Speculation How will Episode VII approach the EU?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episode VII and Beyond (Archive)' started by stellarmagic01, Nov 15, 2012.

How do you expect Episode VII to approach the Expanded Universe?

The Expanded Universe will be ignored completely. 0 vote(s) 0.0%
The Expanded Universe will be mined for just settings and locations. 0 vote(s) 0.0%
The Expanded Universe will be mined for characters but retcon a great deal. 1 vote(s) 100.0%
The Expanded Universe will be followed up to the NJO but not beyond. 0 vote(s) 0.0%
The Expanded Universe will be strictly adhered to. 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stellarmagic01 Force Ghost

star 4
    We've had threads on this basic subject before... but I think a bit more options and thought would be good for the discussion instead of the 'all or nothing' attitudes we've seen in previous threads. Here I'd like to again state my thoughts as to how the films will approach the Expanded Universe and encourage you to add your own as well.

The screenwriter for Episode VII has got a task that I would consider both a dream job and a nightmare. He's writing three movies for general audiences in a single continuous universe which the vast majority has not read. Honestly I was once a big EU reader, but after Del Rey launched the NJO I lost interest. I know many people who have never read any EU though I have found that most Star Wars fans have read at least a few of the novels... (Most seem to have read some of the X-wing series or the Thrawn Trilogy)

The only thing I can really compare it to is if you were a writer asked to do a superhero movie. I mean, we have had some good and some bad superhero movies over the last couple years. Can you imagine any writer, be it George Lucas or Michael Arndt releasing a script that didn't require at the very least some amount of retcon?

General Audience popularity is bound to win out over canon adherence... this is one of the reasons so many of us believe that the character of Chewbacca is bound to appear in the films. We've seen characters killed off and brought back multiple times over the years and expecting Chewie not to appear because of Vector Prime seems rather unrealistic.

Ultimately I think any writer approaching this series is likely to ignore, retcon, or adjust things from the Expanded Universe rather than adapt them exactly as they were in the books. I'll give some examples.

Names: The Galactic Federation of Free Alliances vs. The New Republic

Honestly, what were the EU writers thinking with a name like that? I could buy them maybe using the name 'The Alliance' but the GFFA? I don't think so. For one thing anytime anyone sees the word Federation in Science Fiction they think of Star Trek. No, I expect the writer to say: "The Republic" or "The Galactic Republic" or "The New Galactic Republic" not... the "Galactic Federation of Free Alliances".

Names: Jacen, Jaina, and... Anakin

While it makes perfect sense in the books, seems relatively in character, and so forth. Anakin's name is bound to be a bit more difficult for the General Audience to accept. Not only that but using all the Solo kids at once is bound to be a bit... confusing. There are too many of them to deal with, especially with the Big Three in use. So... I don't expect Anakin to play a role, alive or dead. Jacen wouldn't have as big a role either... but Jaina would be great as a young Knight dealing with Ben as an apprentice.

Baggage: Dark!Jacen and Jaina storyline

Some baggage is fine... but excessive angst is not something any of us want for the follow up of the Original Trilogy. Jaina's arc in the post-NJO books is one that has profound affects on Jaina and for those of us that remember her relationship with Jacen and Jacen's development in the NJO... It just made no sense. I wouldn't use a 30 year old Jedi Master Jaina Solo because... she's broke and... just no.

Baggage: Luke Skywalker... a widower

Okay, Mara Jade Skywalker... the other big character I hope and pray is brought back from the dead in the movies. Her presence can be minor, really minor, but lets face it as popular as Chewie is in the General Audiences... Mara is almost as popular in the Star Wars fandom. Plus she dies to Jacen... another angst ridden storyline that does not fit with an upbeat set of sequels to the Original Trilogy. Her introduction is relatively easy thanks to the passage of time, we'd almost expect Luke to be married unless he went all celibate Jedi Monk on us. Having her be an outspoken person would give her some lines in discussions with Luke instead of just being another named member of the council too.

Protagonist: Ben Skywalker

I saw the discussion that's been brought up on casting a young male Skywalker and... well, there's one problem I have with most of the ideas that have been put forward. Ben should be younger then that (not 9-10 but 13-14 would be great). One of the themes of the stories has always been family and well, since we know Han and Leia are a couple and Luke is single in Episode VI, having Luke's son be substantially younger then the Solo kids makes sense.

I'd make him Jaina's apprentice, the age gap is about like Anakin Skywalker and Ashoka from the clone wars... this coupled with the fact they're cousins... well, expect awesome banter and humor to ensue.

Protagonist: Jaina Solo

"The Sword of the Jedi?" I don't know about that bit... but Jaina Solo, the 25 year old tinkerer and Jedi Knight sounds like an excellent protagonist. I have to say there has to be some gene in the Skywalker line that makes them act like Jawas... using cast off junkyard ships and rebuilding them for their own use. Or maybe Solo's genes just make it worse... sadly that element was abandoned in later characterization of Jaina.

Now... Jaina as a 'new master' with Ben as an apprentice would be great... For one thing she has good reason to talk to Luke for advice both because it's Ben and because she's new at it. For another the Master - Apprentice relationships seem to be rather familial anyway. Obi-wan loves Anakin as a brother, you could almost see Anakin viewing Ashoka as an annoying little sister.

Using Jaina is also another good reason to bring Mara back... in the EU Mara was her master, and lets face it... there'd be a great deal of family discussions in that scenario.

I'm sure there's more but this is long enough already... what do you guys think?
  2. Jedi Merkurian ST Thread Reaper and Rumor Naysayer

star 6
    I think this topic has been discussed in several different ways, in several different threads.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.