main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How would you feel about a Stan Lee style cameo with Lucas? Either comedically, or giving advice

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by The Last Cookiemonster, Jun 7, 2018.

1. The Last Cookiemonster

The Last Cookiemonster Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2017
    I'm of the opinion that the sequel trilogy has gone off the rails, and needs to pull out all the stops it can to win audiences back, giving some very clear hooks that this one will be different.

While I imagined a trailer full of everything from Anakin to Ahsoka to Mace Windu in some big world-between-worlds time war shenanigan, maybe explaining that Snoke was from elsewhere, I got thinking about how interested I'd be to see Lucas himself in a SW movie. While Stan Lee's appearances are kept as self-referential jokes in the Marvel movies, Star Wars shouldn't be about self-referential humour, but rather introspection and personal guidance and bettering oneself.

Some people would probably hate the idea. I can see why. It depends on how they pulled it off.

I imagined that he could work as a sort of serious advice-giver who speaks to a protagonist, maybe a hermit in a cave, maybe somebody called the chronicler or historian. Maybe somebody who seems more than they appear.

One even crazier idea fits into how I sort of wanted IX to go to redeem the plot holes. I have this vision where all the ripped-off 'reboot' scenes in the ST are given a reason, with it being established that Rey has been carrying Luke's severed force (explaining so much from the saber calling to her, to events playing out identically around her, to her dreaming of his island, and, importantly, her becoming an instantly-capable jedi). This could propel her through his destiny to his death, being sucked into the force nether, finally expanding what we see in the SW universe. There may be a bunch of people meditating, Rey asks what they're doing, Luke takes a moment to respond then says "Thinking." He strips Rey of his power, saying it will kill her, he's already dead, and she's on the brink of death herself if she keeps it, she simply can't go on with it. It's devastating for her. He's going to send her back, yet she runs off in the force afterlife. Luke sighs but doesn't chase. She comes across a cave with a painter, it's George Lucas, he's painting the story of Luke, Han, Leia, etc, maybe they're even shown together as a trio in their old age, a scene missing in the ST. Rey takes a moment, then says he is the force, isn't he? He's slow to answer, and says sometimes, or an aspect, or something like that. He paints Luke's destiny as best he can. He imparts some wisdom about life to her, about how she shouldn't be upset to lose Luke's destiny, because he wasn't painting it for her, now she can have her own, isn't tied to Luke anymore, and sends her back.

(Where I see that going is that she arrives back, powerless, and is still upset. But she gains a new calling. She goes around talking to all the other ex Jedi teachers who walked away from the order when Luke's academy failed. People who we've seen in other media and Legends. We don't need to know who they are other than other people who for a time dabbled in Jedi stuff, and walked away when Luke Skywalker did, they've seen the Jedi fail too many times. People like Ahsoka, Ezra, Kyle Katarn. Yet the old man who is Bridger snorts at the name Luke Skywalker, saying that for all his claims about wanting to end the Jedi, he never shut up about them, was focused on them, was the most dedicated Jedi of all. Giving a new perspective to redeem Luke's character. Rey uses this to unite the former Jedi, says that they should still teach, in memory of Luke, of his dedication. Luke shows up to her impassioned speech, impressed, and calls out to Leia in the force, similar to his scene from ESB to an extent, and asks her to give her living force power to Rey, that it will kill her, but she'll gain a daughter for the son she lost, a new Skywalker by adoption. He maybe mentions that Leia was the one who the Jedi always wanted, she was the one who they sensed had the destiny to restart the Jedi order, but Luke was the one who wanted to be a Jedi, he now thinks it should be Leia's turn to play her part in rebuilding the order, her living destiny is uncapped. Rey regains her force abilities, it's understood that Leia is dead, then the old half-Jedi teach her, forming a new Jedi Order around her and with the ghost of Luke, possibly with other characters such as Finn proving force sensitive after all the hints in TFA, marking the true beginning of the new Jedi Order in a way which coherently connects everything, in and out of the movies. They may go on to face the 'source of the darkside', the starforge which makes darksiders much more powerful and explains the first order's impossibly massive weaponry, the final gift of the empire's reign on the galaxy, perhaps implying Snoke was just some random politician who became powerful in there but ultimately wasn't suited to the force, whereas Kylo Ren will be true danger from that. After the defeat of the First Order, force ghost Luke might be seen watching the new protagonists, along with Lucas, who says his story is done and leads him away).

TheCloneWarsForever likes this.
  2. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
  3. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Or you could just watch a marvel film if you want marvel fan service.

4. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I want, and I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really
    want a

JOHN WILLIAMS CAMEO!

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  5. The Last Cookiemonster

The Last Cookiemonster Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2017
    Yeah I'm aware of that guy, had one of the better episodes in the Clone Wars. :) And I loved the senator character played by, it turned out, the voice actress for Bastilla Shan, which is why her voice sounded so familiar.

Fan service is a term for things which have no purpose and make no coherent sense, like Yoda repeating his lines from ESB in TLJ, despite Luke having long grown past them and now showing the opposite problems. Things which make it better are called just making a good movie, which fans hopefully would like, and I'm only suggesting doing this if it's good. Something to give a sense of returning to the roots to wrap up the Skywalker saga and pass the torch to Rey, and help explain the similarities we've seen between the movies with an in-universe painter explicitly mentioning them, and saying it's time for them to diverge, also giving a chance to give a happier sense of ending for the OT characters and story who have been run into the mud.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    TheCloneWarsForever likes this.
  6. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    So this thread is just an excuse for another 'how I would fix the ST' post, which basically starts with the tone of 'this is already bad, let's see how much worse we can make it'?

7. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    No it would stick out too much. Star Wars is different from comic book films. Comic books have a very flexible canon so no one blinks an eye when Stan Lee appears in different times, places and jobs. Star Wars particularly now post Disney has a very concrete and fixed canon.

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  8. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001
    And obvious cameos for the sake of having cameos breaks the fourth wall too much for me. No thanks.

9. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    But John Williams would really deserve it

10. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    It would have to be the same character each time and make sense for him to be there.

11. S73

S73 Jedi Master

Dec 21, 2014
    IDK how much I'd like it, but since w/o him we wouldn't have SW, I think he should pretty much get to do what he wants.

JMO.

12. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Subtle cameos are fun for me. But please no.... camera close up <wink> <wink> cameos.

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    John Williams, yes please!

Darth Smurf likes this.
  14. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    It probably won't happen, but sure, why not?

Either way, I do think it would be nice to see the Bad Robot somewhere in the movie.

15. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    GL's character could be named Flan Nelshert.

Lulu Mars and JoshieHewls like this.
  16. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001
    Like a Clint Howard cameo where we all stop in the of a Ron Howard film and say, "Oh, there he is."

17. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    No. Lucas would never agree to do it and it would be out of place in Star Wars. Works for Marvel not for Star Wars.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  18. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    Being the boss of a cantina band. Rey walks over to him and says: "Play my song please"

19. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Nah, that was okay with me. His character was not particularly in your face. I actually missed him the first time I saw it.

20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That would be cool.

21. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001
    That's because I pointed it out to you ;)

Yes, subtle fine (though I do give a pass to Warwick in plain sight like in Solo.)

It's the nudge nudge stuff I can't stand.

22. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I was rooting for a J Dubbs cameo in Canto Bight playing the space piano. Huge missed opportunity. Fingers crossed for IX

23. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Lucas already got his cameo in episode 3. I don’t want multiple characters with the same face. Having an actor play multiple characters who are masked or what not is fine.

24. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    How would I feel? [face_sick]

25. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I should be making a cameo in a star wars film.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018