main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How would you make the Dooku duel better?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by BillBrasky, Apr 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BillBrasky

BillBrasky Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 21, 2004
    I was on T-bones site, and he had the description of the entire Dooku duelit was awesome. If this version of the deul would have been in the film, it possibly could have saved it.

Besides making the duel what it should be, I would put a part in where Anakin and Obi Wan realize that they are outmatched by Dooku, and make somekind of death pact that they will both die here together. Then Yoda would show up and save the day.

This scene would really build Anakin and Obi Wan's friendship alot better than all the other scenes did.

2. One-with-the-Force

One-with-the-Force Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    They could have had Dooku actually duel both Obi-Wan and Anakin at the same time and still beat them, showing his skills as a duelist. The small 1 on 1 battles got a bit repetitive.

3. fcz1

fcz1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2002
    More Anakin with two lightsabres. Plain and simple.

4. Philagape

Philagape Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2005
    Get someone other than an 80-year-old actor to play Dooku

5. michaelbacca

michaelbacca Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2005
    Show the lightsaber battle. Half the time they showed the lightsabers flashing in front of the actors faces and didn't really show the battle.

6. mrfootball

mrfootball Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 14, 2005
    "Get someone other than an 80-year-old actor to play Dooku"

My thoughts exactly. Bring back Ray Park!!!!

7. Lord_Morningstar

Lord_Morningstar Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2005
    Personally, I can't imagine anyone other than Christopher Lee in the role of Dooku. I think the duels could be improved by making them longer, but I love Dooku's fighting style.

8. Harabec

Harabec Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2001
    Restore all of the cut footage regarding Dooku/Obi-Wan, Anakin with two sabers and the green saber, and Dooku with two sabers. It really would have made for a more satisfying duel.

9. NeimoidianReport

NeimoidianReport Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 7, 2004
    The most obvious way? Make it longer. Beyond that, the choreography and filming needs work. Obi and him fight for what, two seconds, and he Dooku finds him disappointing. Show, don't tell. Build up to that and show Dooku toying with Obi a bit; don't just have them clang sabers randomly and then slightly singe Obi.

Also, have more conversation. This should be an emotionally charged scene, what with a traitorous Jedi, Qui-Gon's master no less, essentially declaring war on the Jedi and the Republic. I think there is probably quite a bit both Annie and Obi want to say at this point.

Finally, have Dooku actually defeat Annie in a reasonable manner. Having Annie stop fighting altogether, stick out both arms like he is trying to give Dooku a big grandpa hug, and stand there waiting to be chopped is the absolute bollocks. Watch it closely, and you'll see just how funny this whole exchange is...

10. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    by not having Yoda go crazy and jumping around like some madman.

11. deanparkr

deanparkr Jedi Youngling

Apr 5, 2005
    Agreed.

12. PloKoons_Apprentice

PloKoons_Apprentice Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2005
    i would would have useda different jedi. like if you switched mace and yoda's scenes that woiuld be preety kewl and make dooku loose a limb or two and get saved by droidakas or grievous and yoda jumps in and battles grievous. and thenmace somehow gets thrown out a window and lands on a genosian starfighter and hijacks it and right before doridekas kill ani and obi he floats up to a window and opens fire on the droids. but grievous kicks yoda into the pole thingy and it is about to fall on them but mace jumps out of the fighter and pushed it away and dooku and grievous run away in there ship. the end (a little jumpy though

13. Loopster

Loopster Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 26, 2000

* Have a younger villain. Lee is too old to do his own stunts and his double's body shape was nothing like Lee, also the CGI head looks dodgy.

* Obi-wan goes out too quickly and far too easily. He got fobbed off so Yoda could have his day in the sun.

* Not have Yoda jump around like Hoppity Hooper, in fact not have Yoda fight at all.

* More double sabre action.

I have to say the lighting effects were cool, using the sabres to light the scene of Anakin and Dooku fighting was very effective. In comparison to TPM, this sabre duel was a disapointment.

14. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Take it out of that hanger and into a Techno Union Ship under attack! :D

Or not... :(

15. mace-windooku

mace-windooku Jedi Youngling

Apr 7, 2005
    make it longer

and one thing that I thought made the maul duel better was that it covered so much space and they were constantly moving into new areas

16. Wally44

Wally44 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 10, 2005
    I'd slow the duel down between Ani and Dooku. Yes, Christopher Lee was old, but I'm sure he could have been just as effective if they slowed down his fighting style. The duel between OB1 and Vader wasn't very fast in the OT and I think saber attacks from Dooku would have been much more exciting if they were slowed down and it were him actually performing the swordwork. Someone mentioned the Maul fight being much faster and over a greater area. I think that's exactly what we'll get with The Duel in a month and 11 days. :)

17. SWJaggy

SWJaggy Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2003
    I think it would've been better had they added in the scene with Dooku using two lightsabers.

18. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Show Anakin fighting rather than just his face.

19. Delta_62

Delta_62 Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 20, 2005
    There was a scene with Dooku using 2 sabers? Like, 2 Sith lightsabers, or his and a regular one?

20. Darth_Takedown

Darth_Takedown Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2004
    Two suggestions:

1) Anakin just kind of held his arm out there waiting
    for Dooku to cut it off. Make Dooku work for it.

2) The same goes for when Dooku waits for Anakin to
    block his deathblow to Obi-Wan. Choreograph this
    a bit better.

21. Azhrei

Azhrei Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2004
    For those who say to stop showing the lightsabers flashing in front of their faces... no. Lucas is making a point by doing it this way, in the emotion we can barely glimpse through the shadows. Anakin looks cold and brutal, determined to see Dooku brought down by any means necessary. Dooku looks surprised throughout the fight at Anakin. Watch his face as Anakin slides over to Obi-Wan after he loses his arm - he looks absolutely wrecked, as if the fight had gone on too long, and had cost him too much.

Yes, the fight would've been better if we'd actually seen it, but you would then lose the emotion impact of the duel. Making the duel look better for the audience doesn't necessarily mean that's what's best for the movie, for Lucas to tell his story.

22. Freedom_Fighter

Freedom_Fighter Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 14, 2005
    hah, i thought you'd never ask. there's so much wrong with this lightsaber fight it aint even funny.

ok, first of all i think the sith lightning was lame. the way he just kind of stuck his hand out slowly and shot was really dumb. he should do it more like the emporer does in ROTJ, where's it's like comin out of his fingers as opposed to the middle of his hand, and he looks a lot more into it. or at least have him thrust his hand out when he shoots it instead of slowing extending his arm. that woulda looked cooler.

anyway other than that i think the very beginning of it is fine, like when ani runs at him and gets quickly knocked out of the way, then obi-wan gets in. i can't remember exactly how this part goes but i'm sure it could use a little choreography improvement, but anyway i'll move on to the next part.

when anakin gets in there the second time with the two lightsabers, that should have went on longer. that like 4 or 5 second when he has the two lightsabers is awesome, then he loses one of them and it gets sucky. when i saw that on the previews i thought it was gonna be awesome and it really was not that cool. anakin should have kept the second one and fought like that for a while. and the camera should have stayed back a ways. they just show the lightsabers in front of their face for a while and that's really stupid. they should have kept the cameral back and ani with one lightsaber and have them moving a little faster and maybe a little more aggressively so that they look like they're fighting as opposed to dancing. that would have been cool. then after ani gets his arm cut off, they could just leave the rest the same cuz i think the yoda part kicks butt. except maybe they could have drug that out just a LITTLE bit more. the yoda scene was awesome but way too short.

23. OB1KINOBI

OB1KINOBI Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2005
    I'd say to not have Anakin charge at Dooku foolishly, or let obi 1 have more dueling time because i dont think obi would last 5 seconds.

24. cbrowns4812

cbrowns4812 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 27, 2005
    I would have appreciated having seen Dooku actually fence as he was reported to do in all reference material.

In all leadup and background literature from novels to the descriptions of his lightsabre, we were told his style involved very controlled, minimal movement fencing. What we saw in the movie was a stunt guy with Christopher Lee's face plastered on him doing as many flips and twirls as Obi-Wan and Anakin.

I had been looking forward to some realistic combat techniques from Dooku to justify his dominance in the duel, but alas, as a poster has already stated, Dooku wins against both Jedi with relatively contrived moves (I say relatively because all moves in choreographed fights are contrived by definition, but that there are ways to fool the audience into thinking it's random and real).

25. Darth_Patton00

Darth_Patton00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2005
    Make Dooku not be able to defeat Anakin and Obi-Wan so easily. It makes them look like pathetic fighters. Maybe even have Anakin beating Dooku with his two lightsabers and then have him trip or something. Also Yoda's part should be longer, and he should be able to lift the pole and keep on fighting with his lightsaber.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.