main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How was Anakin educated if he was a slave?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Lucy G, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    I'll choose not to be offended because I believe you've misread my post. I am saying that it is not acceptable, in contrast to an ordinary everyday couple, for the character in the PT that embodies the Republic and what it stands for (democracy) to be so oblivious or simply uninterested in the political acumen of a civil servant assigned to protect her.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    She doesn't pursue it because she knows that he is a Jedi and thus knows these things and she believes that he isn't entirely serious. She chooses to be oblivious which continues all the way until he reveals his true feelings in a serious manner.

3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Well, for starters, school is not the only source of knowledge and education. Being a slave doesn't necessarily prevent one from getting education either. Knowing how to fix things is also not something that out of ordinary, specially when associated with factors like that it was his main job, that he has an interest in it and natural talent for it as well. Being able to understand and speak the two main languages of the planet he's in is something even less out of ordinary.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  4. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    She assumes this. Wrongly, in Anakin's case.

5. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    That's the point.

6. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    That's the problem. Anakin should know.

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Weren't you arguing that the alleged "problem" is that Padmé is "so oblivious or simply uninterested" in the political opinion of a Padawan, and not the opinion itself?

8. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    They're both problematic. One is poorly justified by Padme apparently being totally smitten for Anakin. The other is no justified at all.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I don't see any problem whatsoever. Why would she go all out arguing on politics on a casual (if not teasing) conversation? Why shouldn't Anakin have his own naive opinion on a political system (which also serves as an opportunity to show Palpatine's influence on him)? This is grasping at straws.

10. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Anakin does know better, he just disagrees with the politics of the political system and believes that it should be much simpler than it is. The problem I mentioned is that she's being willfully ignorant of his opinions about dictatorships, by accepting that he was teasing her and wasn't really deadly serious.

11. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    But..
    I'm just not going to pretend that Anakin was sarcastically proposing a democratic system of government in place of the current system.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  12. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Because he’s a Jedi training with the elite of the galaxy — how in the Nine Hells could he not know the basic fundamental facts of the government he’s supposed to defend? If I joined the US military and acted like I didn’t even know the basic facts of the country whose army I just joined, I’d be laughed off the base for being so obliviously stupid.

You don’t even have to be a Jedi to know how the Republic works. Seems to me any child with access to basic education would know. So the fact that Anakin seems to not know is really troubling, and when he realizes that what he just proposed is literally what they have, he backpedals and suggests that maybe a dictatorship would be better.

Again, if I tried what Anakin did (using the hypothetical scenario of me as a member of the US military), everyone at base would think me a complete loon. I mean, just imagine it for a moment:

Private John (my name): “I don’t think this system works.”

Commanding Officer: “Well, son, how would you like it to work?”

Private John: “We need a system where people sit down and discuss what’s in the best interest for all the people...and do it.”

Commanding Officer: <blinks> “Are you stupid, son? That’s literally what our country’s about!”

Private John: “Well, they should be made to, then. Forced to by a singular wise person.”

Commanding Officer: “You mean like a dictatorship? Son, I’ve half a mind to kick you out for this! Did you even pass elementary school? How do you not know these things!? Did your mama drop you on your head when you were a baby!?”

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Martoto77 likes this.
  13. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    But if Commanding Officer had the hots for Private John, he wouldn't think that was strange at all.

14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Who said he didn't know how the Republic works? How does being a teen Jedi in training prevent him from having his own opinion of a political system, naive or not?

Source? How about you argue what I say instead of what I didn't.

15. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    I was replying to Dartlink, Alexrd. There's no need to issue demands.

heels1785 likes this.
  16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I didn't realize you're Padme Amidala.:p

I never said that you had to pretend anything. I said that Padme believes that he wasn't serious about dictatorships. What Anakin proposes is politics without politics. To him the system should be this.

SENATOR #1: "We need to help Naboo in its time of crisis."

SENATOR #2: "I concur with my esteemed colleague."

SUPREME CHANCELLOR: "It is decided."

Instead of what the system is.

PADME: "Honorable representatives of the Republic... I come to you under the gravest of circumstances. The Naboo system has been invaded by the droid armies of the Trade..."

LOTT DOD: "I object! There is no proof! This is incredible. We recommend a commission be sent to Naboo to ascertain the truth."

AKS MOE: "The Congress of Malastare concurs with the honorable delegate from the Trade Federation. A commission must be appointed."

VALORUM: "The point..."

MAS AMEDDA: "Excuse me, Chancellor."

PALPATINE: "Enter the bureaucrats. The true rulers of the Republic. And on the payroll of the Trade Federation, I might add. This is where Chancellor Valorum's strength will disappear."

VALORUM: "The point is conceded. Will you defer your motion to allow a commission to explore the validity of your accusations?"

PADME: "I will not defer. I've come before you to resolve this attack on our sovereignty now. I was not elected to watch my people suffer and die while you discuss this invasion in a committee."

Pretty clear to me what he was saying. You want to call him an idiot, that's your prerogative. But it would be a bit short-sighted.

Alexrd and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  17. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    =D=
    He has his own political views. Still I don't understand how his being a slave and supposedly "uneducated" has anything to do with this. He spent 10 years more or less with the government and on Coruscant. So how could he possibly NOT know about the political system? He just happens to not approve of it, and I can't see why that should be otherwise.

18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yes, you were replying to DARTHLINK, while mentioning me ("he wouldn't think that was strange at all"). Was I wrong?

19. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    "He" being the Commander that's mentioned in Darthlink's posts and within the same sentence where I subsequently adopted the pronoun. You're not the subject of any of my posts.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    My bad then.