How would you rate Serenity?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by Mastadge, Oct 2, 2005.

?

How would you rate Serenity?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
10 25 vote(s) 64.1%
9 7 vote(s) 17.9%
8 1 vote(s) 2.6%
7 3 vote(s) 7.7%
6 1 vote(s) 2.6%
5 0 vote(s) 0.0%
4 0 vote(s) 0.0%
3 0 vote(s) 0.0%
2 0 vote(s) 0.0%
1 2 vote(s) 5.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the best, 1 being the worst, how would you rate Serenity?
  2. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I'd probably give it an 8, maybe 8.5.

Just a few scattered thoughts: it had some truly impressive moments, but it felt too often like an oversized episode rather than a movie, mostly to do with some rather empty sets and some rather functional but hardly interesting camera work.

I love these characters, but I wished for more of them. Especially more of Kaylee. When the banter was there, it was great, but there wasn't quite enough of it.

I don't think I'd have cared for the movie as much if I hadn't seen the show. Certain jokes wouldn't have been as funny, relationships wouldn't have made as much sense, and events have as much resonance as they had thanks to the fact that I've spent 10+ hours invested in these characters already.

Still, it was very solid, best sfnal film of the year so far, for the most part not disappointing, if not overwhelming either. A couple hours of good solid fun.

EDIT: I agree with most of Nick's comments.
  3. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
    I'll rate the film after I see it.
  4. Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus

star 6
    After taking the series and the movie into account I've gotta say I liked it more than I did the entire Star Wars saga. So IMO it is better than the Star Wars movies.
  5. SeventhAngelicSlayer Jedi Knight

star 2
    Awesome movie. Along with Revenge of the Sith, it's my favorite of the year so far.
  6. Anakin_Sockwalker Jedi Master

star 4
    10 - easily one of the best movies of this century.
  7. doc4converse Jedi Master

star 4
    It was the best movie I have seen all year. I loved ROTS, but Serenity rocks.

I did not even see the series, and I understood the relationships and the jokes. Though, I am sure I missed a few of the jokes since I didn't watch the series.

This will be there first movie since Star Wars for me to go and watch it several times in the theatre! Usually I just see a movie once in the theatre and then get the DVD. However, I bought the TV series on DVD and will watch them this week. Then I will see the movie again this weekend. I will watch it a third time as well.

8. DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master

star 7
  9. Trentman359 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I gace it a 9. I havent even seen the show yet. But I liked the movie enough that I'm going to pick up the dvds soon.
  10. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Surely some more of you have seen the movie?
  11. Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I gave it a 10.

I never saw the series, but I absolutely loved the movie and can't wait to watch Firefly.
  12. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Oy! Definitely watch it. Immediately! It's better than the movie.
  13. Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Too bad Blockbuster and my library doesn't have it. :(
  14. Happy Ninja Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I voted 8. I like the film; I thought it was highly amusing.

I never saw Firefly, so this was my introduction to the franchise. If I had to use an analogy, I'd say the ship was like the Millenium Falcon, but larger, and had a crew like Star Trek (captain, chief engineer, security officer, etc.) that were all wise-cracking Han Solo type players. Works for me! :D
  15. rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I haven't seen Firefly (stupid library waiting list :mad:), but I loved the movie.

I give it a 9. Overall it's up there with Land of the Dead as my favorite movie of the year.

It felt more like Star Wars in places than RotS did. It had a worn look, more involving characters and it felt right. The Serenity reminded me of the Falcon and overall I'd have to say I enjoyed this movie more.
  16. solo77 Force Ghost

star 5
  17. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Force Ghost

star 6
    I enjoyed it a lot, one of the better films this year, though I wouldn't go as far as saying the best. I haven't seen Firefly, though I am going to very soon as my brother has said it is very good (and all of your comments too).

Good movie, thumbs up for finally bringing new space sci-fi back to the cinema screen for real. :)
  18. Jedimaster_Prowl Force Ghost

star 4
  19. Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus

star 6

You saw how its doing at the box office. :(

Jen I can help you watch the series if you want.
  20. Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Best sci-fi adventure film since ALIENS (1986). Better than all 3 of the PT films put together. Arguably superior to ROTJ. On par with the original SW and (gasp!) ESB.

And I've never even seen frame one of FIREFLY!
  21. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Firefly is even better. Get thee to a video rental!
  22. Jaina Byrd Force Ghost

star 4
    I *loved* Serenity. I have been itching ever since to see the TV show. I gave up looking for a place to rent it, so I ended up buying it and watching the first 2 (technically 3) episodes tonight. OH MY GOSH. I have to say that the movie is very true to the TV show, from what I've seen- except there's more classical scores and less fiddle in the movie.
  23. AnakinStarkiller_8 Jedi Master

star 4
    I gave it 7.

Some parts of it I absolutely loved, but there were other parts where I was just uninterested. I haven't seen the series either, so that didn't help.
  24. SueAsideRide Jedi Master

star 4

It was entertaining. It started out somewhat questionably, but turned into a good story. I was glad to see it. I hadn't heard of Firefly before this though.
  25. neeldawg66 Force Ghost

star 8
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.