main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How will Mace die?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Darth_Luciferus, Jul 1, 2002.

?

How will Mace die?

Poll closed Mar 23, 2012.
  1. He'll go out like a punk

2.9%
  2. Boba will be responsible somehow ...

35.8%
  3. Palpatine will recite Exekiel 25:17 (the path of the righteous) before zapping him w/lightning

9.2%
  4. Duel with Darth Vader

40.3%
  5. A giant space shark will engulf him after he delivers an impassioned speech

6.1%
  6. Coruscant drive-by shooting

5.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    I think Dooku will be dead way before Mace. It's been set up that Dooku is for Anakin (or *maybe* Obi-Wan) to take out. You better believe Anakin takes their last fight personally, so logically it seems that he would be the one to do it. And it makes a great opening sequence to the movie.

From what SLJ and others have said, it seems like Mace is fighting more than one opponent (also makes sense he would take out someone with him that way). Like I've said before, fighting Grevious and his guards would be a killer (pardon the pun) way for Mace to die. Much cooler than Dooku I think.

2. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    rs77, I don't see the general out living the count

3. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    ;) Ooh there are lots of reasons for Mace to outlive Dooku. The latter symbolizing the Seperatists and an obstacle for Sidious to remove to get Anakin. Mace represents the Jedi. In a lot of ways they are archetypes. The Seperatists (as they are known now) weaken and fall before the Jedi. It would make sense that symbolicaly Dooku would go first. I think if Mace died in the beginning SLJ would consider that "going out like a punk"... he has to die fighting something really badass. Think of how important it will be when Mace dies, he's such a powerful Jedi, that moment can't be wasted. At that point we'll know things are really, really bad for the Jedi. Dooku is far more expendable. He's in the way for Sidious. There isn't a reason for him to stay alive very long, what sort of storyline would he have? With Grevious being around (and he is an important characer supposedly) there isn't really a need for three villains. The movie is mostly about Anakin. So what purpose could Dooku serve in Anakin's storyline? I believe that in the beginning of Episode III Anakin kills Dooku and is made a hero because of it, of course you and I know why he really killed Dooku- and thus his DS journey begins.

Oh and also, this is just speculation but... Christopher Lee was in Sydney a very short amount of time at the beginning of filming, and he's not scheduled for pick-ups. Logistically I would think he can't be in it that much. For part of his fight SLJ fought aganist no one, which sort of assumes he's partially fighting a CGI character. And it seems to me that Mace is fighting more than one thing. If he were fighting Dooku it why wouldn't they have been in Sydney together? Sio Bibbling someone into a Duel like that would be exceptionally difficult. That's just speculation and circumstantial evidence but it adds up to me... :p

4. Darth_Finkle

Darth_Finkle Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2003
    Those are some good points RebelScum, at least to me. I hadn't thought of it that way.

5. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Actually, there is a rather nice reason to keep Dooku alive longer than Mace, and that is to see the interaction between Sith Lords as they battle for power. We've never seen an Apprentice attempt to become the Master. If Dooku were to survive the Clone Wars by surrender (perhaps as the Sith had planned all along), he could finally attempt to steal power from Palpatine. This could bring about a confrontation much like the Throne Room battle in ROTJ. Perhaps Dooku could offer Anakin to rule the galaxy at his side, like Vader did Luke. Or perhaps Palpatine could orchestrate the whole confrontation. However it happens, it would be fun to have a scene with Dooku and Anakin fighting for Palpatine as Luke and Vader did.

It would actually be quite fun if Dooku played the role of Luke, as the aggressor trying to kill Palpatine, and Anakin 'saves' him the way he does in ROTJ, while Palpatine watches with that smug smile on his face. And when Anakin finally forces Dooku to his knees, and the Count begs for mercy, Anakin coldly strikes him down, exactly the opposite of what Luke does in ROTJ. There could even be a threat by Dooku against his wife, to either kill her or expose her as a traitor, which could drive Anakin completely to the dark side in the way that Vader threatened Leia and drove Luke over.

Don't forget - this entire war is a sham. It was faked from the start by the Sith, so you have to imagine that Dooku and Palpatine have some plan set up for them both to survive it in the end. And I definitely believe we'll see echoes of ROTJ in III, especially in some way the Throne Room confrontation. I believe that somehow we'll see Anakin make the wrong decision and kill in cold blood at Palpatine's urging, in contrast to Luke embracing the Jedi way and throwing aside his weapon.

Here's how I would like to see it go:

Grievous kills Mace
    Obi-Wan kills Grievous
    Anakin kills Dooku
    Obi-Wan defeats Anakin

6. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    It would actually be quite fun if Dooku played the role of Luke, as the aggressor trying to kill Palpatine, and Anakin 'saves' him the way he does in ROTJ, while Palpatine watches with that smug smile on his face. And when Anakin finally forces Dooku to his knees, and the Count begs for mercy, Anakin coldly strikes him down, exactly the opposite of what Luke does in ROTJ. There could even be a threat by Dooku against his wife, to either kill her or expose her as a traitor, which could drive Anakin completely to the dark side in the way that Vader threatened Leia and drove Luke over.

While yes, it would be cool to see this struggle for power and the connection to ROTJ is an intriguing one... but a scene like the one you described above could easily happen even if Dooku was killed early on (except without Anakin turning completely). Dooku could even make the offer without Palpatine being there. While Anakin is fighting Dooku he moves to kill him, Dooku begs for mercy etc. Ani would be turning down Dooku's offer, but it could also intrigue him... it's just that Ani has no loyalty to Dooku, he has harbored anger towards him for years. Palpatine is able to do what Dooku could not because of Anakin's loyalty, probably even without him realizing it.

Yes, the entire war was indeed a sham and I'm sure Dooku and Palpatine had some kind of plan. But Palpatine could have secret plans to off Dooku in the war (cos by this time, it's obvious he wants Ani to replace him)... imagine him setting up a space battle where Anakin and Dooku will be fighting... he knows Anakin will go after Dooku personally. So Anakin goes and conveniently kills Dooku, making him a hero among the Republic, which of course only feeds into his ego. It gives Palpatine even more fuel, it's a great setup.

I believe that somehow we'll see Anakin make the wrong decision and kill in cold blood at Palpatine's urging, in contrast to Luke embracing the Jedi way and throwing aside his weapon.

I agree that this would be a great scene. I think it can happen with or without Dooku.

To go with your order, here's what I would like ;)

Anakin kills Dooku
    Grievous kills Mace
    Obi-Wan kills Grievous
    Obi-Wan defeats Anakin

7. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    Anakin kills Dooku
    Obi-Wan kills Grievous
    Anakin/Palps kill Mace
    Obi-Wan beats Anakin

Thats the way I think and hope it will go...I think the reasons for Dooku to die early in the film outweigh those that would have him survive the CWs...I dont need to see a Throne Room confrontation with Dooku and Anakin...because if things go the way I hope they do, we'll get that with Mace and Anakin...Palps will encourage and help Anakin defeat Mace and convert Skywalker to the dark side

To be honest, the Mace vs Anakin/Dooku duel may be the most important of the PT...Anakin's turn will be at the death of Mace Windu. I feel that by the time Anakin fights Obi-Wan, Anakin will be beyond redemption and while Obi will try to save him, it will be futile

8. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Interesting thought on the Throne Room variation with Mace vs Anakin while Palpatine watches/encourages. The only problem with that is that the quote above indicates Mace takes someone out with him. Perhaps Imperial Red Guards?

But as far as Anakin killing Mace...I just don't see a series of events that would bring that about. Certainly Anakin may harbor some resentment towards Mace from his induction into the Order, but what else would face Anakin off against Mace? Something to do with Padme, perhaps?

I think Mace will get it from the General. Perhaps Palpatine, although I have my fingers crossed that Palps doesn't stoop to lightsaber dueling.

9. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    To be honest, the Mace vs Anakin/Dooku duel may be the most important of the PT...Anakin's turn will be at the death of Mace Windu. I feel that by the time Anakin fights Obi-Wan, Anakin will be beyond redemption and while Obi will try to save him, it will be futile

Interesting thought on the Throne Room variation with Mace vs Anakin while Palpatine watches/encourages. The only problem with that is that the quote above indicates Mace takes someone out with him.

Well using e_w's idea and from a cpov, Mace will end up killing Anakin.

But I still believe that DoubleG will serve the Jabba villian role: serve as a big threat w/ a big reputation, only to be taking down before he kills any of our heroes.

10. EMPEROR_WINDU

Nov 23, 2002
    Well, I think we have a little misunderstanding. I dont think Anakin will be hunting down Mace.

I think maybe Mace is the one to figure out Palps=Sidious...Mace will head down to find out what's up, and Anakin will walk in on the 2 of them fighting, I think Sidious will be obviously a Sith Lord, and anakin will choose to help his "friend" and "mentor" rather than his master...He will fail to make the choice that he makes 20 years later

11. EMPEROR_WINDU

Nov 23, 2002
    And I do not believe Sidious will watch/encourage....I think he will help Anakin kill mace towards the latter half of the fight...I feel this way because Anakin will have grown strong, but not Mace Windu strong, and he won't be able to kill Mace by himself

12. PloKloon1138

PloKloon1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2001
    Anakin kills Dooku
    Grievous kills Mace
    Obi-Wan kills Grievous
    Obi-Wan defeats Anakin

I like this order the most, yet I still think the major wild card is Mace's death. There are so many different possiblities and combinations that could occur.

13. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    PK1138 is totally correct - there are so many tantalizing possibilities for Mace's death:

Dooku
    Sidious
    Anakin/Vader
    Vader + Sidious
    Boba Fett (arrggghh)
    Grievous
    clonetroopers
    a super size combo of any of the above

I still think Mace will go out to Anakin, possibly/probably with the assitance of Sidious.

Mace represents the Jedi Order in the PT, and Vader/Sidious taking him out represents the Triumph of the Sith.

It makes the most sense thematically.

As far as Grievous goes, I agree Obi-Wan has to take him out - but mostly b/c I think Anakin will be taking out Dooku AND Mace, and Obi-Wan needs to show his chops on a major baddie before taking on his former apprentice.

14. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    i maintain my belief since pre- AOTC:

boba fett disintegrates him

it answers so many questions and imho, anything else would just complicate things

i think in the long run - most of us will agree that that is a great option for all the right reasons

15. episodenone

Jun 13, 2001
    and now that i have read some more of this topic posts....

grievous?
    he shows up and now we are supposed to make him into this mass murderer overlooking the fact that boba fett has been our favorite bounty hunter for 20 years ?!?!?!?

just b/c u didn't like him as a kid - doesn't mean u don't love his OT persona

and how do we build that persona .... have him kill mace by disintegration - and let anakin / vader see it happen

not a lot of guys loved anakin in TPM - but u love him as an adult - so give up the grievous silliness
    have boba take care of business and lets really not try to complicate things so much

16. EMPEROR_WINDU

Nov 23, 2002
    ^^^that would be going out like a punk

17. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Complicate things so much?

AOTC was TEN YEARS after TPM. Episode III is what, 3 years after AOTC?

Boba's daddy was the "deadliest bounty hunter in the galaxy" at the time of AOTC - and he got decapitated by good ol' Mace.

You tell me how someone who's going to be about 14 or 15 years old is going to take out Mace Windu.

18. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    By shooting the swordsman? [face_devil]

Mace represents the Jedi Order in the PT, and Vader/Sidious taking him out represents the Triumph of the Sith.

But using that idea, the person to kill Mace would be somebody working for somebody working for somebody unknowingly working for the Sith. :p

19. episodenone

Jun 13, 2001
    the idea is not to underestimate boba fett
    to think of him as you used to when he was cool and not "fi-yaaa"

and if u are unsure of the capabilities of what a 15 year old can do --- think about it for a sec

i would prefer not to use examples that could be offemsive - but i can easily think of events in our culture that were pretty horrific by highschoolers

and the jedi are finished - we all know that - boba finishing him off -- not in a one-on-one fight - but helping vader when he is outnumbered per se - u gotta think about it not as they are wrestling with the force - but how an assasin kills his target

not straight up - or you die like jango

give it some thought and maybe you'll see other cinematic ways to make it work - not just what you think is silly or unlikely

20. PloKloon1138

PloKloon1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2001
    I retract my previous thought, Grievous will not kill Mace. I agree with whoever said that GG will serve a Jabba-esque role, just there for our hero (in this case Obi-Wan) to vanquish.

New list of EIII Deaths:

Anakin kills Dooku
    Obi-Wan kills Grievous
    Anakin/Vader kills Mace
    Obi-Wan defeats Anakin/Vader

Edit: But this doesn't jive with SLJ saying that he takes somebody down with him. And you gotta figure that Palps will at least be doing something other than just sitting around. Arrgghhh....

21. EMPEROR_WINDU

Nov 23, 2002
    maybe mace will kill a few Imperial Guards during the fight with Sid/vader??? maybe it's not a 2 on 1? maybe its like 5 on 1

22. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    To be honest i wanted Mace to fight Dooku, and i hope it goes down that way. They both get killed from the fight, a bloody, gritty affair, to contrast with the flash and the passion of THE DUEL.

23. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Could clones kill Mace? Some people believe Boba will kill Mace because he killed Jango...but it would be kind of ironic if a clone of Jango killed the man who killed Jango. One clone alone couldn't do this, but what about tens or hundreds of clones?

24. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Sweet. :D

Can you imagine Mace taking on a squadron (or two) of clonetroopers plus Anakin?

It would be kind of like Boromir's death scene in FOTR.

I hope he sacrifices himself to help Obi-Wan, Yoda, Padme or Bail or all of the above get away.

There's nothing so inspiring as someone taking a bullet for their friends. ;)

25. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    A triumphant last stand with Mace cutting through clones like a scythe through wheat until he finally falls due to overwhelming numbers would most definitely qualify as a 'blaze of glory.' Especially if he was protecting the escape of Yoda or Padme and the children.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.