main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How to sell Anakin's turn...

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Worst_Jedi_Ever, Feb 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Worst_Jedi_Ever

Worst_Jedi_Ever Jedi Master star 1

Jan 13, 2004
    There are two things about Ep III that I think are problematic, and I'd like to propose a "solution" to both of them.

The first problem, as many have observed on these boards, is a lack of surprises for those who are familiar with the CT. Because we already know the next three chapters of the story, the major events of the movie--Anakin turns to evil, Palpatine and Sidious turn out to be the same person, the Jedi are all murdered, the Republic becomes the Empire, etc.--are already laid out for us. There's not much room for a "plot twist"; so little room, in fact, that we wind up having endless discussions on these boards about things like who erased the Jedi Archives, the "true" identity of Sifo-Dyas, and the like. Most of this stuff is trivial, but it doesn't seem like we have much else to talk about.

The next problem is with Anakin's portrayal in the PT. Much has been made os Anakin's essential "goodness", especially in TPM. But even in AOTC, we see him as a troubled young man, driven by loneliness, love for his mother, things like that. Sure, we've got his slaughter of the Sandpeople (and incidentally his "confession" to Padme is one of my fave SW sequences ever), but overall he's really trying to do the right thing most of the time. Frankly, he doesn't seem to be the stuff that galactic tyrants are made of.
    So where am I going with all this? Well, I think that GL's gotta go out on a limb, both to really give Anakin's turn some punch, and to give longtime fans a plot twist that will leave us breathless. Anakin has to do something worse than killing Dooku. He has to do something even worse than killing Mace, or trying to kill Obi-Wan, something worse than turning his back on the Jedi and everything they stand for. He's got to do something that will make the "new" PT fans hate him, and make the "old" CT fans understand how that earnest young man became the terror of the galaxy.

Anakin's gotta kill Padme.

It's the only way.

It is his destiny.

Fire away, guys.

2. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    first off Worst_Jedi_Ever Welcome to the 3nsa boards.

Now that the pleasentry is over.

*Loads Shotgun*

first problem, as many have observed on these boards, is a lack of surprises for those who are familiar with the CT. Because we already know the next three chapters of the story, the major events of the movie

While many fans know what will happen, we are equally concerned how it will happen. It is sort of like a HS math problem, where the process is more important than the product. This is true for many other great tales dating back to they days of the Greek Tragedy. The audience knew full well what would happen, ie. the Trojan horse & the fall of Troy, but what mattered was how the story was told. I know there was a thread up once, asking what would be the one thing that would cause you to walk out of the theatres during epiii, and essentially that is the point. We the die hard fans of Star Wars, especially on the nsa, want to see the story unfold, and enjoy how it happens, not just the end results.

Much has been made os[sic] Anakin's essential "goodness", especially in TPM

People were just looking for something to pick on, and they were upset that we didn't immeaditely see Anakin as a kick @$$ Jedi. An innocent child is the ideal way to show the goodness in everyone.
    Come on, would you really feel for the Anakin character if he was a brat, and was trying to ripe the wings off of Watto.

3. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    The notion that Anakin may be the one who kills Padme has been mentioned several times in the history of this board. I'll ask you to check out the **Official** Fate of Padme Thread and to add your thoughts there if you feel so inclinded. :)

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.