main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How to rip sounds

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by fjrsm, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fjrsm

fjrsm Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Hi

I want to rip some sounds from Star Wars. If I get the videos and turn it to a Wave file, I'll get the background (like voices and such). How can I only rip the Sound from the DVD?

Thanks in advance.

2. keithabbott

keithabbott Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 1998
    You're not going to be able to do it unless it's encoded in surround sound (AC3) and you can segment out the various channels. Even then, it's no guarantee that the voices will be in the center channel. It will likely have small bits of other sound mixed in. But you might get lucky if the unwanted sounds are low enough in the channel's mix.

3. fjrsm

Sep 25, 2007
    Thanks for that info... But how do I rip the actual sounds?

4. Kaat

Kaat Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 5, 2004
    Might I suggest to look into games like Jedi Knight / Outcast / Academy, Battlefront or Empire at War, that often use a whole lot of hiRes, clean sound effects heard in the movies, like blasters, lightsabers, turrets, explosions, force use and such?

If you tell us what sound effects exactly you need, we might be able to find them somewhere else. You'd be surprissed how many Star Wars-sounds can be found in Jedi Outcast (which really isn't hard to extract from, since you only need to find a certain file and rename it to a .zip file to be able to open it and all its subfolders); there's everything from TIE fighters to the sounds of a moving protocol droid.

5. fjrsm

Sep 25, 2007
    It's a Saber Lock Sound. Yoda vs Dooku. Situated between 2:04:12 and 2:04:16 on Attack of the Clones.

6. Scott_M

Scott_M Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2000
    If you know how to actually rip the sound to a WAV, then the simplest thing is to used something like Goldwave to cut the bits out that you want that don't have any other background noises.

Failing that use the Sound Bunker.

7. fjrsm

Sep 25, 2007
    Thank you all for your time. I've managed to get the sound.

By the way... Sound Bunker doesn't have it.

8. TaunTaunHerder

TaunTaunHerder Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 26, 2007

Write a nice letter to Ben Burtt and ask him to send you the sounds.
    He may even be so kind as to email them to you in whatever format
    is compatible with your software.

Couldn't hurt to ask.

Do, or do not. There is no try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.