Howard the Duck: Special Edition DVD - March 10th

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Sith_Lord_Linkoping, Dec 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    For those of you who wants to expand your George Lucas/Lucasfilm related collection. ;)

2. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Sooo, Howard the Duck gets an anamorphic widescreen, 5.1 surround release, but the original versions of the SW trilogy wouldn't be cost-effective?
  3. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Probably because Universal made the decision. Do you think Lucas has as much control over Howard the Duck as he does over Star Wars?

Also, we all should have been smart enough to know that with every DVD release of Star Wars, be it prequels or original trilogy, content (including the OOT) was being withheld for some future mega release or new format. They will come out on Blu Ray and they will have some amazing new transfer, even more extras and new this and that. One of those new extras might be the OOT in good video and sound.
  4. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Yeah, but the movies themselves should never be withheld as 'bonus content'.
  5. Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Now that this is coming it's only a matter of time before the Star Wars Holiday Special is released.
  6. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Heh, yea. We need to bring that to DVD. My old VHS copy isn't gonna hold out forever. :p

And back to the topic, I never saw this movie before. Anyone who has recommend it at all? I always heard it was a joke, so I tried to steer clear of anything regarding it.
  7. Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I saw it when I was a kid. The only two things I remember are Howard walking down a hall beneath a series of laser beams and Lea Thompson.
  8. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    This is my Aunt's favorite movie, so I'll probably get it for her.

9. petetbfilms Jedi Padawan

after all this time we don't even get a Blu-ray release as well?
  10. waheennay Jedi Master

star 4
    I saw the whole movie posted on HULU last week.

HS29 EDIT: Let's not spoil the film by posting links to the entire thing prior to the release. Thanks!
  11. Blur Force Ghost

star 4

Though I have never seen "Howard the Duck" and don't have a lot of interest in the film, I will probably check it out on DVD just because of the Lflm. connection.

12. ILuvJarJar Force Ghost

star 6
  13. JediMasterKendo Jedi Master

star 3
    This movie is still great although dirty LOL

Bev trying to flirt with Howard where Beverly wears a hot nightgown and tries to seduce Howard. Talk about creepy LOL. then the finding of the condom in Howard's wallet. Shame shame :p
  14. Darth_Harmon Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm definitely going to pick this up, it'll sit right next to Willow on my shelf!

And why is it wrong to post a link to a completely legal copy of the film? I'm a bit pissed/confused that a moderator has to do that. DVD > Hulu any day, so its not like its going to spoil the release.

http://www.hulu.com/videos/search?query=Howard+the+Duck
  15. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Okay, I just did some research on Hulu and its legitimacy and it turns out it's clean. I was unaware that such a site existed and I thought it was another youtube rip-off. I was wrong and for that I apologize.

I will allow the current link to stay, but next time, please refrain from posting material that I have previously edited out. Regardless of it turning out to be legitimate, I still wanted to do a check on it to be sure. Thanks!
  16. JediMasterKendo Jedi Master

star 3
    I preordered it last week so I should be getting it this coming Tuesday or Wednesday.

God I watched that movie over and over and over when I was a little kid. My parents recorded all the good movies off of HBO

Odd Jobs, Karate Kid 2, Monster Squad, Emmet Otter Christmas, Innerspace, Platoon, 3 O Clock High, Over the Top, Enemy Mine, Muppets Take Manhattan, Lost Boys, you name it.

Now today the old vhs recording tapes that have the movies are all worn out but I do have some of the new DVDs for those movies.

"She took my eggs."

Dr Jennings possessed by the leader of the Dark Overlords was cool but it was gross when that tongue tentacle came out of his mouth to recharge energy and had to stick it in the cigarette lighter in the semi truck

17. ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio

star 6
    HanSolo29
    And back to the topic, I never saw this movie before. Anyone who has recommend it at all?

I would rent it first and watch it just for the work by Phil Tippett at the end. Some of his best pre-digital fx work IMHO.
  18. MagicSpork Force Ghost

star 2
    Flame away, but I always thought Howard the Duck was a very underrated movie. I think it's reached a cult-like status over the years...
  19. Boba Jr Jedi Master

star 4
    I was at Best Buy the other day and Howard was on sale for $7.50! :D
  20. black_saber Force Ghost

star 4
    I cant even belevie that Howard the duck was a marvel comic book.
  21. ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio

star 6
    Marvel and DC had some goofy titles.
  22. Merlin_Ambrosius69 Force Ghost

star 5
    Howard was intentionally goofy, but beyond that it was also tongue-in-cheek satire of hard-boiled detective fiction, with a saucy sense of humor, some "fouth-wall-breaking" self awareness, and some truly hilarious villains (Hellcow, Man-Frog). The movie Howard is a pushover and a "nice guy" compared to the fowl-mouthed, tough-talkin', fedora-wearin', cigar-chompin' Howard of Steve Gerber's original series.

Read more about the comics Howard here.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.