main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How would you improve the prequels?

Discussion in 'Archive: Greenville, SC' started by HolidaySpecial, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HolidaySpecial

HolidaySpecial Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2003
    We've probably all done it before; nitpicked our way through a movie, and never has that been more true than with the Star Wars films. We critique because we love, and while I love the dual trilogies, the first two installments in the prequels have their problems, to say the least.

I actually really love Episode II and wouldn't change much, and I'll avoid a fanboy rant against Episode I. My problems with the first film mostly have to due with directing, pacing, dialouge and acting. The movie was just lacking....something. Story wise there's just a few adjustments:

-First of all, have C3PO take the place of TC-14 at the beginning of the film. It's not improbable that a ten year old slave child could build an android, but really, how bad could your life be if you had a life-size transformer around the house? 3PO would be a presence throughtout the film and, at the end, would be left behind on Naboo and offer his services to Queen Amidala.

-Up Darth Maul's role considerably and relegate Darth Sidious's appearances to a sole hologram scene, akin to Empire Strikes Back.

-Keep Jar Jar on Naboo. After the storming of the Palace, Jar Jar would return to the swamp, and the cast would seek out his help later upon returning to Naboo. Jar Jar hating aside, he took away from Obi-Wan's screentime.

-When Padme & co. are examing the holographic blueprints to the palace, explain the power generator/force fields. We know what they are, but the average filmgoer was confused as all get-out. Maybe the Jedi would have planned ahead to take out the power generator, thus knocking out the electricity in the palace. Padme would get around through secret passages only she would know about, thus avoiding droids bearing gifts.

-This wouldn't be necessary but I would have preffered it this way. Have Qui-Gon be in league with Darth Sidious (though this wouldn't be revealed until Episode II). He would know about Anakin beforehand and he would be the one to choose Tatootine as their destination, not Obi-Wan. At the end of the movie he would "die" the same way, but fall down the well that Darth Maul does. In Episode II he would return as Count Dooku (replacing Cristopher Lee).

I felt there wasn't enough of a personal connection to the villain in Episode II, even if Tyrranus had been Qui-Gon's master. Aside from that I'd leave Episode II alone, except for a few edits for pacings sake and maybe some acting lessons for Hayden Cristenson. I love the guy, but he came across as really stiff in some scenes.

I know, I know, who am I to judge? If I can do better, then why don't I go out and make my own movie? Maybe some day, but right now I'm just saying not every movie is flawless.

2. Darth_Yalc

Darth_Yalc Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 23, 2002
    Hmmm....interesting thread. Let's see, I will tackle these kinda like you did one at a time.

First I would not change much from EpII. But I would like to have seen a little continuity with the EU. I didn't like the fact that Boba was a Clone. It would have been cooler to see the Mandalorian Commandos fighting the Jedi, in the arena perhaps, and seen their demise. I didn't like Tyranus either. Wasn't as believeable for me as say a younger jedi turning to the darkside. The acting and all was fine with me. Its supposed to be that way(cheesy)....I think. Seems like it was in the other movies were as well.

As for EpI: The problems I saw with it was like this. Too much young Anakin. To me to get the whole story out we needed to see adolescent Anakin more than we have. Maybe they could have found him older or something...anyway I think they wasted 2 hours of film time that could have used otherwise. That being said, I am a huge fan of EpI. I thought it was great. Maybe the prequels should have been four movies instead of three. Jar Jar didn't bother me nor did Anakin making 3PO.

I'm pressed for time now. I hope this was coherant and I will put more thoughts up later.

3. SithLord328

SithLord328 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 2002
    Have more battles with the Jedi! :D

Ok maybe i'm just being greedy. The only thing I would change is Anakin's age. I would make him older. And maybe have the Jedi in the end battle with the Gungans in Ep 1, but it might have made Ep. 2's battle less special. Oh, and I would have Jango to live to Ep. 3 so that Anakin/Darth could save his life, thus having Boba his Right Hand Bounty Hunter that we see in the OT.

I might have some more thoughts up later, when i'm not as tired. ;)

4. DarthBrett

DarthBrett Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 2, 2002
    Well, I'm pretty much in agreement with some of the earlier posts, particularly regarding Anakin's age--I believe he should have been older, if only to allow for more character development. The Anakin we come to truly know, meaning the adolescent one that falls to the dark side, we only see for about one movie (episode II), and only most of episode III. That being said, the 2 and a half hours of Episode I weren't really necessary. I feel as though Anakin should have started out 16 or 17 years old, to parallel Luke in the OT. This way, the romance with Padme is more developed and believable. I also believe the Republic and the trade controversies should have been more clear, as we could have truly got a sense of the impending doom of the republic. Also, the poster villians: Darth Maul and Jango Fett. I feel both of these should have made it through at least one movie. I realize Maul's demise is necessary, as Tyrannus starts the clone wars (maybe they could have introduced him in Episode I as foreshadowing?) The only other complaints I really have about the PT may be resolved in the next one: I really want Anakin to prove he's the great starfighter obi-wan makes him out to be.

5. PantherPower

PantherPower Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2003
    I would leave episode 2 alone but episode 1 should be changed by the jedis kicking some sith butt and destroy Maul by using a force attack and use all the force powers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.