main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit How Would You Change The Expanded Universe?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Force Smuggler, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Okay, I'm planning on reading the book, but is it really the break?

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I would have made Force-sensitivity unclonable. If Force-sensitivity can be cloned, why didn't Sheev create an Anaakin?

Darth_Dreadwar likes this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    * I would put NJO some years later so the YJK generation have some more time to grow up and have childish adventures, also I would have turned Jacen into SW Steve Irwin and kept Jaina as a wrench wench before a pilot; make the Vong invasion smaller, not a real threat to the united Republic but still enough to threaten a sector; have the Republic work together to combat the Vong and have the Jedi as an (more or less) working part of the Republics government.

* A anthology series about the jedi in Luke's order.

* I would take away most of the non-movie jedi who survived the Dark time.

* Change the design of the TOR-games so they are not just movie ripoffs.

darklordoftech likes this.
  4. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I'd only have one Great Schism and it would occur when the Jedi first discovered The Force.

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    No Incredible Cross Sections or Complete Locations. Would have prevented the whole "DS1 & DS2 sizes get retconned, then un-retconned" debacle.

6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Grimdark is doing some serious liking of this thread. I just got tugged back to 2012 with how reboots tell the exact same story eventually.

*looks at Aftermath*

Tastes like six months after Endor to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Jorus C'Baoth 2882

Jorus C'Baoth 2882 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 18, 2015
    Old Republic
    Change TOR by changing the idea of a giant Sith Empire in hiding to being one formed much like Kaan’s order. Also the idea of Revan being alive for hundreds of years would be scrapped along with the Sith Empire's officer uniforms looking the same as the Imperial ones.

Explore more of Yoda’s backstory.

Prequel Era/TCW
    Keep the Clone Wars Multimedia Project canon.

Make Ahsoka Plo Koon’s Padawan instead of Anakin’s. I always thought the idea of Anakin having an apprentice didn’t really flow well.

No Order 66 chip.

No Maul.

Keep the Mandalorians as they were before the retcon.
    Dark Times
    No TFU II. At least TFU had some substance.

Original Trilogy
    N/A

New Republic
    Make the Ssi-Ruuk more threatening and have them take over a few planets, becoming a bigger galactic threat.

Make Dark Empire noncanonical or have it end as an embellished story within a story a la Stover’s LSaTSoM.

Do the same with the Crystal Star.
    NJO
    Keep Mara Jade alive and keep her character from becoming a bland piece of cardboard.

Make DNT better by giving it more character development/kill off a major character or two.

Explore more of the galaxy’s aftermath after the Vong War.

Legacy Era
    No FOTJ.

No Lost Tribe of the Sith, Krayt just cobbles together his Sith Order, etc.

Show Luke’s death.

Have a clear lead-in to Legacy, mainly showing through a few series of books how we progress through the ninety year period between LotF and Legacy.

No second volume of Legacy. Gabriel Hardman’s artwork aside, it didn't live up to the wonder of the first volume.

spicer and Davak24 like this.
  8. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Fewer stories implying that Anakin was right and the Jedi should have just seen that and let him be.

9. Davak24

Jul 15, 2015
    That's awesome.

10. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    which ones would you say do that?

11. Davak24

Jul 15, 2015
    On expanding on Jorus C'Baoth 2882 post about the changes to the EU, I'd like to add that we throw out the abominations known as Bomber Barriss and Surfer Dude Vos. Sound good?

Because quite frankly, if they continue to exist, then they should both be exiled to Mortis, imo.

ShanOffirin likes this.
  12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Kablob 's essays

Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4
    Part 5

did a fairly good job of selling me on the concept.

13. Davak24

Jul 15, 2015
    Sorry, but I don't like Bomber Barriss whatsoever.

Or anything from TCW, to be straight to the point.

ShanOffirin likes this.
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do anybody know where the "Surfer Dude Vos" nickname for Vos in TCW comes from?

Before I saw the episode I expected him to sound like Crush from Finding Nemo, instead Vos only say man once to Obi-Wan and never once dude if I remember right. I just don't see what the problem is since TCW Vos is more or less the Vos we see in DH stories where he is not full of angst/anger, like Infinite's End.

15. Davak24

Jul 15, 2015
    Have you read Dark Disciple?

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Not jet and I don't see what that have to do with it since the nickname come long before the book

17. Davak24

Jul 15, 2015
    Well there's, "hey commander looking good" as well.

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    * completely ignore Dawn of the Jedi

* I would have kept the nightsisters unable to ride rancorns pre-Shadow academy, as it was presented in Courtship of Princess Leia.

* kept the mythosaur skeleton we see in the Marvel comic as the real deal.

* that Fenn Shysa never would have made Boba Fett mandalore since he think that Boba and Spar are the same people and that he left them in the time of their greatest need.

* made the Ssi-Ruuk a returning threat, not a real threat against the galaxy but as a threat to the outer systems that the NR/IR/other just don't have enough manpower to defend properly. If I remember right so was it hinted that it was the chiss that crushed the Ssi-Ruuk, if it was so, so would I also have that the chiss don't have capacity to travel that far, at least not in the way you need to send the forces needed to crush the Ssi-Ruuk.

* ancient kwa space would be focused around the Quelii sector and its near space and would not reach the core.

* the jedi did not learn anything about the Force from the kwa or any of the other "Ancient", at least not until they, or their precursor, had discovered all the basics themselves.

* the Unknown regions is the collective term for any part of space that is barley/not at all mapped for hyperspace travel, not just an area in the western part of the galaxy.

* I would make Ossus is a Core/Deep Core world whose near space only become travelable in the last centuries, more or less, and it was the Empire’s explorer droids who first discovered this but it was not until Luke and Kam landed that offworlders once again strode on Ossus soil.

That's all?

19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I wouldn't have forbidden the EU from revealing that Palpatine is Sidious before ROTS was released. It prevented the EU from exploring the Sheev fully and hiding that Palpatine is Sidious while not hiding that Anakin becomes Vader is a double standard.

I wouldn't have Plagueis alive during TPM. It goes against the spirit of everything that we're shown in the movies.

20. Davak24

Jul 15, 2015
    How bout him jumping out of the gunship yelling?

21. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I'd move the KOTOR era closer to the movies, because the technological development is almost on the same level.

Vthuil likes this.
  22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Darth Plagueis was a good novel but would prefer seeing Plagueis dead long before TPM. Around the time of Anakin's birth preferably.

AusStig and darklordoftech like this.
  23. Davak24

Jul 15, 2015
    Agreed.

It's absurd to have him alive by the time of TPM.

24. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I've always felt it should have been set in the New Sith Wars era.

25. Darth Dreadwar

Darth Dreadwar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 26, 2010
    -The Sith were born from the First Great Schism (or better yet, the Force Wars, when the Force is first being discovered on Tython), and come to control most of the galaxy in pre-Republic days, rather than just the Stygian Caldera and a few outpost worlds. They are overthrown, and the Republic and Jedi flourish. An immortal god-Emperor from these ancient times, the first Darth and first to embrace the dark side, rules from the shadows throughout the period, and survives the Great Hyperspace War, becoming the apocalyptic 'True Sith' of KOTOR II, reminiscent of the Reapers from ME. Relevant: Unknown Regions surround the galaxy, and include satellite galaxies, rather than being the western portion of the disc.
    -The TOTJ 'prequels' never happen. Let the backstory of the True Sith remain mysterious, scrap Sith-human hybridisation, and keep Naga Sadow as a pureblood Sith sorcerer fighting against his former Jedi overlords.
    -KOTOR is moved to 2,000 BBY, with Revan beginning the New Sith Wars through gathering Sith clans left over from Kun's War. Aesthetics are changed to more align with TOTJ. KOTOR II retains TOTJ concepts of Basilisk war droids and Mandalore's mask, and the Ravager is not a Star Destroyer rip-off. KOTOR III happens, in which Revan and the Exile sacrifice themselves to finally seal away the True Sith. Nonethless the Revanite Sith remain and resurge 300 years later after gathering strength, and TOR happens. Perhaps Legacy can be moved to the latter part of the New Sith Wars as well, with Cade being a descendant of Revan rather than a Skywalker.
    -JvS rather than PoD, although allow for RoT and DoE with appropriate changes to Bane's character.
    -Yoda's backstory, and the Sith in between Bane and Palpatine, are explored more. Something like Descent-Into-The-Dark, in which Yoda flirts with the dark side, meets the Sith (thus becoming aware of the Rule of Two), and attempts to steer the Jedi Order in the course needed to fight their inevitable return.
    -Keep the original ROTJ intent for Palpatine: very ancient and somewhat undead (with a body hundreds of years old), and deformed through such heavy use of the dark side he is becoming something other than human. Leave it ambiguous as to whether or not all of the Sith of the Order of the Sith Lords, including Plagueis and Palpatine, are actually just Bane body-hopping. His fair appearance is a Sith illusion.
    -Scrap TFU and TFU II, and with it Force-sensitive cloning.
    -DE is moved up to right after Endor, and includes more ancient Sith intrigue and artifacts and EU references as if it were written after TOTJ and KOTOR. (The holocron of Bastila Shan rather than Bodo Baas, and so on). DE II and EE are heavily modified to be less overly derivative and repetitive, and Palpatine less of a stupid madman. His final defeat should be more like his first defeat in DE meets Sauron's vanquishing in LOTR, involving all Jedi living and Force Ghost, epic rather than a nobody with an overly long name 'dragging' his spirit down to Chaos. (How does that even work?)
    -The original concept for the Yuuzhan Vong, of them being ancient exiled Sith, is retained; they are the True Sith that Revan and the Exile sealed, returned. Anakin Solo lives. Everything post-NJO is scrapped.

Hextrophon likes this.