main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph How would you turn your favurite book into a movie?

Discussion in 'Community' started by bluealien1, Sep 24, 2017.

1. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Two pages in and Ramza makes me realize that the OP in fact presents an interesting question.

My favurite book changes all the time. At the moment it's Amsterdam: A Brief Life of the City. I'd do it like Russian Ark - one long shot that covers centuries - but instead of just using one location, I'd let it wander across the city. One person would like it: me

Ramza, Darth Punk and tom like this.
  2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    For me, it's Bible that's my favourite. The homoerotic undertones, the deliberate inconsistencies, the paper-thin characters - I can't tell but I think Paulo Coehlo ghost-wrote it.

3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    And, honestly, they would have made pretty terrible movies if the movies had been faithful to the books. So, you know, I support artistic license.

Master_Lok, Rylo Ken and Sarge like this.
  4. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Right, there's no point in adapting a book if you can't identify some aspect of the story that is uniquely cinematic and elevate it at the expense of elements that detract from the most movie-est bits. So many terrible adaptations never locate the story's cinematic hook.

5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Transmogrification.

Sarge, poor yorick and Rylo Ken like this.
  6. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    wherever you want to go, Calvin and Hobbes have already been there

I want to see this book made into a movie. John Bellairs is responsible for sucking me into my lifelong love of end of the world thrillers. The movie Ghostbusters stole its major plot point: an evil wizard trying to bring about the end of the world.

[​IMG]

Diggy likes this.
  7. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
  8. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Wow Ken, you really fail fast.

My condolences.

SuperWatto and Rylo Ken like this.
  9. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    In my head I'd pictured more of the Spielberg treatment. Whimsical and only a bit scary at a level appropriate for children. But I could also easily have embraced the Stranger Things/It treatment. Super nerdy kids take on Evil with the help of even nerdier adults in an atmopshere of a hip and semi-campy creepy nostalgia.

I'd even have tolerated the Tim Burton animated feature film treatment. Those Ed Gorey illustrations from the original publication almost demand that.

Also, this book has a sequel. It's franchise-able. You get two Eli Roth movies for the price of two Eli Roth movies. It's a heavy price.

10. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Eli Roth, though...

He's going to do to your beloved book what his Inglourious Basterds character did to German soldiers.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  11. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Fav u rite.

Ender Sai and Rylo Ken like this.
  12. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015

seems inevitable right. This book is so completely ripe to ride the It/Stranger Things wave, and Eli Roth is going to **** it up beyond recognition.

13. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Now Peter Pan . . . that was an adaptation that found the story's hook.

Ramza, SuperWatto, Sarge and 3 others like this.
  14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    R1.5, you're a terrible person and I hope you feel terrible.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  15. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    [​IMG]

Directed by Tommy Wiseau

"I did not huff and puff, it's booowlshid, I did not blow house down, I did nooooot....oh hi piggie!"