main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga How would you have done the Clone War conflict

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by PaperSkin, Nov 18, 2015.

1. PaperSkin

PaperSkin Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 12, 2015
    We have had a good look at what the Clone Wars were via the PT and the Clone Wars series, but lets say we hadn't seen the PT how would you envision the Clone Wars having just heard the name in the OT.

How would it start, what were the reason(s), who were the fighters...

My version would have had the war going on for decades (all of Anakin's life) and had clone/droid/civilian armies on both sides.

Cloning technology was a recent invention in the GFFA and so the war became known as the clone wars as it was the first war to ever use clone armies (as-well as droids and civilians)

The galaxy is 40% Human 60% Other life forms, the core has a higher percentage of humans, the mid rim is more evened out but with Aliens slightly more prevalent, the outer rim is un-counted for as its outside of the Republic influence, the lawless lands of the galaxy.

There was growing sentiment especially in the mid rim that the Republic had a Human slant, they were the favoured species, the species whose people were most likely to be wealthy be apart of the elite and in power, some species felt discriminated against despite the Republic claim to treat all as equals.

There was also tension that the core wasn't supporting the mid rim to its best/full ability, and many mid rim worlds were suffering and felt the core wasn't doing enough to help them. So there was also a divide with Humans/Aliens in the mid rim to the Humans/Aliens of the core.

The first battles would be kicked off by Grievous's species and a few systems that agreed with their view, they felt betrayed by the Republic and wanted to separate, they used a Clone Army alone with civilians to kick back against the Republic.

This caused a massive ripple through the Republic, some outraged and disturbed by what Grevious group did and others sympathetic to their reasons, heated debate commenced and more systems and noted figures (including Dooku) disillusioned with the Republic backed this separatist stance.

The Republic formed a military defence as more and more systems backed the separatists, the loyal Republicans felt betrayed and fearful of the separatist movement, they felt they were a movement for chaos while the separatist saw themselves as a movement for a new way of life one more free, free from the shackles of the Republic that they felt that had become too overbearing, corrupt, racist and not serving or helping worlds in the mid rim to their best ability.

The Republic at first just used Clones Droids and jedi to fight, while the separatist used Clones Droids but they didn't have the numbers and ability to produce the amount the Republic could so they thought with Civilians too. As the war raged on the Republic would (controversially) be forced to use civilians.

Eventually New Emp bomb technology was created and rendered droid armies obsolete as they could be taken out in big swathes, and clone armies took time to grow so more and more the war was thought by the people of the galaxy.

The Jedi were always paired with the elite clone troopers, which would prove to be their downfall.

The separatist lose, many species/systems were wiped out or greatly reduced in numbers. A new Empire was created helped by people so horrified by the death and chaos caused by the war that the idea of order being achieved was reassuring, little did they fully realize the consequences of what they were sighing away in order to create a galaxy without conflict.

That's just my idea anyway, its fun to play in this sandbox. I'm going to do another thread about how Dooku, the sith and the jedi could of been done on the PT, and so how they would play into my version of the events stated here, I think I got quite a new unique version to how Dooku plays into it and who he is. So if your interested in that (unlikely I know, I do babble) check it out when I put it up. Thanks.

So what's your ideas...

2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    What if the Clone Wars were about clones?

One faction grows clones and uses them as a slave class, another faction objects on the grounds of universal sentient rights, the first faction claims the second faction is infringing on their rights to run their society the way they choose, John Brown is martyred for Clone Rights, somebody opens fire on Starfort Sumter, and it's Blue vs Grey a long time ago all along the Mason-Dixon Quadrant Line.

3. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Not as good as Lucas, probably.

Tommytom, Darkslayer and Seagoat like this.
  4. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I don't remember what my ideas about the Clone Wars were. I just assumed it was a big war involving many clones and the Jedi and somehow it led to the rise of the Empire. The PT version is much more interesting, of course, with a twist of the clonetroopers being the good guys at first. My only complaint is that there's not enough of the Clone Wars. We only see the beginning and the end and as a result half of the PT lacks urgency. I'm generally behind the storytelling in the PT but I think GL made a strategic mistake by not starting the Clone Wars in Episode I (granted, that would have meant other significant changes, such as an older Anakin - something that a lot of viewers would have preferred).

5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I'd have the droids look like IG-88, with IG-88 being a survivor of the war.

6. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    I don't know if I would have bothered making such a big deal about the Clone Wars. I never understood the need for some that the Clone Wars should have been heavily portrayed in the first place. It was nothing more than another tool used by Palpatine to help bring down the Republic and the Jedi . . . like the Trade Federation's invasion of Naboo.

7. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Exactly as it was done, but make one of the TCW arcs a live-action film. Make TPM into a separate trilogy.

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That was after the fact though. You didn't know that going in, did you?

9. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    From reading the Zahn books, I was expecting clones of Jedi. Considering how thinly stretched the Jedi were when the war broke out, it would have made sense. Clearly, this concept is at odds with Palpatine's ultimate plan of wiping out the Jedi--but a clone army with Force abilities would have been interesting.
    Having said that, I don't have a problem with how they were handled.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I like them perfectly. I also like they added proxy wars to the Clone WARS. If someone is going to rewrite it...make it more interesting. Evil clones and Mandalorians are so predictable now. Add in Darth Maul and you have a recipe for a copycat of every prequel rewrite of ALL TIME. Maybe make clones neutral and decide if the Republic wants to free them because they are slaves. Maybe have a brutal civil war over clone rights. Have a pre rebellion that starts off as a terrorist group, since these films are 9/11 and Afghanistan War conflict era, then have the Jedi lead the Republic stormtroopers to fight them but the Republic betrays the Jedi and they have no choice but to ally themselves with them. Maybe have a malevolent leader who is a terrorist but have Obi Wan or Bail overthrow them and change the insurgents ideals. Idk, just throwing out ideas. Make it more fun and creative is all I am saying if you are going to do it.

darklordoftech likes this.
  11. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm glad that there weren't any cloned Jedi because Force-sensitivity being clonable creates a bunch of plot holes.

Deliveranze likes this.
  12. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Yeah to me, that sounded kind of corny. Like Anakin fighting a bunch of hims is kind of a stupid idea to me.

darklordoftech likes this.
  13. Tommytom

Tommytom Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2015
    I honestly like it how it is, but if I decided to come up with an alternative way the conflict was established, here's how I would have done it. When I first heard the term "Clone Wars" in A New Hope, I thought of the clones being an invasive force rather than the armed force for the Old Republic. I also thought of many wars involving said clones. I think the current Clone Wars did a fine job with its proxy wars, but they weren't really all that well emphasized in the films. Granted, they are much better detailed (along with many other parts of the prequel era) in The Clone Wars animated TV show, but many fans consider this to be, well, throwing it under the rug. And it's kind of understandable, from a certain point of view. Would have had a much more emphasis on many proxy wars all involving this clone army, though it does all add up to one galactic struggle.

Truth be told, I love how it was written, and realistically if I had the chance to rewrite the canon, I probably wouldn't change it. I love the mystery of how the Clone Army used by the Republic was created, and how the Sith was involved in it. Watching all of this unravel in The Clone Wars TV show was very satisfying. Plus, I don't even mind the idea of clones vs droids. I mean, it's a long long time ago, but it is clearly a superior-in-technology galaxy. Not to mention, the Clone Wars was ultimately a big ruse for Palpatine to get power. Makes sense when you think about it. Adds well to the universe of Star Wars, imo. But one of the biggest and most fair points is that when you have two practically disposable armies thrown at each other, it ends up lacking emotion. Sure, you could bring up how there were many proxy wars, so we can assume people from the planets fought and died, but these weren't shown clearly enough in the films, which is where the casual fan or moviegoer gets most their SW info from. So, in order to make this more clear, here's finally how I would do it.

The Confederacy is now a newly formed government. It has a large arsenal of security droids at their hands (so we can keep these things relevant! :) ), but to the Separatists, they "clearly' are not fit to fight in a war for them. So, it's actually the Confederacy that, for nearly a decade, in utmost secrecy, develops a clone army. At the end of the decade and Secessionist Movement/Separatist Crisis, we can have events similar to that of the ending of AOTC, in the sense that some Ani, Obi, and Padme are captured and are to be executed in the eyes of the Confederacy/Separatists, but the Jedi come to the arena and kick some booty. But the sheer size of the clone army overwhelms the Jedi knights completely, and though they are able to rescue Ani, Obi and Padme, they are forced to retreat. After this, the Clone Wars erupt as the Clone Army of the Confederacy pushes forward into the Republic as aggressors, hoping to secure their independence (you know, tell the Republic, "hey, don't mess with us!"). The Jedi know they cannot fight this war, it's not in their nature. But the Republic and its people are also threatened. "Reluctantly", Palpatine ends up accepting emergency powers from the Senate, and to symbolically represent the lightning speed that the Republic can get back on its feet and protect itself, forms the Stormtrooper Corps (if I wasn't clear, Republic doesn't have army). The corps are made up entirely of drafted men and women who are forced to serve. It's sad, but that's what war is. Sadness. It adds emotion, more depth to the conflict.

For the sake of not making this post too big, the rest of is for you to think about. TL;DR Clone Army is created by the Confederacy/Separatists, pushes forward into the Republic, Jedi cannot fight the war, Palpatine granted emergency powers by Senate, creates the Stormtrooper Corps, conscription is enacted, many average-day people are sent to die for the Republic.

Sarge likes this.