main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How would you rank Han's death scene?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by -SummerMendocino-, Dec 22, 2015.

?

How would you rank Han's death scene?

1. Epic. Perfect, heroic sendoff to Han.

58.3%
  2. Okay. Not Boromir-perfect, but fitting enough and was satisfying.

22.2%
  3. Underwhelming. Disappointing. Insulting. Deserved a better and more heroic death.

19.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BucMan-55

BucMan-55 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 2, 2004

As more of a movie purist, I've always felt Boba Fett died in the sarlacc, Maul fell in two pieces dead, and Chewie was alive after ROTJ. My reality is what's in the movie, so me completely disregarding the EU is consistent with being OK with Han's death. Until the filmmakers show it, or reference it, it ain't so.

2. Motterman

Motterman Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 22, 2000
    Interesting how Rey witnessed this, just like Luke witnessed Vader killing Obi-Wan.

Skellybobs likes this.
  3. ThatsNoPloKoon

ThatsNoPloKoon Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2013
    Yeah there were a lot of parallels between Kylo killing Han and Vader killing Obi-Wan.

Skellybobs likes this.
  4. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    The Luke/ Vader relationship was sketched out in extreme shorthand, and yet that didn't diminish the emotion of their duel in ROTJ, IMO. In TFA, we actually have a lot more context and emotion behind the relationship, and a deeper sense of Han and Leia's loss, and Kylo's conflicted identity. So though it is indeed "shorthand" character development, I think it's richer than what we got in the OT.

Plus, highly economical character development is one of the things Star Wars does best, and TFA is no exception.

Skellybobs likes this.
  5. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I found it heartbreaking. It made me tear up thrice. I think that Ford portrayed it very well, especially with his caressing of Ren's cheek before falling into the abyss. Han must have known there was considerable risk going out there. However, he did it in spite of that out of a desire to help his son.

6. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    It's not an "argument" it's a point of view based on a fact within the film. We DON'T SEE the relationship... so there's little drama to play out other than the fact that they are killing off an iconic character. Yes - Ford probably agreed to do TFA on the basis that he wanted the character killed off... and given that, they had little choice other than to respect his wishes. But I think they could have made his death much more dramatic than it was. I don't think it was bad or anything, I just thought he kind of went out with a whimper... when he probably deserved something more reflective of his character.

7. Jedi Covenant

Jedi Covenant Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2015
    But that makes it even more confusing considering the fact Disney made the 08 Clone Wars series canon, which made even less sense tying in the prequels and made Darth Maul alive, so when the next movie when they mention things from that series or the ****** Rebels show you'll be even more confuse.

Plus you're missing out of the entire SW experience caring for only the films and liking only the three OT.

8. ucdex

ucdex Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    I really liked it, and it was Adam Driver's performance , the music and visual symbolism that seals the deal.

No marks off for 'seeing it coming from a mile away' it was intended to be that way, as JJ moved all the pieces into place, including spectating stormtroopers. It wasn't meant to be a last minute shocker twist. They built it up on purpose.

9. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I thought it was in fact epic. I thought Han went out a hero in another fashion than some daring raid with Chewie in the Falcon. He came full circle from ANH and while he did change between ANH and ROTJ, let alone ESB, it showed he was willing to die to possibly help his child.

Skellybobs likes this.
  10. McLaren

McLaren Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 1, 2002
    As many have stated, it had absolutely no resonance, no weight, nothing. Just another item to tick off as we hurtled down the reset checklist.

Worse than that, Han Solo, the smuggler who became a General and toppled an evil Empire, died a failure at the hands of a crazy man-baby. He failed: 1) as a father, 2) as a husband, 3) to complete his final mission, 4) to understand the grave threat his son had become, 5) even to be a competent smuggler!

I don't go to Star Wars movies to see "real life." These are stories of epic heroes that are worthy of emulation. Han is no longer one of those.

Which makes me wonder - if this isn't "Episode VII" why bring back the OT cast at all? Why not just jump ahead "a thousand generations"?

Prisic Duskleap likes this.
  11. deathfromabove

deathfromabove Jedi Master star 2

Feb 18, 2007
    There is no option there to vote PREDICTABLE.

12. DavidSword79

DavidSword79 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    I thought it was really well done. It seems obvious in retrospect, but anything could have happened on that bridge. Chewie could have leapt down from his landing and taken the fatal blow on Han's behalf. Rey and Finn could have opened fire on RenBen. Instead Han was killed as we all dreaded. Myself, after it happened I was trembling with fury that it had happened at all. So I think the producers did their job well.

13. Darth_Christmas

Darth_Christmas Jedi Knight

Dec 21, 2015
    I thought it was very underwhelming and disappointing. The dialogue between kylo and han left quite a bit to be desired.

I hadn't seen any spoilers but I assumed Han would get killed during the encounter, largely because Kylo appeared to be more of a bad a$$ than he turned out to be. His inner-turmoil, if there really was any, didn't seem genuine. I don't know if that's because of the script or the acting.

I wanted to see Kylo be more dark in that scene. It was really the beginning of Kylo's fall from being a super cool villain character to laughably weak. A change that I didn't understand and really disliked.

Han touching Kylo's face stunk of cheese.

14. Zenwalker

Zenwalker Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    The scene was epic and great and all of that. It's just hard for me to accept that one of my all time favorite movie characters is gone. :(

15. Jedi Covenant

Dec 20, 2015
    Like I said, Harrison wanted to die in the film, JJ gave him what he wanted, which is why I was against the sequel trilogy from the start.

16. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015
    I liked how it got very quiet during that scene. Silence can be a very powerful thing. The death scene was very well done.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  17. jediela83

jediela83 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 24, 2015
    I'm afraid when I compare my reaction to Han's death scene to that of of Chewie in the EU or Boromir or Gandalf in LOTR it just shows me that the scene does not really work for me. Even though I knew Gandalf wasn't really dead I still wept buckets the same with Chewie and Boromir. I should say I am huge Han Solo fan and have been since I first saw ANH way back in 1978. I even cried when Vader died after saving Luke in ROTJ but after seeing TFA twice my only reaction is that it was so badly handled. I just feel angry and have yet to shed one tear. I think a big part of the problem is that we have little knowledge of Ren's character other than as whiny psycho wannabee with serious daddy/grand daddy issues. To me Kylo is just a caricature villain anyway.There has been no demonstration of any relationship with his father good or bad. The scene plays out almost like a caricature of various death scenes in SW and other movies. We didn't even get a funeral or a great deal of mourning for Han even Vader got some kind of funeral.George Lucas according to another thread on this board thinks of Star Wars as a family soup opera and JJ has certainly written this scene as such. I also found the dialogue pretty cheesy. I will give Harrison credit for his acting during that scene but if he only agreed to do this movie so that they would kill off his character I wish he hadn't bothered

Prisic Duskleap and Zenwalker like this.
  18. Zenwalker

Zenwalker Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Couldn't agree more. For those of us who have been around since the beginning, it was hard to take.

19. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011

Because Chewie's death in the EU was nothing more than a bunch of shock value done by a bunch of pseudo-masochists with horrible character design where you could tell that the writers were trying to make them as "grimdark" as possible in a book series that went too long (19 books) and kept having writing-style shifts.

No, Chewie's death in Vector Prime was BS. Simply put: Han's death > Chewie's death.

20. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    I'm right in the middle. IT was emotional, but just ok. My emotion was just seeing a character Ive known and loved for 30+ years bite the bullet. I still think he should have died on the Falcon with Chewie. A proper Captain sendoff. At least he didn't die by falling off a bridge ala Captain Kirk....it was close though.

It was.......fun.

21. Motterman

Motterman Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 22, 2000
    I like that Kylo Ren isn't a complete villain yet. You can't have a character arc, if you start with a fully evil bad guy.
    I love that he struggled with it and showed weakness and I hated him for killing Han.
    He's set up to come back stronger in the dark side and potentially augmented mechanically.
    Its glorious living in a time where we don't know what's going to happen.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I felt more for Chewie's death in VP than I did Han's death in TFA.
    Han's reactions to it, him yelling at Jaina and Jacen after Anakin jumped to hyperspace in that Tie, and his monologue at the end of the book.
    And everything from Agents of Chaos.

JeeediMoriah likes this.
  23. Rock76

Rock76 Jedi Knight

Dec 26, 2015
    I am much more consumed with a wave of hatred for the ones who decided the plot... Frankly it's unbelievable what they did... I will never recover

24. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    One of the best, if not the best scene in the entire movie. It was nice to actually have some real mature drama in Star Wars, and I thought the acting was just superb. I think it compares quite well to the Luke/Vader scene in ROTJ (which is still probably the best dramatic scene in the entire saga given the build-up and stakes). In the case of the Luke/Vader scene it was something I never fully understood until I became a parent and now I have an even better appreciation for it (not that I didn't like it as a kid, but it's so much more emotionally resonant now). I'm guessing this scene is going to be received the same way; people who are parents will relate to it most strongly (esp people who have children that have gone through dark periods).

Honestly, I think we should all be happy that a great character like Han Solo was able to go through such a fantastic character arc and go out in such a touching way. From Scoundrel to warrior to Leader/hero to Father who refuses to give up on his child. Honestly I personally feel like him going out in a "blaze of glory" would be a weak and childish way to finish his character arc

25. Jedi Covenant

Dec 20, 2015
    And JJ abrams and Disney wasn't? and you say insults but you do not have reason of why you hate the books other than "grimdark"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.