main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census How would you rate Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by NYCitygurl, Nov 19, 2010.

?

How would you rate Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1?

Poll closed Nov 19, 2010.
  1. 10 - amazing!

28.1%
  2. 9

18.8%
  3. 8

25.0%
  4. 7

15.6%
  5. 6

3.1%
  6. 5

3.1%
  7. 4

3.1%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

3.1%
  10. 1 - horrible!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    WARNING to those who haven't seen the movie: There will probably be spoilers in here.

2. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    The best of the series so far,

For the first time, they stayed fairly true to the book.

And beware... its a tearjerker

and it doesn't feel like the 2 hours it is...

3. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    10. Definitely a 10. Best HP movie to date, easily.

After seeing it at midnight I knew I'd be going with either 9 or 10, went again with some other friends... and concluded that it was definitely a ten.

4. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008

Great movie, and loyal to the book.

5. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    I was not impressed. It left out too many important details.

6. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Seriously? What did you think it left out? Several things had to be changed because of HBP screwups, but I can't fault this one for that.

7. Clone-Gen-DANO76-

Clone-Gen-DANO76- Jedi Youngling

Oct 24, 2010
    I must say Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows was AMAZING!!!
    A very dark movie... but that's what makes it so good.
    It keeps you on edge the entire time, even if you've already read the book!
    I highly recommend seeing it. Be warned though, the movie gets very emotional.

8. Master_Jaina1011

May 20, 2002
    For the things HBP messed up, this stayed true to the parts of the books that were included.

HBP left out Tonks/Remus and Bill/Fleur so I cannot fault them on that.

And it was nice to actually see Bill.

And oh...Dobby. That scene was beautiful.

And one thing that did make me mad... Pettigrew NOT dying!

9. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
  10. No explanation of what the mirror was

11. No real explanation of what Horcruxes are

12. Why Kreacher listens to Harry

13. Remus/Tonks pregnancy

14. Andromeda, Ted, Krum and Dean left completely out

15. Voldemort Taboo

16. Harry's doubts about Dumbledore are barely touched. That whole subplot is so important to the scene at the end of the book.

17. Major spoiler if the second half if you haven't read the book. Without Phineas Nigellus Black's portrait, how in the world does Snape know where Harry is to give him the sword?

18. The whole Wormtail thing was just annoying. Why bother even adding in his silver hand?

I did like how Hedwig died. It gave her some real character. The scene with Nagini in Godric's Hollow was done well. Overall, I thought Ron was best portrayed of the main characters. His scene with the locket was excellent.

Most of these things could have been fixed with a couple sentences.

19. Master_Jaina1011

May 20, 2002
    True.

I forgot about the Voldemort taboo.

And the mirror...oh yeah...

Thats what I get for being drunk and getting hungover during the movie @ 3:15am.

As I said the Tonks/Lupin thing bothered me, and I was wondering about Ted and such...

20. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    4. FG's post above describes my feelings pretty well, but some scenes were pulled off well so regains marks for that.

Also, the editing was horrible.

21. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    They were sold out, so I haven't seen it yet.

22. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    7. It wasn't terrible, but I agree with what FelsGoddess posted. Although, given how many important details were left out from previous films, it's hardly surprising - it seems to me that the filmmakers didn't give a **** about the continuity between the films.

And Emma Watson still can't act...

23. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    I give it an 8. Really enjoyed it, though I don't think it'll reach POA in my mind as the better film.

I do agree though that the plot hole regarding the Sword of Gryffindor was irksome (though Hermione's 'Forest of Dean' line was kept in the film so maybe the portrait was there but we just never see it).

24. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Saw it tonight.

It's an 8 in my books. POA is still my favourite, but this is a close second.

Reasoning to following, some other time when I'm not quite so tired. :p

25. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    6...? I guess. I think I'm becoming a bit of a cynic with HP movies (which is :( of me), but I only found it OK. I can't remember details from the books (LOVE the books though so don't get me wrong, it's just been awhile) and after having watched the film I just found that they didn't seem to achieve much. It was too slow and not as self-explanatory as movies should be.

26. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    7 to 8. Very good, but a few scenes don't work.

27. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    An easy 10. I'm really dismayed by the amount of people who keep saying it was "too slow". The whole point of the film--and the whole point of the book, as well--was not necessarily big, flashy, explosive events, but three people trying to fulfill one enormous task while the whole world falls apart around them. I think that was pulled off exceptionally well in the book, and extraordinary well in the film, too.

Case in point: that scene where Ron, Harry, and Hermione were walking across an massive landscape, in brilliant parallel to the scope of the job they had to do, and all we heard was the voice on the radio listing the names of people who have gone missing. It was...chilling. The whole Ministry of Magic segment was suspenseful, hilarious, and hard-hitting; the scene with Voldemort at the beginning was so tense it was almost palpable; and then the part where Harry and Hermione just danced...it really fit. That was some great stuff.

Emma Watson's acting has improved, but I think everyone's giving her too much credit for her screaming during the Bellatrix torture scene. I mean, come on, people. If Helena Bonham Carter sat on top of you, I think you'd scream like that, too.

28. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    That's exactly what I'm saying. :p The only other scene in which Watson's acting was pretty good was when they Apparated in the forest after escaping from the Ministry and she was trying to save splinched Ron. I believed her in that moment. But otherwise... I dunno, she's always having the same expression, and just isn't believable as the character.

29. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Helena Bonham Carter sits on top of Colin Firth in "The King's Speech" and he doesn't seem too perturbed.

30. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Yes, but is she playing a bat****-crazy witch about to torture him to death there? :p

31. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    8. I was impressed, because this isn't my favourite book, but it's the best one out of the movies this far.

32. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    It depends on your view of the Queen Mum.

33. PirateofRohan

PirateofRohan Jedi Master star 3

Dec 11, 2009
    Best one next to PoA!:D And it followed the books fairly well. That's the last thing I expected from Yates. And I am bringing tissues to Part 2.:_| I'd like to add that all the comedy in Dobby's scene just added to the shock the casual fan would have felt during his death. Though one of my friends was sitting next to some annoying seven year-olds who actually laughed-LAUGHED-and commented on how funny it would have been if Harry just threw Dobby's body into the grave. Luckily I was at a different theater.

34. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    I gave it a 9. I like all the HP movies though, I actually marathoned them all after seeing it last night for the first time, great stuff.

You guys discussing Emma Watson's acting.... I sort of get the feeling from the books that she has always kind of struggling to relate and understand people like she does books. She can't just read a person like they have instructions, they are a lot different than straight fact or knowledge. So with that being said I thought she has shown great character growth in that respect through the series.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.