main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How young is too young (to view in theater)?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by LazyJC22, Feb 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LazyJC22

LazyJC22 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 10, 2002
    Sorry if this is a redundant question, couldn't find a like thread in any forum (mods, please move if this doesn't belong here). My daughter will be five in August, she's seen the OT movies a couple of times, each, watches Rebels, has just started to want to watch TCW. I've been reluctant to take her to TFA, even though she's seen the trailers and she and her brother (who's three) have some of the new toys. I'm sure she can handle the content, but she's never seen a movie in a theater that was more than 90 minutes long. I think she can sit still for the full two hours, but I'm not positive. Has anyone taken their kids that are of similar age, and how did they handle it? Should I wait for the Blu-Ray and show it to her at home, or go ahead and take her? Thanks.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  2. KnightOfRen

KnightOfRen Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    I don't have kids, so I wouldn't know. I think it depends on what type of child you have though. If you as the parent has complete faith that your child can sit still during that long period of time, then I say take her! :)

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  3. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    hey it's star wars and if a kid loves star wars than i see no reason why they wouldnt get soaked into the action on screen. To me the movie is so fastly paced it doesnt even seem like a 2 hour movie

4. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    well the second time I went to see TFA in the theatres, there was a couple of kids around that age that got extremely bored around the hour mark and started running around in the aisles and in between the seats.

If it was my first viewing I'd have gone to complain.

If your daughter has indeed sat through the OT in their entirety then wow, you certainly have a mature four year old there.

To wrap up...if in doubt don't take her....I must confess to being a grump where kids are concerned though.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    My first viewing there were a couple of kids around that age along with an adult. The boy (looked a little older) was in a SW shirt, the girl wasn't. They were engrossed for the whole film - i didn't see them squirm or bother Dad (I assume but could have been stepdad) once. I think it depends on the child.

6. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Your daughter should be fine.

My benchmark would be, based on a complaint I saw from a father once (not sure if it was for Return of the Jedi, or an Ewok film), if your child cannot cope with seeing an Ewok buy the farm, that is too young.

Your daughter coped with the Battle of Endor; I'd say she'll be fine, based on my benchmark.

As ObiWanKnowsMe says, it is a very fast paced film. Don't be surprised if she forgets to eat her ice cream or whatever you buy her.

LazyJC22 likes this.
  7. LazyJC22

Mar 10, 2002
    Thanks for the feedback, I'm taking her Saturday morning. The only part that really worries me is how'll she'll react to Kylo and Han. Think she'll be OK.

8. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    LazyJC22

Actually, the Han thing is a good point. The Ewok complainer's child did a kind of transference of the Ewok dying to worrying about her parent dying.

I suppose, just be prepared to comfort in case that issue comes up.

9. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    I took my 6 y.o. on New Years Day. He sat through the whole thing... with his jaw hitting the floor. It was so darn cool! Raising a new generation of geeks!

10. IamZam

IamZam Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 19, 2002
    It depends on the child. I was barely 8 when I saw ANH (in 77) and I was glued to my seat the whole time. But some kids aren't capable of sitting that long. At five my son would never have been able to do it. It is a fast and intense movie, so some kids may find it scary in places.

I would go when it is slow, so you leave or get up with out interrupting others.

11. LazyJC22

Mar 10, 2002
    Update: She did pretty well, no problems sitting through the movie, got a little bummed at the end with Kylo/Han, but we had a nice chat afterwards about how the new movies are going to be more about the new heroes (we think). I'm a proud papa, for sure.

Sidenote, if you've never seen a movie at 10:30 AM before, I highly recommend it!

Sarge, -Jedi Joe- and Corac like this.
  12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    All my TFA viewings have been morning showings at the local cinema. They're great - usually not crowded. Glad she enjoyed most of the film..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.