main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How would you feel about re-textured CGI in Special Editions?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by JackP, Aug 13, 2015.

1. JackP

JackP Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2015
    So people generally hate it when puppets and model shots are replaced with CGI, especially if the CGI doesn't look better. But how about if the CGI models were kept, but given better textures?

2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    they don't need them.

Cryogenic likes this.
  3. SalaciousAckbar

SalaciousAckbar Jedi Knight

Aug 7, 2015
    A few shots here and there could use a touch, but not many. It wouldn't bother me either way.

Andy Wylde, L110 and Billy_Dee_Binks like this.
  4. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    I'm fine with CGI in Special Editions as it is. The few bits here and there that could have been done little bit better don't bother me in the slightest. And not all visual changes in IV, V and VI are CGI.

5. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    The one major change they neede to do was done for the blu ray release and that was change yoda in tpm to the cgi model from the puppet so that he matched up better. The cgi yoda from rots aotc meshes better with the ot puppet then the puppet from tpm.

6. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I wouldn't mind it, but at the same time, 99% of the CGI that's already there is very convincing. I still think the clones are some of the most impressive CGI that I've ever seen, personally

The only things I'd think could use some improving is when the stunt guys had the normal actors' faces CGI'd over. I'd always been dubious of making a CGI face, but seeing Terminator Genisys turn a body double's face into a convincing young Arnold Schwarzenegger has renewed my faith in human facial CGI

Big_Benn_Klingon and Sab Jo like this.
  7. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Sure.

8. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

Nice night for a walk.

9. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Well, this won't be a touchy subject at all :p worth discussing, however.

I feel like it would be a bit hypocritical of me, considering I'm someone who's perfectly comfortable with the OT Special Editions, to give a flat out "no" to the idea of giving the prequels a graphical touch-up. I certainly understand the appeal. Part of my love for the OT SE's is the fact that, since Star Wars is such a timeless, multigenerational story, it's fitting that the movies themselves feel visually timeless as well. The SE's help the OT feel like they come from an unplaceable era of cinema, when grainy 1970's film stock and CGI landscapes coexestied in harmony. And as the prequels get older, they certainly do begin to show their age, not entirely in a negative way but certainly in a noticeable way. I'm not against them joining in on the SE party and becoming truly ageless films, but I have a couple of big stipulations:

1. Considering that this is the post-George era, and Lucas would presumably not be involved in these updated versions, it's absolutely imperative that these updates remain 100% faithful to the original intent of the images. There is a fine line between improving something and altering its identity. George Lucas is allowed to cross that line, but nobody else should be.

2.Just as should be the case with the OT Special Editions, I think the original, theatrical versions of the films should be available to any fan who wishes to watch them. Not because one version is inherently superior to the other, but because I think it is a perfectly valid desire for anyone to want to be able to appreciate Star Wars as a piece of cinema history, and to appreciate what these movies were and looked like in '77, '80, '83, '99, '02, and '05. That's an option that should be open to anyone.

10. JackP

JackP Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2015
    This is true. Due to reputation whenever I'm not watching the PT I remember it as having crappy CGI that doesn't look at all convincing, but whenever I rewatch I'm always pleasantly surprised. Sure, some of the stuff may have been better in physical environments or having creatures which were really there, but apart from the odd shot it easily stands up today. Attack of the Clones Yoda could do with a touchup, and I can't remember what but I do recall thinking "that texture looks a bit dodgy" also in Clones, but only because I was looking for them in that particular viewing.

And yes, I was surprised that no Clonetrooper costumes were used at all!

I think I read somewhere that only one Battle Droid was a physical prop? In a magazine I had there was a shot of them on the Naboo battlefield, and the caption challenged the readers to work out which was the real one.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  11. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Pretty sure it's the one Jar Jar steps on. I know that was actually Ahmed Best in costume, one of three shots where Jar Jar wasn't CG

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

12. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    CGI Yoda in TPM is much better.

I think redoing any CGI to give it more resolution and appear more realistic or better is absolutely fine. Changes that improve the realism like the clones talking on Utapau whilst rappelling down are fine.

But adding a No for Vader in ROTJ seems unnecessary. But the other CGI updates are fine. The whole saga should feel as one. The CGI in the PT for that time was pretty damn good, especially ROTS. I think that film still looks good. Maybe AOTC can be updated to give more clarity to the massive battle at the end, as it doesn't look as solid as the battles in ROTS which seem more real, than CGI.

13. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    No its fine the way it is.

Andy Wylde and thejeditraitor like this.
  14. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    I wouldn't mind it if they correct some textures for the CGI characters or creatures as I don't mind the changes in the OT since they are only cosmetic changes. But after having watched The Phantom Menace last week-end after many years, for a film made with CGI effects from the end of the 1990's, it still holds up pretty well on a 1080p screen on Blu-Ray.

bibfortuitous and mes520 like this.
  15. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i think the cgi characters look good. arguably the naboo gungan-droid battle looks a bit cartoonish. the grass somewhat. maybe even the geonosian landscape in ATOC, but those thing's would be a major thing to redo.

16. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    I think this will inevitably happen. All the CGI was done in 2K in the PT. Once 4K or 8K TVs become commonplace, they will have to go back and adjust the CGI.

If they can improve some of it at the same time, then I'm all for it. (For instance, Obi on the veradactyl). I also wish they'd go in and replace some of that 1997 CGI from the SE. I'm actually surprised GL didn't do that himself. He replaced old CGI ANH Jabba with a new CGI Jabba for the blu-rays. He also altered Watto's coloration, and I think he looks even better (not that he ever looked bad; the 1997 Watto holds up against any CGI of today). I wish GL had improved some of the dewbacks, a couple shots of Sarlacc, etc. for the blu-rays.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  17. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    I just want more CGI walls inserted.

18. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Just fix the damned Naboo surf pig.

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  19. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013

Yeah, I totally agree with this. The surf pig and some of the shots of them riding the animals in the arena stand out as some of the worst shots in ATOC, and the whole thing becomes a little perplexing. GL and his crew recognized that those shots didn't work right, and they were planning a new technique to fix that problem for ROTS, since they knew that Obi-Wan would be riding the veradactyl. For whatever reason, though, they never got around to implementing that new technique. In The Making of ROTS, all they basically say is that they ran out of time, but they had 3 years to prepare. I think veradactyl Obi-Wan definitely looks better than surf pig, but that's one of the few times in ROTS when things don't look just right to me. Sure all the films (PT/OT) had some shots that didn't go right, but it seems strange that there's this one in ROTS because it seems like this flaw is only there because of mismanagement.

Andy Wylde and Darth Downunder like this.
  20. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    If Lucas would allow it, then fine. I just don't want people to tinker with HIS films without HIS permission.

bibfortuitous and Andy Wylde like this.
  21. Big_Benn_Klingon

Big_Benn_Klingon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2013
    Whatever works, man.. If that's replacing textures or total CGI replacement.. so be it. The CGI model that replaced the Yoda puppetry in the latest version of TPM was vastly superior, IMO. Im not sure that that could have been pulled off with just texture manipulation.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  22. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    I think future changes they make are fine as long as they also make the current versions available as the directors cut, or the George Lucas edition. People should be able to buy the Lucas edition but if they make changes esp getting rid of some of the SE crap from the OT then I'm all for it.

23. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    I think the problem is that if they were to do a special edition of the prequels to update the CGI, where would it stop? I mean, if they updated it now, probably in twenty, thirty years time, it will look dated, should they then do it again, so it's in keeping with whatever effects are like then? I know it's probably a tiny bit ridiculous of me, but really, I think there has to be a time when you just accept the effects for what they are, and keep it the way it is. Let the storytelling be what draws people in, not whether or not a clonetrooper in the background looks convincing or not.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Enough has to be enough at some point. Or turning practical stuff from the OT to CGI or inserting CGI in the OT movies. They have to stand on their own at some point.

25. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Im of the opinion of just retelling the story in a different format. Lego Star Wars is a great example. I love that GL made the OT look more like the PT. It belongs to Disney now and they should not add or take away anything after the complete saga episodes. Let Disney focus on their own trilogy.