18 leaves the darkside with a difference of 10 to satisfy, however, since it already forfeited a card with a forfeit value of 9, it only needs to lose 1 more force from it's hand or force pile to satisfy the battle damage. And so ends the battle after this is done.

So, how close am I?::)

15. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    Correct, except that you only get +2 POWER from Rebel Planners. The Assault Squadron counts as one "starship" not three. I know you understnd that concept so it was probably just an oversight. However, General Dodonna does double Rebel Planners so perhaps he would be better in your deck instead of Rieekan (and your POWER from RP would have been +4).

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    yeah, that was an oversight, probably was thinking of having 4 regular y-wings in that example for some reason, oh well.

Anyways, the point being that, even if i can't describe it properly as far it's placement goes, I actually PERFORM the whole attrition thing properly[face_batting]

As for Riekien, I'd rather leave him in there since he requires 1 more hoth site to be occupied to cancel EBO...maybe I'll drop the How Did We Get Into This Mess? Since I haven't really needed to use it the last couple games I played with that deck, I could probably use that slot for Dodanna...which would work well since Princess Organa can pull rebel leaders with ability less than 3...

now I've gone and crossed over topics[face_batting]

17. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    NOW you're thinking like a SWCCG pro ;-)

18. Jedi Bib

Apr 16, 2000
    //head explodes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.