main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga How were Hutts able to rule the galactic underworld?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Barkey Foreman, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Barkey Foreman

Barkey Foreman Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2014
    Apparently in the EU even as early the Old Republic, Hutts were ruling the universe. I am wondering how the heck are they able to build up criminal empires?

I understand they are just the top boss and are not directly committing the crimes such as theft. But these fat aliens move so sloooowwwwwww that I cannot comprehend they even be able to do some of the less physical crimes such as cooking the books. Do they even have the necessary fingers to be able to say write fraudelent contracts?

I can understand lacking physical athelticism as there are lots of white collar crimes out there. But how the hell are they even able to to do white collar crimes if they don't even have the fingers to type to cook the books let alone draw up false certificates?

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    If you go by the EU - Hutts in a fight can move pretty fast, and are exceedingly strong. Their fingers are dextrous enough to hold and manipulate weapons - so I can't see them having that much trouble writing.

3. Barkey Foreman

Barkey Foreman Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2014
    You mean the Huts being lazy slobs who can't even get a bowl from the table is just a movie thing?

4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    We see Jabba moving around on the ground in ANH.

In the EU, there are Hutt pilots, Hutt fighters that wear armour and wield axes, and so forth.

5. Da'wid Yott

Da'wid Yott Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2014
    ..they're supposed to be very intelligent too right? Though their design does not make that easy to recognize. Sure, girth (or lack of) does not determine ones intelligence, but the "slug design" equates more to "slow" whether in movement or thought. We'll see if they play a bigger part in the new films.

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    To be fair, in the films, Jabba was never really in a fight. He was mostly just moving about while talking or watching events. The EU notes that by ROTJ, Jabba had put on a bit of weight and wasn't as fast as he had been. But that's mostly to cover his being stationary throughout the film due to the limitations of the puppet.

7. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    IIRC, wasn't Jabba also seen smoking some kind of substance through a pipe? Maybe he was completely high during the sail barge battle and had no idea what was going on.

Palpatine's P.A. likes this.
  8. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Size matters not.

9. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    Well Jabba had the strength to grab Leia and pull her within reach of his tongue, so clearly his physical abilities are not to be underestimated. And he remembered about the Jedi mind trick, which ranks his memory well above that of a certain smuggler I could name....

Maybe the Hutts run everything because practically no one else in this galaxy seems able to remember anything that happened more than 19 years ago?

rumsmuggler likes this.
  10. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    Everyone was afraid of being eaten or sit on.

11. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    By buying off anyone who was useful and buying others to kill those who weren't useful.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  12. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

They were ruling the Galactic underworld? I thought they ruled the underworld of Tatooine.

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In TCW we see the Hutt home planet of Nal Hutta - and in the TCW movie we find that the Hutts control enough territory (space lanes) that the Republic needs to win their permission to pass through that territory.

14. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    Money and manipulation. You don't need to go making them capable of something their physical structure is incapable of in order to make it believable. It is the exact same way Palpatine came to power. It wasn't through force, but money and manipulation.

Iron_lord likes this.
  15. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    The Hutts are gangsters!

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. Separatist101

Separatist101 Jedi Master star 3

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]
    Indeed! I think it's because Hutts are intelligent and shrewd, they had money, they had influence, and they had loose morals as well, they would do whatever was necessary to make money, as more Hutts became crime lords their criminal empires grew, they might move slow, but they can fight, when Tyber Zann and his consortium invaded Nal Hutta to captured a Hutt to ransom, he was met with squads of blaster-armed Hutts, the Hutts also beat Xim's Empire during the Hutt-Xim war, but as with most other races they won't fight if they can help it

darth-sinister, Gamiel and Iron_lord like this.
  17. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    What human actor/ character do you think of when you see Jabba?

I always thought that maybe GL was doing a subtle parody of Marlon Brando from the Godfather films.

:p

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  18. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    The original inspiration for Jabba the Hutt was actor Sydney Greenstreet (The Maltese Falcon, Casablanca).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Some concept art for Jabba even had him wearing a fez, like Greenstreet's in Casablanca.

Ananta Chetan and Gamiel like this.
  19. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I do think there's a legitimate question of how the Hutts first got started that has never really been answered.

20. BUZZINHARD

BUZZINHARD Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2014
    Hutts live for such a long time that the little things they aquired credits(money) was invested into other schemes to make more creds and so on and so on for hundreds of yeas.

And as we all know money can hire thugs to do jobs for hutts that make them even more money,. Oh yea, they also have alot of thugs do jobs for them and then dont pay them or just outright kill them,.

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. BUZZINHARD

BUZZINHARD Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2014
    Ah,. Was in the middle of re-reading all the books and in "VISION OF THE FUTURE" Tallon Karrde states,,(To the Clone Wars era and the chasos that brought on to the galaxy. There was a great need for smuggling during the conflict and afterward. of necessities as well as contraband, and a large number of organizations were hastily and rather haphazardly thrown together.) "Shada replied" (That was when the Hutts really hit their stride, wasn't it?) "Karrde answers" (Many of them did, yes)

Iron_lord likes this.
  22. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    I watched "Once Upon A Time In The West" again the other week and there's a nice moment that reminded me of this thread - when the crippled railroad baron who can barely move on his own opens his drawer, Frank thinks he's pulling out a gun and draws on him, but all he's reaching for is a stack of thousand dollar bills. "You see, Frank, there are many different kinds of weapons. And the only one that can stop that [gun], is this [money]."

(Hammered home later in the movie when he pays Frank's posse to turn on him, and Frank only survives because someone else is looking out for him).

Crippled railroad baron: Hutts. Gunslingers: everyone below them.

TheOneX_Eleazar and Iron_lord like this.
  23. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    Money, weapons, enterprises, and a lot of shoes to fill.