How would you do Padmé make up for AotC the picnic dress??

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by spacelady, May 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. spacelady Force Ghost

star 5
    How would you do padmés make-up in the sence?? Thank you! :D
  2. queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff

VIP
    star 3
    You mean like what exact lipstick, etc.? Her makeup is a pretty natural foundation-base and powder-with a light dusting of bronzing powder over that for color-probably extended to her collarbone and cleavage as well.
    Eyeshadows are basic vanilla and tape shades, with brown eyeliner, and brown-black mascara. Lips are lined and lipsticked in a natural liptone lipstick-kindof like a tannish-rose color.
    One thing I will say about eyeliner-it should not ever-especially with Padme makeup-be penciled on the inner part of your eyelids-you know, when people pull down their lower eyelid and pencil it in there right against their eye. It should always be applied right in the area along the lashes-right under them on the lower lid, and right above them on the upper. Eyeliner is supposed to be sort of an illusion makeup-not meant to look like a line drawn around the eye, but soft-to make it look like your eyelashes are thicker than what they really are.
    QS
  3. spacelady Force Ghost

star 5
    Do you know if a light black would do for the eyeshadow??
  4. spacelady Force Ghost

star 5
    I mixed dark navy blue with a kindof greenish blue and got a really nice darkish blue that looks like her eye shadow! :D Now I can't get the lipstick right I have the perfect color but it is shinny and sparkly its like what you said a rosie like color. I put some tan blush on and it made my face look almost like hers!! :D I can't find any mascarha but I now I have some that is black. My skin color is a little whiter than her but would black mascarha look better or brown on me?? For the eye liner I have Carcol, black, and Bronze, which will look better on me?? Off topic question, is her hair natural dryed or browed dry and then cruled?? Thank you so much!!! :D :D :D
    Spacelady
  5. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    I saw this question on the Hair and makeup board - I'll repost my response here (with a few edits):

Ah, I saw the question about Padme's makeup and thought I'd dig up the InStyle article from June 2002. It actually tells you how to do the hairstyle and makeup for the nightgown outfit (the one worn when Anakin is meditating in the morning)- Natalie's hair is virtually the same there as it is in the Blue Tatooine Poncho outfit. I also think a similar technique was used with the picnic outfit - just adding the buns and tying the hair into a loose pony tail at the bottom of her neck.

In my opinion, the eye shadow the makeup artist describes below was probably also used on the picnic outfit. (I lucked out - I've used those colors for years and had them on hand when I put together my Picnic Costume. "Bark" is like a grayish brown color. It's really not too dark. I think black would be a little too dark. "Quarry" is a grayish purple/mauve color. When I say purple, I mean only a hint of a purple.). I'm not sure if the picnic lipstick is the same as what is described below. I do believe a sheer lipstick was used - or perhaps a sheer gloss w/o too much of a laquer look to it (NOT a shimmer). A kind-of pinkish mauve, without being too purple of a mauve. A 'natural' color.

However, I think it's more important for people to use a natural looking lipstick that looks good with their own skin tone rather than run out and get the exact color Natalie has on. (If you have a warmer skin tone than she does, a mauve color might look icky). The same goes for eyeshadow. If you don't have a cool skin tone, then quarry will not look natural on you.

-Kay Dee

IN STYLE

Hair - Love wanted to achieve a "romantic, gypsy" look. So after Portman's just shampooed hair had dried naturally, Love added waist-length extensions to the actress's shoulder-length strands and set half-inch sections in heated rubber rollers for 15 minutes. She skipped brushing the hair in order to keep the ringlets intact. To open up Portman's face she swept back side sections above the ears and secured them with tortoiseshell hairpins.

Skin - Vanderwalt started with Lancome Maqui-Libre foundation in Beige Naturel III. "I wanted a light base that would even out the skin tone but was sheer," she explains. To add a "peachy tone" to Portman's cheeks Vanderwalt applied Stila Convertible Color in Camellia on the apples of the cheeks. She finished with a dusting of Shu Uemera Loose Colorless powder.

Eyes - Vanderwalt brushed MAC Bark eye shadow on the lids and MAC shadow in Quarry on the brow bones before applying one coat of Max Factor 2000 Calorie mascara in black-brown to top lashes.

Lips - Wanting a shade similar to Portman's own lip color, Vanderwalt went with the obvious choice: a sheer Stila shade inspired by the star and called, appropriately, Natalie.
  6. queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff

VIP
    star 3
    since you are a little lighter complected than her-I would use black-brown mascara-it is actually a blend of black and brown-a lot of makeup brands sell it. As for liner-I would still try to find a dark brown eyeliner instead of black. Her hair is air dried and then curled loosely, and certain tendrils are twisted and fastened in the back...and the hair in the chrocheted snoods is actually fake-it is fake hair inside of them-plus the headband, that is two thin ribbons sewn together, with the little rosettes sewn onto it.
    QS
  7. spacelady Force Ghost

star 5
    Does she have any eye shadow?
  8. spacelady Force Ghost

star 5
    I have found the PERFECT foundation!!!! YAY!!!!! :D

Should I use powder then the kinda liqudy??
    The lip gloss is perfect too!
    The mascarha is coming to me because I just bought it at May Kay!
  9. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Space Lady Yes, Padme has on eyeshadow. If you read the article above they used the eyeshadow called Bark and Quarry from MAC. I think the same or similar colors are used with the picnic dress. Just keep the eyeliner light - MAC makes a taupe pencil liner that looks pretty good. I really wouldn't worry about the makeup too much. Just go for a 'natural' look and what looks good on you.

-Kay Dee
  10. queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff

VIP
    star 3
    spacelady-you use liquid foundation first, and then a finishing powder over that-it can be sold in a compact and called pressed powder, or it can be loose powder in a little case-either one will work. The liquid evens out your skin tone and conceals minor flaws, and the powder "sets" the makeup so it lasts longer.
    QS
  11. spacelady Force Ghost

star 5
    Thankyou so,so,so,so,so,so,so,so,so,so,so much!!!! :D

This is really great help! :D

Once I get a chance and a camera I will post pics of my hair and makeup! :D
  12. spacelady Force Ghost

star 5
    My mascara just came today it is just brown but it looks very good. Natural if fact. I also got cheeck color its name is "Just Peechy" I think.
  13. spacelady Force Ghost

star 5
    I can't get her hairstyle right. I can't curl my hair right. Is there any tips I can use??
  14. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Spacelady have you tried hot rollers? (That's what the hair dresser used for the movie). When I did my hair I bought a 3/4 fall that came in wavy curls. My own hair still showed in the front and on the sides - so before I put on the wig I used velcro rollers and sat under a hair dryer hood for about 20 minutes. Some of the curls didn't turn out too great, so I then used my curling iron to touch up some of the curls. If you use a curling iron be sure to wrap your hair around the barrel like a spiral.

This picture is kind of dorky but you can see the results I had. http://www.padawansguide.com/gifs/kathy_picnic4.jpg

I'm just wondering, did you make or buy a picnic costume? Do you have some event you are going to where you need to have your hair and makeup done up for the picnic dress?

-Kay Dee
  15. spacelady Force Ghost

star 5
    Thanks. :)

I am going to a dinner (fansy)

I didn't make or buy a dress because I didn't have enough time its on Saturday. I just found out about it when I posted the first post.
    Your pic looks increadible!!! :D The dress! Its so beautiful! :D And you HAIR!!!!!!!! :D
  16. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Ah Spacelady - well if you are going to a dinner then you probably don't want to be wearing buns and hair extensions. If you are going for the curly look just keep playing with rollers and experiment with a curling iron.

Have fun!

-kay dee
  17. spacelady Force Ghost

star 5

Do you think that I could get hot rollers at target? How much would they be? Thank you! :D
  18. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, I'm sure Target or a drug store would have hot rollers (I've often seen them at Longs and Walgreens). I have no idea what they go for. Just head on down to the drug store, target, or a beauty supply and price them out.

-Kay Dee
  19. spacelady Force Ghost

star 5
    Thanks!! :D The hairstyle worked great!!!! :D
  20. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Spacelady I'm glad to hear you got the hairstyle to work for your special occasion. If you happened to take photos I'd love to see how it turned out :)

-Kay Dee
  21. scribe88 Jedi Knight

star 1
    KD that is a lovely pic!!! Looks like your hair turned out great!!
Moderators: Commander-DWH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.