How videogames "might" have screwed up the EU- Darth Kenobi

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ImpKnight, Jan 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImpKnight Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Wow. Looks like fanboyskywalker was on to something. This is ridiculous.

http://kotaku.com/5132905/heres-star-wars-battlefront-iiis-sith-kenobi

:oops:

Interesting, but not really a Lit thread.
  2. DarthUr Jedi Master

star 4
    Show some respect for the dead. Free Radical was a frakking awesome company and it looked like their game was going to be awesome, too. Only the good die young.

And I don't see what's so bad about Dark Kenobi at all, given that it's pretty obvious that he's, y'know, an alternate-universe character. Did you also complain that Battlefront II "screwed up the EU" by having an ending where the CIS won?
  3. ImpKnight Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Believe me, I am extremely upset that FR game got caneed, but I haven't seen anywhere that says the story would be set in an alternate reality. I have read lines like these:

When you say have some repect for the dead, I think Obi-Wan should be included.
  4. DarthUr Jedi Master

star 4
    The game doesn't *entirely take place* in an alternate timeline. The game, like all games that allow players to make meaningful choices, has to *have* alternate timelines, because if everything in the game is "canon" then there's no room for the players to make choices or to succeed or fail.

C'mon, the plot of the game was an *attempt* to turn Jedi to the Dark Side. ATTEMPT. The nature of attempts, in video games, is that they can succeed or fail, and if they succeed then there should be consequences even if the version of the plot where they fail is "canon".

Hey, I heard that Jedi Knight totally messed up the EU -- they had Kyle Katarn go crazy, absorb the near-omnipotent energies of the Valley of the Jedi, and become the absolute ruler of the Second Galactic Empire. Can you believe it?

Again, read the article. It says it's talking about what WOULD HAVE happened if Obi-Wan fell to the Dark Side. WOULD HAVE. Do you honestly think they intended Dark Kenobi and Classic Kenobi to exist as the same person in the same timeline?

I would actually be very excited to read a game where you have the power to make things not happen as the "canon" dictates they did. A game where you can play as the Empire during the Dark Times and derail the events of the OT so that they never happen would, in fact, be freaking awesome, especially compared to the totally on-rails tie-in games they usually make where all you do is accomplish objectives to get from pre-set cutscene to pre-set cutscene. Accomplishing this by successfully turning Obi-Wan and Luke to the Dark Side is awesomer still.
  5. ImpKnight Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Okay, maybe what I don't understand(and probably never will, due to cancelation) is how a regular grunt soldier(your character in past Battlefronts) can influence Obi-Wan and whether or not he goes dark. I understand what you mean with regards to canon endings in games, but I guess I just didn't feel that a Battlefront game would have such a deep story. It would be odd for Lucasarts to put out out a game where there are no in universe consequences, after putting out TFU where pretty much all of the marketing was about "learning what happened between episodes 4 and 5".
  6. BobaMatt TFN EU Staff

VIP
    star 6
    Did you watch the leaked trailer? It doesn't look like your single-player character is just a grunt soldier...it seems like your single player character is an ARC trooper and he's fighting a Jedi with a frakking sword. And the story does look pretty deep. Your right, there are probably elements of this game that will make it into canon, but it's painfully obvious that dark side Kenobi was not intended to be one of them.

So.

Impotent rage averted?

Can we all cry about HOW COOL IT WOULD HAVE BEEN TO FLY YOUR SHIP FROM THE PLANET INTO SPACE??!!! ARGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!
  7. ImpKnight Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I wans't mad, I just thought the whole idea was dumb. I mean look at him. And I thought it was funny because of fanboyskywalker's posts yesterday. I don't know if this is the place to talk about the actual gameplay though.

Although the Battlefront 3 thread consists mostly of people saying, "Man, wouldn't it be cool if...!" [face_tired]

http://boards.theforce.net/games_videogames/b10005/22574488/r29690263/
  8. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Heh. This game looks like it would've been pretty awesome.

Although I gotta say my own mental image of what evil Obi-Wan should look like definitely doesn't look like that. :p
  9. BobaMatt TFN EU Staff

VIP
    star 6
    It appears that the plot may have consisted of an AU history where Kenobi played a Vader-esque role. Fun.
  10. Trip Force Ghost

star 4
    My, that's an astoundingly uninspired character design.
  11. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    Yeah.

I'm all for an infinities evil Obi-Wan, but that guy is boring as.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.