main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series How will Rebels differ from Clone Wars?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Faithful Wookiee, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Faithful Wookiee

Faithful Wookiee Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2014
    I never thought of Barris and Ahsoka as friends. I don't think about the Jedi in those terms. And I don't think they see themselves that way, either. If they ever do, it's an inherently compromised form of friendship.

Like in ROTS, when Obi-Wan calls Anakin a "brother" and uses the word "love", he is wrong -- if that had truly been the case, Anakin would not have kept his relationship with Padme a secret, and Obi-Wan might have taken a more active interest in Anakin's wayward development.

I guess I just don't understand why the storytellers are being critiqued for not sufficiently demonstrating a sense of friendship among the Jedi; it has been clearly established that they do not form attachments with other people, so there's nothing to show.

If the showrunners were, indeed, trying to get me to hate the Jedi (and it's a big "if"), they failed. If anything, I like them even more now, knowing that even with their amazing abilities, they are still vulnerable, and in their most introspective moments (Yoda's arc), they are susceptible to deep feeling.

2. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    Faithful Wookiee: Perhaps it has to do with my now distant background as a military sociologist, but these guys intrigued me from the start. Cohesion in different types of military units was one of my special interests, and I really wondered how a unit could be effective if it consisted of just one personality type when I saw the PT. Well, TCW answered this one for me. The TCW clones -like RL twins and triplets and so on - were similar, but not the same type of person, and I really, really loved to see them develop their own personalities and traits. They were such lovable guys (at least some of them), what happened to them was horrible IMO, and, well, then again I'm really into body armor :p.

3. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    I've actually thought of Ahsoka and Barriss as being friends ever since season 2 originally came out, so I guess it works for some people and not for others.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Faithful Wookiee : I don't see "friendship" in terms of being attached to someone. I see it in terms of enjoying being with someone, making a connection to the person, but in a healthy way. Circumstances and therefore friendships often change, and real friendship involves loving the other person enough to let him or her go if necessary--the opposite of attachment.

The Jedi may have done friendship better than many people in real life do, because they placed a greater importance on selflessness, and real friendship is selfless.

5. Faithful Wookiee

Jul 29, 2014
    I kind of agree with your remarks about friendship, in principle. But if the Jedi are truly as friendly as you suggest, then why didn't Anakin trust Obi-Wan, and why didn't any of them trust Ahsoka?

6. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Now that I've seen a bit more of the preview material I worry it will be much more kiddy than TCW was.

7. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I can see how that might theoretically mess up the OT for someone whose only exposure to Star Wars before seeing it was this particular TCW arc, but honestly I don't think of or worry about things from that angle. Ep. IV is always what people should watch first if they've never seen any SW as far as I'm concerned, in which case this wouldn't be an issue at all.

Other than that, people whining incoherently in a discussion forum is an expected expression of humanity and doesn't deserve to impact anyone's view of the subject matter in its own right in my opinion.

There are two separate issues you're addressing here and I feel differently about them. You already know that in terms of setting up Ahsoka and Barriss as good friends by Jedi standards I think the S2 Geonosis arc was sufficient and not having them together again until the arc in question fits the serialized nature of the show. However, in my mind, whether they sufficiently explained Barriss' motivations is an entirely separate issue. That's what I was referring to when I said the execution was not 100%. I don't think it necessarily needs a logical explanation because I don't think when people do things like that it is for logical reasons, but they still needed more fully fleshed out reasoning (like a specific goal she thought she could accomplish, for example) rather than just using the same brief but broad wording about thinking the Jedi are wrong to be involved in the war that was already attributed to the public in the first episode of the arc.

Are you serious? Based on what? I saw more brutality in that 7-minute clip than probably all of TCW S1.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I think Anakin trusted Obi-Wan overall, but Anakin also wanted to break the rules of the Order so he could do whatever he wanted, and didn't "trust" Obi-Wan not to turn him in.

But Obi-Wan expecting Anakin to obey rules does not mean that they weren't friends.

As far as Ahsoka, had they refused to turn her over to the Republic, it would appear to the average citizen and the Senate as if they were covering for her, as if they were above the law. They had no idea that Tarkin was running a kangaroo court. That has nothing to do with trust.

9. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    anakinfansince1983 I know neither of us have the desire to keep going in circles or talk past one another, but the stated writing intent based on interviews is to show the Jedi as flawed, not as a "piss on the Jedi" approach or anything equivalent to that. I did not feel anything the Jedi did made them look bad enough to constitute being "pissed on" by the writing, and other fans latching onto those things as terrible evidence in really bad arguments that the Jedi were evil does not impact my interpretation of TCW or the saga whatsoever.

10. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Tarkas: Based on the clips I've seen as I said.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I didn't feel they did anything terrible either. I love the Jedi. I think they were exactly as Ben described them in the OT.

But I also did not see the point of the writers going out of their way to "show the Jedi as flawed." It's not as if they would be viewed as perfect if the writers did not make an effort to show them as flawed, and if a few fans did view them as perfect, so what?

That's what I mean by a "piss on the Jedi" approach. Why make such an effort to depict them as "flawed"? To take the heat off Palpatine, Anakin and the clones for Order 66? If that's the reasoning, it's ridiculous.

The PT showed them as a bit too hamstrung by their own dogma. That was enough. We did not need TCW to go further.

12. Faithful Wookiee

Jul 29, 2014
    anakinfansince1983 If the whole final arc of season 5 is not about trust -- or the lack thereof, which is starting to eat away at the foundation of the Jedi Order, facilitating the execution of Order 66 and the rise of the Emperor (Anakin's issue in ROTS is that neither Obi-Wan, nor the rest of the Order, trust him anymore) -- I would like to know what it is about. What did I miss?

Dark Lord Tarkas I think the explanation of Barris's motivations was more than sufficient. Star Wars is not the place for time-consuming excursions into armchair psychology. I felt the same way about Krell: state the motivation behind the behaviour clearly, and then let the viewers fill in the blanks on their own.

Kablob likes this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't like "let the users fill in the blanks on their own" when those blanks are integral to the plot.

As far as that arc...it was about pissing on the Jedi. I don't know any other way to put it.

You got a lot of it right, we're just viewing it from different angles. I saw an attempt to deflect blame for Order 66 from Palpatine and Anakin to the victims of the genocide.

As far as Anakin...watching the PT and some of TCW arcs, the Jedi had reason not to trust him. And that was the issue with the slanted POV that TCW tried to offer in broad terms. It seems that the writers wanted us to believe that the Council members woke up one morning and said "Let's poke Anakin today because it's fun to rile him up." Anakin was not trusted because Anakin misbehaved.

The Jedi trusted Ahsoka, maybe more than a 17-year-old apprentice would normally be trusted.

There is a world of difference between showing the Jedi as imperfect--which had already been done in the PT and which I had no problem with--and attempting to play the blame-the-victim game regarding Order 66.

Keeping on topic, I really hope Rebels does not take a "piss on the Jedi" viewpoint.

14. Vilnu

Vilnu Jedi Padawan

Aug 1, 2013
    So, out of interest, what was the normal level of trust that might be placed in a 17-year-old Jedi apprentice?

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Less than the level that would be entrusted to an adult Jedi Knight or Master.

Example: in AOTC, a 20-year-old Anakin was given his first solo assignment, with some concerns from Obi-Wan.

In TPM, I was given the impression that the 25-year-old Obi-Wan did few if any solo assignments.

In TCW, Ahsoka was given solo assignments without question, as if she were not still a Padawan.

kubricklynch likes this.
  16. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    The Ep. I and Ep. II examples are before the Jedi are fully engaged in the war.

TCW makes references across multiple arcs, I believe ranging from the first season to the last, to the Jedi having to press more responsibilities on younger and younger Jedi due to the demands of the war.

The first time we see Ahsoka on a solo mission it is on a team with another Padawan, showing that she was not receiving any special treatment.

Regarding your previous post, I don't think demonstrating that the Jedi are flawed puts any of the responsibility for Order 66 on them whatsoever. I think it's valuable to show that at this point the galaxy is so ****** up even the Jedi, who try the hardest by far, have to make some tough decisions with inevitably unfortunate results.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I can accept the "they were at war" reasoning to a point.

The initial question was about the Jedi not trusting Ahsoka though, and they did trust her.

As far as flawed Jedi, I agree with your assessment, but Faithful Wookiee mentioned "facilitating Order 66" and I have seen numerous posts, both in this forum and other places on the boards, about the Jedi facilitating their own demise

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  18. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Well, that's what you get for being one of the only posters whose posts I always read. :p Yeah they obviously trusted her till she got the boot.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    TCW had Jar Jar and the Battle Droids. What does Rebels have that compares?

20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    The show will differ in tone

21. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Interview is interesting about the tone, just looks like CW, will start off lighter and could eventually grow to maturity with each season.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04...oach-the-characters-and-fan-skepticism?page=4

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  22. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
  23. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    It would really cool to see Lando, Han n Chewy....Bail n Leah.....Tarkin, Vader, Ozzie n Palps

24. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Apparently Stormtroopers. The latest clip with Sabine make battle droids look like brainiacs compared to these bumblers.

QuangoFett and kubricklynch like this.