main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation How Would You Have Luke Die?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by EviL_eLF, Nov 2, 2012.

1. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I hope you guys are right.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  2. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Luke, Leia, and Han all die in a crash.

I doubt they would die. I'm sure Lucas has a say in it. :p

3. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    Three boids with one stone.

GGrievous likes this.
  4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The thing I'm more worried about losing is all the symbolic imagery Lucas weaves throughout the films. Everytime I watch the films I see something new and I just appreciate even more how Lucas tells the story not only through the actions of the characters but through the visuals of every scene. I don't know if Abrams can match that but I certainly hope he's up to the task.

5. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    Exactly.

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The symbolism of the first 6 movies was amazing. The duels in ROTJ and ROTS with Anakin and Dooku and Luke and Vader with Palpatine watching on is amazing. The Binary sunset in ROTS and ANH was well done as well. Hope we see some nods to the past but vary it up a bit.

7. klooney

klooney Jedi Master star 1

Jul 2, 2009
    I vote for Trash Compactor not stopped in time.

8. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    I vote for:

He dies prior to Ep 7, though we don't find out how nor by whom till Ep 8. In Ep 7 he will be Grand Master Jedi Leia's Force Ghost/Guide. It would be poetic given that the last time we saw Luke, he was looking over at his own Force Ghost guides with fondness as they looked back in a "Now, you're one of us" way; so the next time we see him in Ep 7, he will be "one of them" again but in another way that is both literal and symbolic.

As with RoTS to ANH where we see Luke/Obi-Wan hood-upped/twin-suns, Vader looking out into space through a giant window, the Tantive IV visual, Dagobah...there will be similar moments of symbolic familiarity. I can totally picture one of these moments to be an older Leia stepping outside, or having just taught/trained/spoken with some Padawans or even just exiting a Council meeting for some fresh air outside to find Force Ghost Luke leaning against a tree ready to spout off some reassurances.

Luke already went up against the Emperor/Vader and the audience has already seen Luke in action. There's no topping that for his character, whom has already gotten his character arc's closure - there wouldn't really be much new ground to be broken narratively by showing Luke in yet another battle to the death, even if it were to mirror Obi-Wan's sacrifice. That said, having Leia be the character igniting a light saber, dueling the antagonist(s), avenging Luke though in a not-giving-into hate/feelings way while intercut with Han and the Falcon going out in a blaze of glory to sacrificing themselves so that the new generation of protagonists have the torch properly passed on is completely new ground. It serves a purpose narratively and ties into the motivations of our new heroes, honors and allows the OT protagonists a graceful and badass exit, and lets us see two major things that are sure to pull at viewer's emotions, though for different reasons: a Leia with Jedi skills and the return of old friends in the form of Han and the Falcon going on one last mission. Everyone here and everyone involved with the production knows how emotionally attached the viewer is to that ship and seeing it destroyed/sacrificed as a shared experience with the new protagonists will bond the audience to embrace them and their story going into the ST. No writer, filmmaker, nor storyteller of any kind will pass up the opportunity of that scene/event.

9. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    In order to get a little idea of how they would die, we need to figure out one thing: What the actors contracts? If they're signed on for all 3 films then there's a higher chance they'll die peacefully and happily, but only 1 film *which I kinda want cause I dont want to see the OT cast being dragged around for 3 films stealing the attention away from the new cast* then there's a higher chance they'll die in battle. Am I making sense?

10. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I probably shouldn't say anything without quoting a source (I know it's out there, but I don't have it at the ready), but I'm pretty sure Vader's blade never even touched Obi-Wan. I guess you can say Ben met his fate at the hand of the Sith (from a certain p.o.v.), but I don't think it's entirely accurate to say Kenobi was "killed."

Now, just so that I'm not completely off-topic, allow me to reiterate my wish for Luke to survive the ST and choosing to live alone, in contemplation of the will of the Force. I need that one last scene with Luke pulling up his hood and walking off into Tatooine's binary sunset.

Count Yubnub had what I thought was an interesting idea: Have Luke Skywalker, the kid who couldn't wait to get away from his home and seek adventure, retire to a moisture farm on Tatooine with the realization that the planet "farthest from" is the one place he has finally found peace.

TigerCraneFist just may have written my favorite "death" for Luke Skywalker that I've come across yet. Well done, sir. If Luke has to go, wouldn't this be a wonderful way? I think so.

One of my biggest reasons (other than my admitted attachment to the character) for supporting the idea of not seeing Luke 'meet his destiny' in the ST - or anywhere else, for that matter - is that the character of Luke Skywalker has always served as Star Wars' version of the 'everyman.' He is the ultimate embodiment of we, the audience and as such, he is the perfect vehicle for audience participation in the story. If there is ever going to be a Star Wars character whose ultimate fate we should be able to write for ourselves, it's Luke.

T-R- likes this.
  11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    You can't kill Luke though. That would just make him mad.

12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Thank you ^^
    I would like for Luke to die, you know, happy in a way - choosing when to go, peacefully. He deserves it. Also, I think this would be a powerful end to the Skywalker saga, and would have everyone in tears.

TreborSabreon and kataja like this.
  13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    About the Luke disappearing with the Binary Sunset in the background thing that should happen because Luke's adventure started right after that scene in ANH. Why not end it the same way it began?

14. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Stabbed in the back by a Dark Jedi.

15. Darth slaughter

Darth slaughter Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 22, 2013
    Assassinated by an ewok bounty hunter

16. Darth slaughter

Darth slaughter Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 22, 2013
    Actually seriously, I think luke should die fighting some sort of nemesis.... It will add weight then to how powerful and evil this nemesis is when you consider luke got the better of vader..... And I guess although Luke is older now, he is more powerful in the force maybe even more powerful than master yoda was.

17. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I've read a few folks aying something similar, but I have to disagree. It's just that, for me, if it absolutely must come, the death of Luke Skywalker, of all SW characters, should be done for it's own reasons and not in service of another character. That's not to say that the killing of one character to serve the story of another cannot be handled well and used to the benefit of the story. Quite the contrary, it happens all of the time (and to fine effect), but again, I think that if there's any SW character who's ultimate fate should stand on its own merits, it's Luke.

18. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Maybe a combination of the "In battle" and "peacefully". How about this:
    During the climatic battle *of episode 7*, Luke faces off with the main villain and is critically wounded but isn't killed. The new hero saves him and the two *or more depending on who else is there* retreat on the Milennium falcon and head to Tattoine. Luke was wounded beyond repair and is slowly dying. We then have a heart-felt scene between Luke and the new hero where Luke says he's proud of him, will always be with him *ect ect* but doesn't want to die on a bed hooked up to machines. The new hero then helps Luke out of the room and outside just as the twin suns are setting. Our last shot of Luke is him looking at the twin suns setting and he then disappears*dying* and is now one with the force. Our new hero now has a new found motivation to get revenge/justice for Luke's death but at least has the knowledge of knowing Luke is now with the force *and we'll see him as a force ghost in 8-9*. Roll credits.

19. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    I think I am just too attached to Luke to see him go any way but peacefully. The most I can tolerate is a situation where Luke uses some power to save the group, but it completely exhausts him. He is then unable to take part in the final battle, which requires the new hero to face the villain and defeat him. After the battle, Luke dies peacefully, mostly due to old age and the will of the Force.

20. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    I agree with some of that. The whole letting Luke sit out of the main battle to keep the battle focused on the new cast because the sequel trilogy is most likely THEIR movie...not the OTs movie *the original trilogy is theirs*

DARTHSHAME likes this.
  21. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003
    Right, the new hero has to be the one to win the day.

22. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Exactly. The new trilogy should be about the NEW characters. I dont want to see the ST be more interested in trying to turn it into an original trilogy reunion party that it forgets who the movie logically should be about. Its kinda like making a Batman movie but instead of focusing on batman, you're focusing all on the Joker or Comminsoner Gordon because...why not fans like them *wait....nevermind they actually did that*. Uhh whatever you get the point making a movie that SHOULD be focusing on the main but instead focuses on a bunch of fan faves because fans WANT it but dont actually need it.

23. Khalil O.

Khalil O. Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 9, 2013
    *covers ears* La la la can't hear you

.... but, seriously, if Luke had to *gulp* be "removed", I would have it happen similar to how Bruce Wayne "died" in The Dark Knight Rises: doing something profound and meaningful in behalf of others.

Somehow, I have a feeling that Luke will end up being betrayed by someone close to him, and that "someone" will be the person that ... well, you know ... similar to how Brutus betrayed Julius Caesar.

24. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003
    That being said, The Dark Knight Rises left a lot to be desired. I do not plan to watch that movie again.

25. Blip

Blip Jedi Master star 1

Feb 5, 2004
    I agree Luke should go peacefully. I want Han and Leia to go out in a massive explosion of firey doom though - preferably of their own volition/making (and after uttering the well known "I love you" dialogue). Part of the reason being that Ford will finally get to have Han killed off the way he wanted in RotJ. :)