main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How would you rate "Chase on Coruscant?"

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by zam_wesell13, Jun 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MachinatingMachiavel

MachinatingMachiavel Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 1, 2002
    no way? I guess I just replay the movie in my head when I listen to the soundtrack so I'd swear it's in it when it isn't.

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    It IS on the soundtrack CD. It is NOT in the film. Capeche?

3. MachinatingMachiavel

MachinatingMachiavel Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 1, 2002
    no, I know. I mean when I listen to the soundtrack, I can sometimes see what's happenning in my head at that point in the movie. That's why I thought they were together, since I visualized them together. ah nevermind.

4. zam_wesell13

zam_wesell13 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2002
    i can't visulize it myself, coz the music is looped, it gets me confused.

5. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I thought it was an exciting piece. I could really see the scene in my head as I listen to the track. JW is usually good at every piece he does though.

6. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I still say what I have said for months. The sequence is one of the best actions sequences EVER in a Star Wars film. The music weaves in so well. It is perfection. I cannot imagine the sequence without this wonderful cue by Williams and I cannot hear the music without the film's images in my head.

Pure Star Wars magic.

7. Neophool

Neophool Jedi Youngling

Nov 14, 2001
    Eh, there's maybe 2 minutes of good, intense stuff in there, other than that it's kinda boring to me. neat orchestrations in the beginning and closing, but the lame percussion soli and interesting but misused electric guitar are only distracting. One of my favorite parts of the soundtrack is towards the end of this cue, though.

8. TenorAprentice

TenorAprentice Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    First off, love the piece...and on IMAX? OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyway, after watching the movie, I wondered if the guitar was ever supposed to be in there. As stated, we have the effects of the speeders shifting gears in the movie verson. I wondered if the CD version has the guitar to emulate the effect sounds and remind the listener of the scene...bring them back to the moment, if you will...

9. darth_sidious1

darth_sidious1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 14, 2002
    Hey,

I thought the chase music was Awesome! I loved the electric guitar, for me it reinforced the whole urban, artificial setting of the chase. Never any harm in trying something different, and in this case, Williams got away with it. I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but there are some parts of the chase that sound a bit like an opening theme for the nightly news, or maybe a telegraph (my description sucks I know, but maybe you might know what i'm talking about).

One last thing: what are those drums during the solo parts? they sound kind of tribal or ethnic or something. Does anyone know what they are? Thanks in advance.

10. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Some sort of ethnic drum... I believe from Africa but do not quote me.

11. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I thought it was great!

12. Dani1138

Dani1138 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 20, 2002
    "Does anyone remember the alternate version of "Escape from Naboo" in TPM?"

Not 100% sure about this, but I think the version you're referring to was used in the "Jedi Power Battles" PSX game

As for "Chase Through Coruscant", this, along with "Love Pledge and The Arena", has gotta be my favourite track on the album... and yes, I like the electric guitar too, but I think I can understand why it was cut. Probably considered a little too "out there" for Star Wars or something.

13. zam_wesell13

zam_wesell13 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2002
    i love how he uses the bongo drums in it for when Zam is aiming at Obi-Wan.

there's also a lot of percussion, JW likes that. and some violins...and some brass...um...interesting.

14. Darth_Zoo

Darth_Zoo Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Love the percussian. I missed the little guitar solo in the movie! I wish GL would of kept it in.

15. Santa_The_Hobbit

Santa_The_Hobbit Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 15, 2002
    As a guitarist, that was naturally my favourite part.

It's nice to have the electric guitar included as a part of respectable music. ;)

16. george_starwars

george_starwars Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2002
    Ack! Sidescroll! Horrid! GET RID OF IT QUICK!

I love the first part. I agree that JW should arranged it for a concert. Sort of the same way he rewrote "The Forest Battle" in ROTJ.

17. padmeleiaandluke

padmeleiaandluke Jedi Youngling

Jan 13, 2003
    I think the first 3 or 4 minutes are really good but after that it kinda drags.

18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I think all 11 minutes are genius. Some of the best action / tension music that Williams has done.

19. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Yeah, this is brilliant scoring. It's not one of the more "listenable" tracks on the cd, but works great with the film.

I kind of like that the guitar is not in the film. It doesn't seem to fit, though short & fairly subtle.

20. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I think it is very listenable. As listenable as the Battle of Hoth. As for the guitar, my feelings on this matter are clear. I do not like it, I love that it is NOT in the film and I hate that it IS on the CD.

This lengthy cue is the exact reason that I AM hoping for a UE of AOTC just like the one from TPM. That way I get exactly what's in the film.

21. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    To me, The Battle of Hoth is so much more listenable than The Chase Through Coruscant.

I suppose to make a really fair comparison, I'll have to give the AOTC music a few more years to ferment.

22. batvader

batvader Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    IMHO, it's one of those tracks that are just perfect for the scene they were written, but have limited listenability as a stand-alone track on album.

Yeah, the purpose of a score track is to fit the film, but JW has done some action cues that are perfect on album as well (Battle of Hoth, TIE Fighter Attack, Battle of Yavin, The Asteroid Field etc.) so I understand why some are harsh towards ''Chase''.

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    When I listen to the AOTC CD, the Chase is one of the tracks I make SURE I listen to. I absolutely adore it!

Though, even this long after, I would still nix the electric guitar. I agree with the decision to cut it out of the film... it does not fit.

24. CopernicusDent

CopernicusDent Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2001
    "I agree with the decision to cut it out of the film... it does not fit."

Editing out the guitar was an editorial decision due to the opinion of Zam's speeder clashing with the electrical guitar sound.

25. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    How you can know this I have no idea. But whatever the reason, I agree with the decision and would love this music without the guitar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.