main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation How Would You Like The Anthologies and Shows to Fit in With The Saga?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Dukeleto69, Jan 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dukeleto69

Dukeleto69 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2017
    So at present it looks as though we have:

TPM
    AOTC
    Clone Wars TV
    ROTS
    Solo
    Rebels TV
    Rogue One
    ANH
    TESB
    ROTJ
    TFA
    TLJ
    IX

Personally I would like to see the anthology films flesh out the gaps between the Saga trilogies. So once the ST is finished the anthology films start to focus on stories set between ROTJ and TFA.

Be good to also get a TV series like Rebels in that era too - I think doing this would allow them to include Luke/Leia/Han (not necessarily as lead characters but background) as animation removes the obvious problems. Personally think it would be cool to cover the events in Aftermath trilogy.

Is this what others want or do you, for example, want the Ryan Johnson trilogy to be set after ST?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  2. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I want the cartoons to cease completely for starters... Not because I hate them, but because with so many films I don't want the idea well to dry up :cool:

The OT era is my favourite by a long shot but for the same reason as above I would like to see them jump around the timeline a bit more. From TPM - TLJ you have approximately 70 years to play around with. I like the RO idea best with new characters and established ones in background supporting roles more than central e.g. Tarkin, Vader etc

If they are going to do individual films like Solo, Kenobi etc (because they need new actors from the originals AG, HF) they need to be far enough apart that it isn't jarring...Solo and the new Kenobi will be on dangerous ground in this area. A Luke film (with Sebastian Stan bearded up) set between ROTJ and TFA would be a good example of new actor with enough time to accept the changed look...although the flashback to him and Ben in TLJ would screw this up a little.

As for the RJ trilogy I have no ideas...yet. I have plenty for the Anthology films though :cool: I would like to see the final battle on Jakku as a film like RO where the main guys are new guys with some supporting OT characters. I would like to see a Boba Fett film BUT with him as the villain and a good guy as the lead (a brand new character) I would like to see a Vader stand alone set just after the DS blows up and he lands on Yavin...but once again with this one he would have to be the villain and the good guys would be brand new characters sent to eliminate him as he makes his way back to Coruscant...?? Haha

I also think they should steer clear of films based around main characters that wouldn't be able to carry a film on their own...Yoda for example.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  3. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    I think an animated series is the best option for post-RotJ/pre-TFA stories about Luke, Leia, Han, Lando, etc. It doesn’t seem like anything major enough happened to justify a movie during that time, but it does seem like plenty of interesting stuff went on that could fill up a multi-season TV show.

I hope RJ’s new trilogy is very far removed from anything we’ve seen. As fresh as possible with all new characters and a conflict we’ve never heard about.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Me too, honestly. I don't hate TCW or Rebels, but I did get tired of them quite a while ago. I just don't feel like they really have any "meat" to them or add anything significant.

Agreed with this as well. I don't really know when it would be placed, but they've indicated they intend for it to be all new in terms of setting, characters, etc. Incidentally, fans predicting something based on EU / Legends are probably way off, IMO, because those are not likely to be made canon again by this new trilogy, AND because that would go against the "all new" goal either way.

5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    This is what I'd like to see a few years down the road...

Really Really Old Republic Era

SW live action show

Old Republic Era

TPM
    AOTC
    TCW
    ROTS

Imperial Era

Solo
    Kenobi
    Rebels
    RO
    ANH
    ESB
    ROTJ

New Republic/First Order Era

Han, Luke and Leia animated series
    Poe Dameron spinoff
    TFA
    TLJ
    Animated series
    IX

Far Far Future Saga

Rian Johnson Trilogy
    Sequel Trilogy to Rian Johnson trilogy
    Sequel Sequel Trilogy to Rian Johnson trilogy

6. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    Since the first three anthology films (R1, Solo, Kenobi) act as sort of a bridge between the PT and the OT, I would like the next three to act as a bridge between the OT and the ST. Some ideas I have for them are:
    • Boba Fett. Have the cold open be him escaping the Sarlaac, cue title, and dovetail into whatever the main plot of the film is.
    • A film about the main characters of the OT. If Solo is successful and the Han and Lando recasts are well-received, I can see them going even further and recasting Luke and Leia as well for a film about, say, the OT heroes going on one last big mission together.
    • The rise of the First Order. Would cover a very broad period of time starting after the Imperial remnants retreat into the Unknown Regions to when the FO finally reveals itself, with some Game of Thrones-style political maneuvering and backstabbing in between.

7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    So, from the RRORE all the way to the SSTRJT. :p

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Yes, followed soon by the Christopher Nolan Saga in The Even Further Future After the Rian Johnson Trilogy or CNSITEFFATRJT.

EHT likes this.
  9. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Gotta say an absolute no to any live action recast stuff between the OT and ST. Young Solo is pushing it, but live action Luke starting off as Mark, turning into another dude, and then going back to Mark? Nope. Now, in animation? Well, sure, as long as they can find a super talented voice actor who's got lots of animation VA experience and is good at portraying the primary lead. I could suggest a guy, but I suspect they may already be on it.

Jedi of Baker Street likes this.
  10. Dukeleto69

Dec 27, 2017
    Thanks for responses so far. Some great ideas.

I too would prefer a live action TV series to animation but that brings budget and casting challenges.

Regarding anthology films I love the idea of filling in some of the gap:

PT -> OT
    OT -> ST

However, I would prefer them to steer clear of Saga characters as it makes the universe feel small. Rogue One was a good approach. I totally understand why they are doing Solo from a commercial POV but from a creative POV I don't like it (recasting being a particular issue).

Similarly anthology films between OT and ST would be great to show rise of FO etc (and as per above maybe the Aftermath trilogy story to show final fall of Empire) but avoid Luke/Leia/Han due to recasting issues.

11. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    As KK has implicitly said that this will never happen then you can rest easy.

Dukeleto69 likes this.
  12. Dukeleto69

Dec 27, 2017
    Phew that is good news!

13. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I don't really see the point in post RotJ content. Everything released so far has basically just been "Empire vs Rebels". Even the ST is basically just Empire vs Rebels. If I want to watch Empire vs Rebels, I'd rather it be during the OT era.

I'd rather have Pre-TPM or Post TPM/Pre-AotC movies.

14. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I'd second this part. Not a fan of the animated series myself (Dislike the CGI style used for the bulk of the Clone Wars and Rebels), but if Kenobi goes into production I would like that to dove tail in the original Star Wars (as Rogue One pretty well.) Why the heck they haven't done a classic Disney cell style animated short film or something is beyond me. May as well exploit that.

As far as the rest, after Kenobi, I'd like to see anthologies or stand alone films in different eras if the characters and story look compelling. Simply want in universe characters and material.

15. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    There's this guy Mark Hamill who is a super talented voice actor who has lots of VA experience and is good at portraying the primary lead. :D

JorakUln likes this.
  16. Asajj Ventress

Asajj Ventress Jedi Padawan

Jan 3, 2018
    :confused: @ you guys saying no more TV shows. Some of us really like them. Some of us like them more than the movies... and while you may think they add nothing substantial, they do wonders for world-building and the lore of Star Wars. All those aliens who are rarely and occasionally background characters in the films? A lot of them are fleshed out via the cartoons (ie: togruta, zabraks) - and that reaches a wider audience than no-longer canon comics. If you don't want to watch them, don't, but let those of us who love them, love them, and wish for more. I'm not going to make a case for loving the shows, because if they're not your thing then they're just not, but my favorite characters in Star Wars come from them; they certainly add something "substantial" for me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I didn't care about the movies at all until I started watching Clone Wars and then got into the movies afterward to understand it. There's no wrong way to be a fan. That's like saying "no more shows! books! comics! no video games! Only films!" Totally reject the notion that you're not a "true fan" unless you only like the movies. Let's celebrate that Star Wars reaches so many mediums and a wide audience and hope for more content, not less. Maybe "make the shows better and more connected" instead of "no more shows at all?"

I, for one would like to see more relationship between the movies and the shows (the shows seem to just respond to the movies but I'd love to see the other way around... even just mentioning a character from the shows in a future movie? Tons of fanservice.) My #1 request is an Ahsoka solo film. (would add way more to SW than a Han one, but that's just me...) Or at least a mention of Ahsoka somewhere in the future films.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  17. JorakUln

JorakUln Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 23, 2005
    I think a mention is enough, or an animated film perhaps.

I don't want to see anyone else playing Ahsoka other than Ashley Eckstein. She's earned the right to have exclusive portrayal over the character.

18. Asajj Ventress

Asajj Ventress Jedi Padawan

Jan 3, 2018
    How? Maybe the animated version, but a different actress could play her in a live action. Rosario Dawson expressed interest. I think she would be fantastic.

19. JorakUln

JorakUln Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 23, 2005
    Just doesn't feel right. Ashley has played Ahsoka for over 10 years now. And I love Rosario Dawson.

But realistically if it had to happen then sure.

20. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Side note: At the risk of repeating myself I, (and many others) initially viewed the anthology films as the non-Skywalker films but now as the mainline films are moving away from the Skywalkers it seems like the anthology films are going to be the Star Wars films that will deal with characters and storylines that interest with the Skywalker family. Funny how they're flip flopping that.

Seems to make sense. We've got the anthology films to tap into people's nostalgia for the OT and the mainline films to give us something newer.

21. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Set between 3 and 4 is the richest era really, because of the amount of familiar characters you can play with that have appeared in the 6 movies and clone wars/rebels

I think setting a story between 4 and 5 or 5 and 6 could work but only to a certain degree and the only character i could see working well for that currently is luke skywalker.

Set between 1 and 2 or 2 and 3 i think we got the best of that in the clone wars show.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  22. jimtalkbox

jimtalkbox Jedi Master star 1

Dec 22, 2015
    I just want them to expand on what we know (or what we think we know). That was my hope for the ST, but no such luck. A little further down the line if they want to introduce completely new things, more power to them.

23. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    I definitely want a lot more content between ROTJ and TFA. We really need it to make sense of that gap and what happens with the story. I also wish they would stop mining that period for flashbacks in the ST, because they are boxing themselves into corners for whenever they do provide content for the ROTJ-TFA gap period.

24. Gen Rendar

Gen Rendar Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    I am sure Disney/Lucasfilm would like nothing more than to make Star Wars movies till the end of time, but I feel if they are not careful, they will soon discover diminishing returns from milking the brand. I feel like before any anthology is created, a set of questions should be asked:
    • How does this further the saga?
    • Is the story worthy of a movie?
    • Would it work better as a Television show?
    • Does it fit in and help promote the other Star Wars related media currently being produced?
    To keep the brand healthy, I strongly feel they need to be very careful how they move forward. To use an example, let's take Rogue One. The Force Awakens had recently come out; it should be the primary focus of the Star Wars media being produced for now. However, something like Rogue One could have fit into the saga much better with a few changes. Imagine if it had been part of a live action TV series. You have a lot of characters and a lot of time to develop their story. The story they wanted to tell in Rogue One simply would have worked better as a 6 Episode Mini-series than as a single Movie.

In addition, you have to take into account, what do casual movie-goers understand about this movie in relation to Episode VII? The movie really does very little if anything to add to the overall brand hype leading to Episode VIII, other than the fact it is Star Wars. Now imagine if something in Rogue One would have informed the audience about something in Episode VIII. What if we learned more about Lor San Tekka, the Knights of Ren, even Hux's father as an imperial or Rey's parents? That would have made it a great companion piece to lead into and build up Episode VIII.

The last thing they should want is for the Universe to get watered down and each movie to feel like "just another Star Wars movie;" each movie should feel like an event. That is a big part of the appeal of the brand for casual movie goers. A lot of people have fond memories of watching the OT or even the Prequels for the first time. I don't hear people expressing those same memories about say Iron Man 2 or Thor.

I don't think we really need a ton of Anthology films to be honest. The films should be important landmarks of the franchise. I think high-quality television is actually the way to go if they want to tell "smaller stories." You could still have actual Anthology movies, but have them be more related to what is going on currently. I think after Episode IX, they could easily do a spin-off type film with Poe and Finn continuing their stories.

Eventually we could go back and do Movie trilogies set in the far past, but I think they should make the most of the current era and use that as more of a new soft reboot style event 15 or 20 so years down the road.

25. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    First of all everything has to fit without being contradictory in any way to whats gone before.

As for eras to look at, I was a big fan of Empire of the Sun, so I'd love to see something different set between Empire and Jedi. Also stories set between the original and Empire too. Maybe something featuring Vader too following ROTS too. If Solo works out well then the world is their oyster in terms of recasting the big characters for future films.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.