main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Nash, TN How would you rate the Episode I DVD

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by k kanos, Oct 5, 2001.

?

How would you rate the Episode I DVD

Poll closed Dec 4, 2001.
  1. AWESOME!!! Well worth the wait

7 vote(s)
    87.5%
  2. It's O.K. I've seen better DVD compilations

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. I have it on VHS, I'm not buying it again on DVD

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I'm holding out for the entire Star Wars DVD boxed set

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. The Episode I DVD is about as good an idea as Greedo shooting first

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k kanos

k kanos Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2000
  2. k kanos

May 1, 2000
    I know it's not out for a week and a half, but some people have gotten to see it already (Unfortunately not me). Check out this article from a guy who not only got to review it, but got to visit Skywalker Ranch in the process.

Episode I DVD review

3. Grand Moff Joker

Grand Moff Joker Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1999
    Scott! Glad to see you around on the boards. Your signature is great. Another quote from First Knight I've thought of a lot recently (especially in response to all the anti-war protestors) is:

"Sometimes there's a peace to be found only on the other side of war. If that battle must come, I will fight it!"

On topic... I can't wait for the TPM DVD... I'm hoping that and the upcoming EP2 trailer will revitalize the Star Wars fan base for awhile. I think even I am on the verge of becoming a Lord of the Rings convert. LOL

4. k kanos

May 1, 2000
    Thanks Matt. First Knight has some great idealogical motifs in it that are very similar to what our country was founded on. Unfortunately in the political arena, those ideals somehow get clouded by trivial issues that skew perspectives on what is really important.

Have you ever read LOTR? They are great books. If what I've seen so far from the trailers is any indication of what is to come, I think you won't be the only convert to that genre. I'm excited to say the least. I'm glad they waited this long to do them, as I think Tolkien's vision in the books can now finally be realized on the big screen.

I'm still more excited about the remaining Star Wars prequels of course, as those stories have yet to be told. Can't wait for the Phantom Menace DVD (One week from tomorrow!) Catch you later.

5. Elan-Rai

Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 11, 2001
    It HAS to be awesome! I will vote "awesome" after I watch it on DVD, but unless something terribly disappoints me......

6. k kanos

May 1, 2000
    I just got my new Entertainment Weekley this weekend and as much as they love to bash everything related to TPM (for which I almost canceled my subscription for), they gave the DVD an "A". They said that the real jewel of the DVD is the making of compilation with candid interviews about how the story of Ep I fits in with the whole Star Wars saga and the premise for a lot of the plot points of Ep I as well as hints at what is to come in the remaining prequel installments. O.K. I'm psyched now! :D

7. obi_john

obi_john Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2001
    Wow! This DVD is probbaly the best I have seen. I have watched certain scenes ( the Pod Race in Dolby Digital surround sound is awesome) and I really like the commentary track to the movie. Disc two has the extras, but I haven't got a chance to look through it yet. If you do not have a DVD player, get one for this.

John

8. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    Disc Two has some cool stuff. I watched that one first.

9. Steja_Palex

Steja_Palex Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    I have yet to watch the actual movie itself or the commentary from Lucas, McCallum and the rest...I'm still working my way thru all the documentaries and deleted scenes. And how 'bout those menu screens, huh? This was definitely worth the wait. Also very glad that McCallum's foul language was bleeped out. That has no place in the SW universe. It's really an excellent, EXCELLENT dvd. In my opinion, it's the best ever.

10. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    What kick butt DVD!! I haven't made into disc 2 yet, but I am almost there. Awesome! (As you can see in my rating. hehehe)

11. k kanos

May 1, 2000
    I've watched disc 2 and only bits and pieces of Disc 1. "Episode I the beginning" documentary is absolutely Awesome!!! It of course ends with Lucas starting to write Episode II. The parts that really surprised me were the ones showing how Jake Lloyd's performance was hit and miss. Lucas knew this going in, but felt that they could splice his inconsistant performances by taking several takes. I feel sorry for the actors who had to sit through all his mistakes. I still believe his performance was less than great. Thankfully we are jumping ahead 10 years and don't have to deal to much with kiddy main roles anymore.

McCullum had to be bleeped at least three times for saying the F word. I still think he is a suck-up. I have a lot more respect for ILM after seeing how much was involved in just doing the waterfall shot. Sheesh! Ewan seemed as excited as anyone in just being there. I don't believe the reports of him being digruntled with his role and mouthing off against Lucas. He looked like he was having too much fun to care.

By the way, in the sequence showing McGregor and Park sparing, did anyone notice that Park has a big ol shiner on his left eye. Looks like Ewan might have caught him off guard. OUCH!

The part showing how much Lucas can tinker with the movie was a little scary. I can see it being one of those things that he does it because he can, but may not think about whether he should or not. I didn't like the vocal changes he did to Natalie's voice when she portrayed the queen. It was over done. Too bad he couldn't manipulate Jar Jar's voice to not be so stinkin whiny or Jake's lines to not be so damned dry.

I picked up the DVD for two reasons:

1) It's a Star Wars movie on DVD
    2) The extras on disc 2 are well worth the investment alone.

While Episode I will have a place in my heart as a part of the Star Wars universe, it was by far, in my opinion, a lower quality story than the original trilogy. Too much sitting around, poor acting performances by a Lloyd, and too much irrelevant silliness incorporated with the Jar Jar character. Lucas talked about why they delete scenes. Two of the major reasons were so that the pace and plot intent didn't suffer. "Even though I may love a particular sequence, if it doesn't contribute to the storytelling process, then I have to delete it." And the opee farting sequence with Jar Jar contributed to the story in what way? Nuf said. Let us hope that Episode II gets back to the business of telling the story of the rise and fall of Anakin as well as the fall of the Republic. ;)

12. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    TPM DVD: $18
    DVD-ROM Drive: $80
    Screwdriver set (to install the DVD-ROM): $35

All in all, the most I have spent to watch a movie. I consider it a good investment.

13. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    While I admit that poor Lloyd can't act his way out of a paper bag, I did like the humor added in the movie (fart scene, Jar Jar, etc.) I think the original trilogy would have sucked had it not been for Han Solo's cheesy dialog, Solo/Organa's lip fueds, etc. (I think we'll see Anakin/Padme being argumentative in Episode 2!)

Sometimes I think we, as the audience, perceive Star Wars as a little TOO serious and forget about the "lightheartedness" of the OT. ;)

To agree with Hama and kanos, WELL worth the money spent!! :D

14. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    One thing I liked about "The Begining" documentary is it really gave me some respect for Jake Lloyd because he was so much better than the other actors. GL's comments on the inconcisistency of Anakin's performance was more about him as a child actor and not so much Jake Lloyd as an individual actor. Very few child actors are good, especially not in 145 degree weather.
    I also wished they had reinstated the "Farewell to Jira" deleted scene just because it really added something to Anakin's character plus it explained why Qui-Gon and Anakin where already running when Darth Maul caught up with them.

15. k kanos

May 1, 2000
    I agree. The farewell to Gira scene would have been a good addition except for the crappy acting by Lloyd. Also, I wish they would have encorporated the scene mentioned about Darth Maul leaping after Qui Gon onto the landing platform of the ship where Qui Gon separates it with his lightsaber. Maul falls to the ground and is left stunned as the Queens ship blasts its way off Tattooine.

16. Steja_Palex

Steja_Palex Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Hama MasterCard Commercial...take 1

TPM DVD: $18
    DVD-ROM Drive: $80
    Screwdriver set (to install the DVD-ROM): $35
    Seeing magic in the making: priceless

17. Hama

Jun 14, 2000
    [face_laugh]

And I also wish they had the scene where Obi-Wan's lightsabre shorted out in the swamp in the "deleted scenes."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.