main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How will the saga stand the test of time?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by severian28, Apr 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrownEyes_Blue

BrownEyes_Blue Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 29, 2002
    The Star Wars saga will be just fine. It will stand the test of time and be around for a very, very long time! There are millions of fans around the world so it's not going away just like that.

2. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000
    Hopefully our children will see these films in school while being taught to do close analysis of, ultimately allowing them to understand and even enjoy the saga better than many fans and "fans" do today.

3. Xenobi

Xenobi Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    But we already know episode 3 is going to be great!
    we read the script over at the spoilers allowed thread...
    oh yeah..some of you haven't gone there...oh well

4. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    I think, if we let our children view the saga without telling them how we feel about it, then it'll survive and be loved for generations to come.

Exactly.

But if the people who hate the prequels and love the OT, for example, keep telling their kids their opinions on the saga, then the kids could develop fixed opinions that the prequels suck and the OT is great.

Yeah, and it angers me when people tell their kids, "Don't watch that, it sucks." Great way to warp a kid's opinion on something before they even see it.

I'm sure that my mother didn't particularly care for a lot of the stuff I listened to/watched when I was a kid. I mean, there are only so many times you can listen to a group of off-tune children singing carols in the Charlie Brown Christmas Special before you either tune it out or go crazy (my mother chose the former). Nowadays many parents probably find their kids' Barney tapes to be sheer torture, but they don't tell their kids, "Barney sucks!"

Future generations should be able to decide for themselves, without previous generations bashing or overly praising the saga.

Yes, exactly. Without previous generations lifting them up to impossible heights, or else ripping them to shreds.

Just let newcomers view and decide on their own. This will create a completely fresh view of the saga for them.

That's what I hope for too. Future generations will look upon the saga as a whole, not as separate movies, and form their own opinions, not based on what is popular to say about them. The current backlash is annoying for many reasons, but it is nothing new. SW has been through many backlashes, and survived them all.

5. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    I introduced the OT to my two young nephews ( 6 & 8 )
    after learning that they really loved the PT and were
    starting to ask questions about the OT - and the result was the same as with me in 1980 - ferverish imagination explosion that I doubt will ever leave them and should positively affect them forever. My point being that you really need " The Saga " not just one of the trilogies to facilitate your imagination. People may disagree with me but I think one of the reasons the OT maintained its pop-culture phenomenon was the hint that more was to come. Of course the majority will adhere to the OT and they will claim its
    because its the better construct. But I suspect on a subconscious level its because its the first. Long story short: The Saga will forever be seamless in my mind and I will consider it, the 6 chapters of SW with all the peaks and valleys that are necessary to create an epic Saga, ONE story. And a great one at that.

6. Eccentrica

Eccentrica Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2004
    "But I suspect on a subconscious level its because its the first."

Thanks for the analysis, Freud.

I think the PT will be basically swept under the rug as far as it's longevity as a series of films. They haven't made a name for themselves from among the fray of trilogies like The Lord of the Rings. Star Wars was unique for it's time, the PT was not. One will be remembered, one won't. This is all my opinion, obviously, but all this is speculation anyway.

7. Obi-HaCoR

Obi-HaCoR Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 13, 2002
    Yeah, I think no matter how many generations go by, Star Wars will always be around.

Its OUR duty to pass it along to our children 8-}

8. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    Isnt that what were doing here, Eccentrica? Analyzing SW? I don't appreciate your sarcasm. Humor I can handle, but your not funny. And ending your post with the point your supposed to be making doesnt erase the flame. Lets at least keep it friendly. I made an admittedly broad statement about why I think people favor the OT. If that bothers you, Im sorry you feel that way - but if your gonna insult me at least back up your insult with a intelligent reason as to why I deserved the jibe. You think my statement is pompous? Then just say so. It is kind of pompous, I admit it, but I dont know you from a hole in the wall and certainly not well enough to call you names. Im sorry that I fed into this Spike, but that kind of acidy commentary really pisses me off. I understand the repercussions.

9. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    Ok people, lets cool down. I really don't appreciate sarcastic comments. If you've got a problem with somebody's POV then use a counterargument. Saga is a place of intelligent discussion, not childish mockery.

As I always say, attack the argument, not the poster.

Consider this a warning. Next sarcastic comeback gets a little vacation.

10. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    As sure as I am that some people will wish the PT to be swept under the rug and forgotten, I highly doubt this will be the case.
    Was Godfather III forgotten? (I've yet to see the series, and even I know about it)
    Was RotJ back in the day?
    No. Just because some fans have the vocal opinion on what sucks, doesn't mean future generations will. The SW Saga will only be solds in a box set I'm sure, and it will only be the finished editions whatever they may be called.
    Certainly some fans will find ways to find the old editions, but future generations probably won't go to such a length.
    It's certainly hard to say what made an impact with the PT. The most easily referenced things are shown in both trilogies. Jedi, lightsabers, and the Force. The PT continued the already popular references and brought them back to public mind. Jar Jar has already caught on if not infamously. Maul too. The Jedi robed look is catching on as is the term padawan. Give it time.
    In the end, people will certainly have their favorites in the series but I think on the whole, it will be parts of the individual movies people don't like instead of entire films themselves.

As for what others have said, I agree that they need to be watched unbiasedly with fresh eyes. My cousin's kids love these movies and they go around playing 'Jango'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.