main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How would you have ended the saga?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by ANAKINSKYWEEZER, Dec 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ANAKINSKYWEEZER

ANAKINSKYWEEZER Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2003
    I've been to lots of movie sites lamenting ROTJ, for many various reasons. There's in fact a website called "50 Reasons Why ROTJ Sucked." I'll admit that some of it is nitpicking, but all in all, there are a few valid points. One of the biggest being that the idea of another Death Star plot device and the main character (s) having to shut down a power generator was used again, a la ANH. My question to you guys out there: For those disappointed with ROTJ, how would you have done it? If to get rid of the DS plot device, eliminating Ewoks, etc.?

Here are a few ideas that Lucas and co. considered for ROTJ:

- Luke died at the hands of the Emperor.
    - The lava planet concept was still in tact.
    - Lando died in the Death Star explosion.
    - The Ewoks were supposed to be Wookies, but this may become repetitive after another little movie comes out in 2005. :)
    - A major plot point involved Grand Moff Jerjerrod competing for power as leaders of the Empire; in the meantime, the polluted planet of Had Abbadon was being "cleaned out" to become the Empire's new paradise.
    - Han biting the dust was considered a few times.
    - Luke may have put on the Vader helmet at the end and become evil, declaring that he would crush the Empire. This is indeed dark, but the only reason I wouldn't choose it would be that it defeats the entire purpose of the saga and leaves a window open to another trilogy, which just wouldn't work in my opinion.

Start thinking!

2. Naboo1

Naboo1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2003
    I liked the way it ended. If everyone had died at the end, it would have been Deep Space Nine.

3. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Doesn't really matter how I would have ended it. ;)

I think its fine the way it is. I wouldn't do anything different, and having already seen the movie, its hard to imagine it any other way.

4. ANAKINSKYWEEZER

ANAKINSKYWEEZER Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2003
    I'm not saying they should all have died, I'm saying that the whole mood of ROTJ did a complete 180 from ESB, which I liked about 10X better.

5. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I still would have kept a happy ending and not killed any of the main characters. And I like the Vader-saves-Luke-from-Palpatine ending.

However, I would have not done anything on the order of the Jabba's palace Muppetfest*, nor would I have had cute fuzzy Ewoks.

* Yes, I realize that that means I would get rid of Salacious Crumb and slave Leia, two of my favorite elements of the saga. Oh cruel irony!

Rick McCallum loves you!

6. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Adam...the scene with Jabba still could have worked without the muppets and had Crumb and Slave Leia.

7. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    The only change I would make would be the following:

After the Death Star has been vaped, elements of the Imperial fleet will momentarily cease all fire directed at the Rebel fleet. They will then turn their guns on the forest moon of Endor and blast any, and all Ewok villages, before returning to the Rebel threat.

Destroy the Ewoks, that is my only change.

8. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    As far as the overall plot goes, I wouldn't change it. I thought it wrapped up very nicely.

9. winter_chili

winter_chili Jedi Master star 5

Nov 6, 2002
    Luke should have died with Vader, bringing an end to the jedi

10. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    The way George Lucas envisioned it. :)

11. Master_Enkei

Master_Enkei Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 19, 2003
    I would have left everything the same, but after the final scene in RotJ, I would have shown Endor (with all the chars on it), explode, and then have George's face come onscreen, and he just starts laughing.

12. isbagent1

isbagent1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 5, 2003
    I would have like it to end with a series of speeches by Rebel officers about the victorius day, restoring peace to the Galaxy, and charging capture Imps with war crimes. Perhaps some talk of taking Coruscant back and wiping it clean of Imperial filth.

Then: Cut to Ewok celebration. :)

13. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    * Yes, I realize that that means I would get rid of Salacious Crumb and slave Leia, two of my favorite elements of the saga. Oh cruel irony!

[face_laugh]

The way the STAR WARS Saga ends is great. Prophecy fulfilled. Balance to the Force. Peace and freedom to the galaxy.

;)

14. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    I also would have liked to see Wedge or Lando or especaily Han make a speech about the battle. And I think my favorite scene in the saga is when Luke burns the Vader suit. ROTJ is still probably my favorite because Lando kicks some ass.

15. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    That website is a bunch of crap. ROTJ is an absolute masterpiece. I will find the owners of that website and cover the walls of their house in color-coded poop.

Courtesy of the Parental Revenge Agency of Western America, of course. :p

16. General_Windu

General_Windu Jedi Master star 1

Dec 20, 2003
    Well whats up with Chewies Flat Face in ROTJ? Oh well. I liek it the way it is.

17. MyEternalRest

MyEternalRest Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2002
    Actually I think a bittersweet victory would've been just the thing to remind them, the characters, and us, the audience, exactly what it took to get there. A line or two about Bothans doesn?t really pull at my heartstrings. While admittedly Anakin?s death was bittersweet for us as an audience (in light of the PT in seeing the innocent boy who acted kind of strange around girls fall from grace by giving in to emotions that are notorious for putting a haze of deception around any truth) it does little or nothing as far as affecting the characters. The only two really effected were Luke and Leia which is perfectly fine seeing that they are the main elements in the OT, but I don?t think that Anakin?s death was sufficient in putting things into perspective and reminding the Rebellion as a whole what it was they were fighting to end; and how much they had already sacrificed to give up now. It worked for the Matrix: Revolutions and while I may not like an ending as dark as that one happen to be I believe something could be taken from it.

18. -Ace-

-Ace- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2002
    I would have used the wookie idea. The Ewoks were to family friendly for me.

I also would have appeased Harrison Ford and put a lot more physical action for Han Solo, like beating the crap out of some stormtroopers.

19. JEDI_MASTER_MARIANA

JEDI_MASTER_MARIANA Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 30, 2003
    Well I liked the movie but if you insist:

Here are some of the things that I would have change:

-The Ewoks would not be anywhere in the movie.
    -Lando would die.(I don't like him)
    -Han would stay frozen in carbonite.(I also don't like him.)
    -Darth Vader and Luke would have destroy the Emperor.
    -Darth Vader never died.
    -Darth Vader got healed and didn't need the suit.
    -Luke joined him.
    -Luke and Mara got together.
    -Leia would also have joined them and forgave Darth Vader.
    -The Empire would haved lived on.
    -The galaxy would have been ruled my the Skywalkers!

Well there you have it! What I would have change in RTOJ.

THE DARK SIDE IS STRONG IN ME!

[face_devil] SITH_LORD_MARIANA [face_devil]

20. Pabst_Blue_Yoda

Pabst_Blue_Yoda Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2002
    I would change the following...

1. Destroy all MUPPETS!

2. Reconfigure the OT so that Slave Leia is in every scene --- I mean every scene, even the scenes in ESB where Vader is talking to the Emperor.

3. The audience and Luke finds out that the entire OT and PT is a device implemented by Obi-Wan as a practical joke played on Luke... This would be killer, a practical joke that takes thirty years to set up, started even before the victim's birth, the destruction of the Jedi Order, the annihilation of uncounted planets, the unrivaled collateral damage performed on an unsuspecting galaxy. And Kenobi dioesn't even know that Anakin is having children or not...

Whoa... I don't think I can beat that so with that I will post this...

21. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    I would have ended the Saga with ROTJ, but Lucas chose to continue it. :(

22. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    I would keep it the way it is now.

23. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    After the Death Star has been vaped, elements of the Imperial fleet will momentarily cease all fire directed at the Rebel fleet. They will then turn their guns on the forest moon of Endor and blast any, and all Ewok villages, before returning to the Rebel threat.

Or just have the DS survive long enough to carry out Jerjerrod's order to destroy Endor (as in the novelization). I guess there's the minor problem that Leia and everyone was still down there, but maybe they could get off-planet somehow. Or maybe they'd just be heroic casualties of war. :D

24. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    I would have ended the Saga with ROTJ, but Lucas chose to continue it.

You refer to the prophecy of the one that would bring unbalance to the Force. And you believe it's the post RETURN OF THE JEDI EU?

8-}

Or do you believe it's the Prequels?

25. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I would have ended the Saga with ROTJ, but Lucas chose to continue it.

I totally agree with you.

Now, to answer the original question to this thread, I'll have to say that there's nothing wrong with it and it should stay the way it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.