main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO How Well Does KOTOR Hold Up

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Ambervikings91, Dec 19, 2016.

?

Is KOTOR still fun?

Poll closed Dec 19, 2017.
  1. Yes, it is still incredible!

80.6%
  2. No, it is too old

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. It's not what is was but still worth a play

19.4%
  1. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    Yeah, I never went past Normal on ME3. I think I did Veteran on one ME2 playthrough, which annoyed me because at that difficulty I think even the Cain couldn't one-shot some of the big-ticket enemies like the two Praetorians and the Geth Colossus - and what's the point in carrying a BFG with only two shots at absolute best if it's not the ****ing end to (almost) anything?

In any case, I think to some extent turn-based combat is a better fit for a KotOR game, as it focuses so heavily on Force powers and lightsaber battles. Not only is swordfighting kind of hard to simulate in FPS (my recollection of the Jedi Knight series was mostly frantic button-pushing), but on top of that you're trying to simulate characters with supernaturally-boosted reflexes. I'd think a lot of the saber work would have to be AI-controlled anyway. Force powers, on the other hand, might work better in an FPS fashion - the amount of things you could do with a little bit of well-applied (or horribly mis-applied) TK in Jedi Outcast was amusing.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  2. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    MAss effect was very KOTOR like in many ways, which isn't surprising, Bioware does make games that are pretty similar.

dragonsith13 likes this.
  3. ZY-Fighter

ZY-Fighter Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2017
    Has anyone played KOTOR on their phone? I've seen it in the iTunes App Store and have been tempted, but not sure how it translates to handheld (Xbox player here).

4. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    lol, so I'm slowly going through KotOR again. I've always played a male light-side character, though this time I'm trying a female character (took me quite a while to work out a character name that I liked). I'm still going light-side, but just for the laughs I'm saving my game before most character interactions and picking a bunch of the evil or ***hole options just to see what happens before reloading and going back to the paragon route.

5. The Gameplay still very good and hard and it still has a much better atmosphere than many current games
    They are simply masterpieces

6. Ambervikings91

Dec 1, 2012
    Couldn't have said it better myself!

7. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    I recently played them and loved them. My favorite playthrough was when wielding two blasters. It was fun.
    I don't really care about graphics, so that was no problem, and with gameplay, it was just annoying when you couldn't move right, like someone else said.

dragonsith13 likes this.
  8. Mizore

Mizore Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 5, 2013
    I played the first time KOTOR and KOTOR 2 a few months ago and its strengths are the secondary characters and the plot, while they have more puzzles than I thought, but the combat system is very bad and even if it is not the main thing fighting is very frequent.

9. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    Its beautiful and plays well on my MacBook. I'm kinda combat-inept, and the way combat works in KOTOR makes it easier for me.

ZY-Fighter, I haven't tried it on my iPhone. I think the screen might be too small, but that's a personal thing. They make Xbox like controllers for Apple devices, which work pretty well. I have one made by Mad Catz that works well.

Is it wrong that KOTOR was the highlight of a retina display MacBook? I wish Aspyr had my 2 favorite Lucasfilm games...Rogue Leader & Racer.

ZY-Fighter likes this.
  10. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    KOTOR was just made available to download on Xbox Live. I'm tempted to get it again, even though I still have the disc!

dragonsith13 likes this.
  11. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I downloaded KOTOR onto my tablet over a year ago and I had a lot of fun with the game. I think that it has aged, but it has aged quite well. It's still very atmospheric (due in no small part to the ambient soundtrack). I think that the decision branches and character development stand up well against current RPGs. The storyline is still compelling and the voice acting is among the best of any video game that I have ever played.

Of course time has taken it's toll on the graphics and combat, but I still enjoyed revisiting that game. When it was first released, the game was a revelation. Being able to step into the Star Wars universe, create my own character and visit different planets at will was a gaming dream come true. Honestly, I don't think that I have been so immersed in a game before or since. I think that current game developers should use KOTOR as the benchmark for future Star Wars games.

12. dragonsith13

dragonsith13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 3, 2005
    Any upgrade to graphics and sound?

13. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    I don’t believe so.

dragonsith13 likes this.
  14. dragonsith13

dragonsith13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 3, 2005
    That is a shame, if they did come out with a 'Re-mastered' version, I could see it getting a ground swell of support again. As said above. KOTOR with ME graphics and sound. Game-play I am not so concerned with as the, plot, characters, and cinema are enough to keep me entertained thoroughly.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009
    I was frustrated with the lack of good Star Wars games coming out, so I went ahead and bought both KotORs on Steam recently, as well as some other good old Star Wars titles. (I had most of them on physical disks already, but with new Windows OS, getting them to work can be a bit frustrating).

In my opinion, they hold up. The graphics and gameplay are dated, but there was a lot of heart and detail that went into making KotOR, and I still get sucked in.

I am 100% down for a remake, if it ever gets done. Imagining KotOR in the Frostbite engine is exciting. I wouldn't mind if they changed the gameplay, especially when it comes to the ranged mechanics. But as long as they used the original dialogue and storyline I would be interested in seeing a remaster.

KotOR II is great on Steam as there's access to mods through the Steam Workshop, including The Sith Lords Restored Content mod, and some others that fix graphical issues (such as the odd UI stretching that occurs on widescreen monitors). It really helps extend the life of the game, but there can be compatibility issues if you load too much.

And KotOR is in no way dead. There are modding and gaming communities that still play, discuss, and develop new content for the games. Too bad EA will probably not realize the potential they're sitting on.

16. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Hrm, I was actually thinking to myself that the graphics still look surprisingly good for such an old game, especially compared with a bunch of other similarly old games.

17. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    Nothing beats a good session on KOTOR

Ambervikings91 likes this.
  18. Ambervikings91

Dec 1, 2012
    My ALL TIME favorite game!

19. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    Agreed.. :) I can always play this game at some point in the year. :)

20. Ambervikings91

Dec 1, 2012
    Agreed, gotta keep it fresh by playing different types of characters after a while. It has been at least an annual game for me for many many years.

21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Guys, KOTOR 1 and 2 are still available on Steam, right? I just got a gaming PC, but I haven't set it up yet. Been much too busy.

22. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Yes. Make sure you get the restored content mod for KotoRII from the workshop.

23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I got KOTOR on Android for my phone, paid on 6.50 for it, worked like a dream especially after having slagged through a glitchy PC version a decade ago (which was much much more expensive). Still love it, got about all the way to leaving Taris after almost 2 weeks. Looked fantastic too.

Then I booted it up today and it said "cannot verify download you may not have purchased this app". So I tried an uninstall / reinstall. And it loaded up again but lost all of my save data. Which is kind of important in a RPG. Have to start from the top but somewhat unenthused if after 10 hours again it just gives me that msg. So does anyone know about this glitch and how to prevent it from happening, like, ever again?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Huh, after 8 hours and 1 reinstall from the start, I discovered there is a Cloud Save option in the game so hopefully that'll work if/when I get that unopenable error again.

25. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Never had that problem myself with my Amazon underground version.