main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How would YOU rank TCW amongst the other films?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by darth_nemisis, Aug 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    So, I am interested in hearing how you guys would rank TCW amongst the other movies. I figured this would be interesting as I have seen mixed feelings of this movie.

For me, I am going with this:

1.) Empire Strikes Back - Story was amazing
    2.) Revenge of the Sith - Best action out of any of the films
    3.) Return of the Jedi - Palpatine was awesome
    4.) A New Hope - Great story, and the start of it all
    5.) Attack of the Clones - Great action
    6.) The Phantom Menace - Amazing lightsaber battles
    7.) The Clone Wars - (Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie) Again, amazing action. Just not that big of a fan of cartoons is all.

Mod Approved

2. SuperPersch

SuperPersch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2004
    I can't. They are all just too awesome.

3. TheTelmarine

TheTelmarine Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 27, 2008
    For me, it's (currently)...

1. Revenge of the Sith
    2. The Clone Wars
    3. The Empire Strikes Back
    4. Return of the Jedi
    5. Attack of the Clones
    6. A New Hope
    7. The Phantom Menace

This is subject to change, of course. :)

4. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    Wow, number two? Nice.

Care to explain how it may change? :)

5. TheTelmarine

Jul 27, 2008
    No clue. :D Sometimes, my opinions on things just randomly change. But if it did change, I'm pretty sure it would be TCW coming out on top. For me, it's pretty hard to choose between RotS and TCW as the top film. TCW has incredible battle scenes, which I love to death, but RotS has so much suspense and emotion...

6. Obi1cannoli

Obi1cannoli Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2005

Hmmm... I'm still not comfortable calling TCW a "movie". movie-length I can accept, but it was still the pilot episode for a series, and that drastically changes so much of its format that I can't personally compare it with the other, dedicated, movies.

Still enjoyed it though!

7. Darth_Zoo

Darth_Zoo Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Tough question. I'm also not sure if I should add TCW to my signature. It was a great movie but it really wasn't part of the saga and wasn't really meant to be. After a few more viewings in theater and DVD I may get comfortable with grouping it in the saga.

8. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Yeah, uh, I loved The Clone Wars but come on, it's not really fair to rank it against the other live-action films, lol. It would be 7th if I did that. And tied for 1st would be the other six movies.

And to the OP: dude, if you're going to start a thread, call yourself a fan, and presumably call yourself an educated moviegoer, please refrain from calling an ANIMATED film a cartoon. It is NOT a freakin' flippin' cartoon, it's an ANIMATED FILM. I don't know what is with Americans who just have no clue that anything animated does NOT equal cartoon. I know this because I actually know who Hayao Miyazaki is and love Pixar, but if you don't even know what Studio Ghibli is please educate yourself before watching more "cartoons," lol. It's just insulting.

9. TheTelmarine

Jul 27, 2008
    To who? :confused:

10. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    OP = Original Poster

At least I think that's what it means.

11. Prequel_Dreamer

Prequel_Dreamer Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 2004
    OP = Original Poster

12. SaberJedi2

SaberJedi2 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2007
    My sentiments EXACTLY. While enjoyable, I cannot in no way compare it to the live actions. I just view them differently. I hold the other films as Star Wars films and TCW as an entertaining bonus.

13. Trentman359

Trentman359 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 2002
    Ya, I really just viewed it as the first 4 episodes of the show. As a movie it was very average. But as episodes of the tv show, I couldn't be more excited.

14. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    Well, technically, TCW is just several cartoons edited together to make a movie. So, I guess then you could still call it a cartoon. ;)

But, no need to get offensive. ;) And no, Studio Ghibli is not something I am familiar with. Looking it up, I see why; Japanese animation is not quite something I am interested in, and quite frankly, don't get what that has to do with TCW. :p

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I enjoyed TCW. Presently I rank TPM at the bottom of the live action films. I'd have to place TCW slightly above or slightly below TPM. I can't decide at this point though. They have the same level of maturity, except TPM has longer stretches of duller content, while TCW plays more like a cohesive highlights reel.

16. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Quest and I were discussing making this thread, but we thought we'd wait a few days until the film had a chance to sink in. Apparently some people couldn't wait. 8-}

It's not part of the Saga, IMHO. That doesn't mean that I won't rank it against the Saga films after I see it (Monday....booooo...), but generally it's just a promo for the tv series.

17. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    1. Empire Strikes Back- always has been my favorite. I just love Vader in it.
    2. Revenge of the Sith- Great action, great graphics, improved acting. Anakin to Vader.
    3. A new hope- the begining of it all, the references to ROTS.
    4. Return of the Jedi- Anakin redeemed, awesome music, awesome action, Emporer was great. closure, the ending.
    5. Attack of the Clones- slight glimpses of Anakin turning, the begining of the CW.
    6. The Phantom menace- I find it somewhat boring and Jake and Jar Jar were too much for me. Still, it was the begining of the PT, Maul was awesome, so was Qui Gon and it was cool to see Palps come into position.
    7. The Clone Wars- I loved it, but it didn't have the SW feel to it. Though, good voice acting, good action, even good humour. I hated Ziro's voice actor, and the fact that there was no opening scroll... [face_shame_on_you]

18. Prequel_Dreamer

Prequel_Dreamer Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 2004
    1. Empire Strikes Back/ Revenge of the Sith/ The Phantom Menace

2. A New Hope, The Clone Wars (Dave Filoni)

3. Attack of the Clones/Clone Wars (Gendy Tartokovsky)//Return of the Jedi

19. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I'd have to think about that. AotC has the ending I adore, but I consider TPM an incredibly well-rounded film. TCW dragged a little, but RotS and RotJ are clearly at the top of their games. ESB never struck a chord with me like the Prequels did, but I watched the OT late in their and my life. ANH was good, but not enough to engross me.

I'm a Fleet Junkie and a Sith lover, which may explain my rankings somewhat...

1. RotS - Battle of Coruscant, Tyranus duel, Grievous duel, Sidious and Mace and cohorts duel, Sidious and Yoda - and Darth Plagueis the Wise, a tantalising addition

2. RotJ - The Battle of Endor and Palpatine's scenes - the beginning was a little lackluster, mind you

3. AotC/TPM/TCW/ESB/ANH - TPM had some slow bits, AotC was slow until Kamino, and even then Anakin's plotline was slow, TCW was a little up and down, ESB a little slow in the middle, and ANH is basic, really, but the ending is good

More or less. They all have their good and bad points, for point 3. Ventress wore hotpants. I disliked that. Infinitely.

20. swcolts157

swcolts157 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 15, 2008
    This was tough and my order has recently changed too, because just the other day, my friend and I sat down and watched all 6 films within like 20 hours or so. But anyway here it is:

1. Revenge of the Sith (Just a great film, loads of action, acting top notch, wonderful plot and effects. Very emotional.)
    2. The Empire Strikes Back (Best acting in the whole saga, characters are all fastastic, can't beat "I am your father.")
    3. A New Hope (Another solid film. Great stand alone story. It's third though because the pacing is just too slow for me.)
    4. The Clone Wars (The best action scenes in the saga. Also, possibly the funniest film of the saga. A lot of fun with awsome animation, just a few little kiddle things and no crawl, but it was still great.)
    5. The Phantom Menace (This was really good when I watched it a couple days ago. Sidious is the best in this and it's too bad Qui-Gon and Darth Maul had to die. The pacing was a little slow in the middle but the end battle makes up for it.)
    6. Attack of the Clones (The beginning of the Clone Wars, best part of the movie, the rest isn't to my liking. I don't like any of the loved scenes. That's why AOTC is this low on my list.)
    7. Return of the Jedi (It has the best space battle in the saga and the Luke/Vader stuff is very emotional, but I can't stand the damn Ewoks, that's why this movie is last on my list. There's like 15 minutes with just Ewoks and it just isn't good. Also I think the Jabba stuff in the beginning goes on too long.)

21. David_Skywalker01

David_Skywalker01 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2006
    As my list stands now...

Empire Strikes Back

A New Hope

Revenge of the Sith

Return of the Jedi

Clone Wars

The Phantom Menace

Attack of the Clones

Ewok Movies (I beleive these were released in the UK as a motion picture)

Now if George Plans any more movies this list is null and void.

22. Giolon05

Giolon05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2005
    I don't. I rank them as a great start to the TV series.

23. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    1. Empire Strikes Back-My favorite in the series. My pick as the best film of all time. The one movie in the series I will watch without hesitation. *****

2. A New Hope-The movie is a little slow until they get to the Cantina but it started a love affair I will never forget.*****

3. Revenge of the Sith-The best of the prequels and the most interesting. The final hour is some of the best pure popcorn big budget entertainment I have ever seen. *****

4. Return of the Jedi-The Luke/Vader/Palpatine stuff is just terrific, the final space battle is maginificent. People have problems with Ewoks I do to but not to the extent of the Jabba stuff. I usually fast forward the first 25 minutes or so. ***1/2

5. Attack of the Clones-The Padme/Anakin scenes on Naboo are pretty dreadful. Everything else in this film is very very good, especially the Obi-Wan scenes *** 1/2

6. The Phantom Menace-I got a chance to watch this again a few weeks ago. It's a good solid entertaining film. I think people were expecting to be blown away but moviegoing habits changed since 1977. Still there are some weak points, Jar Jar, sorry he is and not enough for Darth Maul to do. But that final lightsaber battle is killer. *** 1/2

7. The Clone Wars-Nothing great but nothing terrible, the epitome of a **1/2 film.

24. iLoveAnakin7

iLoveAnakin7 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 17, 2005
    RotS
    ESB
    TPM
    ANH
    RotJ
    TCW
    AotC

25. Badger_Legion

Badger_Legion Jedi Knight star 1