main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How Would You Feel About the Galaxy Being in a State of Cold War?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Lurknomore, Jul 2, 2014.

?

How would you feel about a Cold War?

Poll closed Aug 31, 2014.
  1. I like it

12 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. I don't like it

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lurknomore

Lurknomore Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2014
    [​IMG]

Sparked by this rumor: http://makingstarwars.net/2014/07/random-star-wars-episode-vii-rumors-internet-dont-shoot-messenger/

I want to know who likes the idea of a Cold War between the "Empire" and a New Republic, and who doesn't.

Here are the pros and cons as I see them:

Pros
    - A Cold War in the ST would logically follow the WWII analogy that is the OT.
    - It would preserve the gains of ROTJ by having their victory result in a new Republic...
    - ... while still leaving big problems for the new heroes of the ST to solve.

Cons
    -A Cold War is, by definition, "cold", so many of the out-and-out battles of open warfare may have to be replaced by sneakiness and subterfuge (Like a spy thriller: "Star Espionage"?)
    -Murks up the boundary between good and evil if half the galaxies want to stay in the Empire and see the Republic as the enemy (although maybe that's a good thing..?)
    -Also murky if the Republic has to use "proxy battles" (like Nam and Korea) to fight the Empire. What really makes one any better than the other at that point?

Note: This is a How-would-you-feel-IF-they-did-this-? Thread. Not a Do-you-think-this-rumor-is-true-? Thread.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
  3. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    Well I was one of the first to bring up the topic in that thread I love that you started a topic for it. As for the idea I love it! Also keep in mind that the cold war doesn't have to last and by the end of Episode 7 or 8 war could break out again.

Trebor Sabreon and Lurknomore like this.
  4. Han Yolo

Han Yolo Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 7, 2013
    I have thought about all viable options and in my opinion this is the way they HAVE to take E7.

This allows for a familiar enemy. Familiar imagery. Easy summary in the opening. etc.

5. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    Meh... Archaeology? They better not find one of these:

[​IMG]

Lurknomore likes this.
  6. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    I took that rumour with a giant mountain of salt. However, with that said, it would seem to gel very well with what Lucas hinted at about the ST over the years, saying it would be about moral choices and the blurring of distinction between good and evil etc.

TK327, Trebor Sabreon and Lurknomore like this.
  7. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    Now you've done it. Might as well say Daisy isn't playing Leia's daughter and there are no sith or jedi.

Heads asplode

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  8. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    Well, I think it could it be interesting to see a different sort of conflict rather than the usual Good Guys vs. Bad Guys. So a 'Cold War' of sorts could work, as long as it lasted the last 30 years and then erupts into full-blown war in Episode VII (so as to not have a really boring movie).

One thing about the real-life cold war, it was between the US and Russia, who were allies during WW2. The cold war wasn't between Germany and the West, unless you count East Germany, but the USSR was the primary opposition.

Back to SW: The OT war was between the Rebels and Galactic Empire. If a third faction arose that could oppose the restored Republic (instead of the Empire), that has a lot of story potential.

Bullhead CIty likes this.
  9. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    Good idea. I like the cold war idea because it is something we haven't seen in the Star Wars saga.

10. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Cold Wars are, by nature, cold and boring so you have the risk of something even more boring than the Trade Federation politics.

However, if the cold war is between the Alliance and what others are calling "Imperial Remnant" then it could serve as tension leading to the two powers coming together to defeat the main villain and thus resulting in the formation of the New Republic which we pretty much can assume will be one of the main goals of the ST.

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I would love a Stalin-like dictator as the villain!

12. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    It took 2 3/4 of film to start the Clone Wars proper; the initial conflict was between an organization and a world. Cold War is cool because it does allow smaller, more personal conflicts to play out amidst the "threat" of war. Smaller skirmishes versus eye candy dog fights. Moral ambiguity for the greater good.

I always wondered what the Confederacy of Independent Systems' take was on the Rebel Alliance vs. the Empire. Many of those worlds may still not want to rejoin the Republic. Some of the Rebellion's ships looked like CIS ships; the Medical Frigate in particular. We're those ships just salvaged from TCW? Or were they donated by worlds that were still resisting the Republic / Empire?

Before jizzing too much about Mandalore, its very possible a powerful remnant of the CIS refuses to make nice with the Core Systems in this era.

Iron_lord likes this.
  13. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    I have no problem at all with a cold war. In fact, I think I would rather like it. Lets not forget that a cold war doesn't have to stay cold all of the time. During the period of Cold War in the 20th century there were hot wars in Korea, Vietnam and Afghanistan just to name the obvious ones. Cold war doesn't necessarily mean no action.

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.