main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series How would you like general grievous portrayed

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by MaulLover1313, Feb 22, 2014.

1. MaulLover1313

MaulLover1313 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2014
    I heard that some people are angry on how general grievous was portrayed in the show. How would you have liked him portrayed.

2. MaulLover1313

Jan 30, 2014
    Anybody? Anybody at all? I really thought this one would be more popular than this. What gives? Can somebody please answer?

3. ColemanKcajFTW

ColemanKcajFTW Jedi Master star 1

Jan 14, 2014
    Ahem

Personally, I would've welcomed some actual victories over the main protagonists during his atrocious run in S1, or at least give him a few victories to balance out his losses. I'm basically rehashing what much smarter people on this forum have said, but the show seems to be giving the impression that Grievous isn't that much of a threat, which would make the Jedi's concern of sending an "experienced" Jedi Master unneeded during RotS.

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I did not have a problem with grevious in the show but I do know some people thought he was not powerful like he was in the first clone wars series.

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I see your point there and I do agree he needed to win more.

6. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    Not sure. Always hated the character (pointless even in existence) so I was happy I saw so few scenes with/about him.

7. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Grevious was better in the micro series and the LOE novel. In ROTS and in TCW he was corny if you ask me.

8. Darth Maul Apprentice

Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2014
    It's because of the way he was written. You've provided examples for this.

9. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I'd like him portrayed exactly how he was in TCW. Maybe he could've been more powerful, otherwise I thought he was great.

10. Josh Mekola

Josh Mekola Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2014
    I think he could do without the whole getting his backside getting handed to him by Gungans, I always imagined he would've gone like Boromir from LOTR in that sense where he gets speared multiple times while killing all his opponents (save for Jar Jar and Padme in this case). I would've also loved for him to have killed off Eeth Koth, seeing how we never see him do anything anymore. He should have also been the one to kill off Adi Gallia instead of Savage, it still would've been continuity that Grievous killed her, just not on Boz Pity. I also would've loved to see him engage Plo Koon in a duel, that would've been cool. Or as a homage to the micro series, he could duel Shaak Ti and possibly the other two Jedi from the micro series.

11. SeparatistFan

SeparatistFan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2012
    He didn't need to be as powerful as he was in the micro series, but he still should have been able to beat Jedi in light saber combat, it sucks that he was never shown to beat even a Padawan in this way. He was too incompetent in TCW, even when he killed Nahdar, he didn't manage to keep his light saber for long as a trophy. It's also a shame that his tragic back story from the EU wasn't used. Separatists were portrayed as power craving minions too often, we needed more Separatist villains with more interesting motives. Even Dooku was portrayed as just a power craving minion most of the time.

12. Battledroid796

Battledroid796 Jedi Youngling

Feb 21, 2014
    He needs to be actually tough instead of a coughing coward. He only killed one Jedi in the show which I think should be better.

13. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I didn't think he was actually frightening enough... both in TCW and in ROTS. I thought he was actually much scarier in the original Clone Wars cartoon. I always thought Gary Oldman's voice would have made him much more menacing.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  14. Jabba_The_Hutt_123

Jabba_The_Hutt_123 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 29, 2003
    For starters he should never have faced Obi Wan in single combat, makes sending Obi Wan after him pointless as he's always failed before.
    I don't think he should have been as great as he was in the micro series, he doesn't have the force, just the advantage of cybernetics but he should have killed at least some knights and padawans, rather than 1 in season 1.

He should have won most of his battles, he's meant to be the top guy militarily in the CIS and feared throughout the Republic, but he lost what, 4 or 5 times at least in the first 10 episodes of season 1? He was good in Grievous Intrigue, using his guards to weaken Koth, planning for the rescue attempt, but he should have won the battle. Running away is smart, but he shouldn't rely on just fleeing. I think in a way he should have made up for the weakness of droids against clones, the lack of creativity and skills, but no he just nearly always lost.

Was there even an episode where he virtually completely won? The one with Ahsoka and Hondo is I guess a win but against pirates and younglings, not a great achievement.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Early in the series, I thought Grievous would kill Ahsoka. I thought she would face him alone again, thinking that she could succeed as she did in season one, and her overconfidence would be her weakness.

But...by season 3, due to both of heir portrayals, she would have kicked his ass in about two seconds.

I wish Grievous had been portrayed more as he was in the micro series. In ROTS, although he did run off in an escape pod after doing nothing but huffing and puffing when Anakin insulted him, he was still a bigger threat than he was in TCW.

16. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    It ends with Hondo (I think?), Ahsoka and the younglings escaping and Grievous laughing moronically while being blasted by Slave I.

Great quotes from Dark Lord Tarkas

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...hread-spoilers.28968284/page-37#post-50241964

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  17. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    CW GG is the best.

18. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I don't think he should have been on the front lines as much as he was, only to run away. I mean, even in ROTS when he does go to capture Palpatine, his ship is screened by many, many battleships and frigates, with all of Obi-Wan and Anakin's wingmen getting shot down.

Rather than the Jedi fighting him for the umpteenth time, I would liked to see the character used less frequently in that regard. More of a character you hear about, but don't really see. Perhaps cutting off hyperspace routes and ravaging Republic world's while the Jedi can't break through the defensive lines to stop him. Or dropping out of hyperspace to lay waste to Republic territories with blitzkrieg strikes, but then getting out of the system before Republic reinforcements arrive. Which would keep with the idea that the Jedi think "he's a coward," but in no way makes him incompetent, since he is successfully raiding Republic world's with the Republic unable to do anything about it.

And then for those times when the Jedi do catch up to him and engage him, he should have been more of a threat. A guy that's incredibly hard to get to, but once breaking through the enemy lines and reaching him, the Republic forces are no longer in any kind of fighting shape to put up a strong resistance to him.

I would have downplayed him as a guy that likes to be on the front lines and test his skills against Jedi, while emphasizing his tactical brilliance in fleet maneuvers and battle strategies (something he was devoid of in TCW).

19. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012

This, is how he should be portrayed, I mean he only killed one Jedi in TCW and it was using the blaster to ambush.

20. MaulLover1313

Jan 30, 2014
    Grievous was beaten by Gungans for heaven's sake! He should be better than this!

21. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I really don't see a difference in any of the depictions, because he wasn't perfect in any of them, anyway.

22. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    His appearance in the microseries seems just like Mace's in the same series, or pretty much any of the action sequences. Blown out of proportion for the sake of entertainment, just like TFU.

I mean, to translate those events into canon exactly as they happened, would mean that Mace Windu should have won the Battle of Geonosis barehanded and alone, and that Grievous is a better swordsman than Palpatine.

I could have accepted Grievous being a skilled swordsman, because even Vizsla went toe-to-toe with Maul and did respectably. But he shouldn't have been the take-on-six-Jedi (or however many there were)-and-win kind of combatant.

23. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    (here I go again)
    People have said everything that I would have said on his combat prowess. The way TCW rendered it, with goofy saber spinning, was so non-threatening.
    Grievous doing everyday things would have been welcome. I would assume he has some kind of daily life.
    I would have liked a scene where he takes in intelligence on planets about to be taken. Some holographic slides pop up and he manipulates them via touchscreen and they tell him about the history of the planet, along with its demographics and other notable features.
    Grievous coming out of the shower. Grievous waking up in the morning and having to deal with other Separatists. Grievous attending a diplomatic banquet and being unable to eat anything. Grievous in the rose garden outside Dooku's palace.

24. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    I was quite satisfied how Grievous was portrayed in TCW, it is the way he is portrayed in ROTS too.

25. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I love him as a Snidely Whiplash.