main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Howard the Duck

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by DarthSuicide, Nov 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Try analyzing HTD for a film class. I had to do a few years back at it was practically a nightmare. Of course I had fun bashing it, but trying to think of something positive, that's too hard.

2. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
    I'm guessing you are refering to the cut Fox demanded because they thought it was a very bad idea to have basically no humans in the first 15 min. of the film. Fortunately Lucas stuck to his guns after seeing how that didn't work.

I was referring to the fact that the British editor that he hired pretty much refused to cut it the way Lucas wanted, and he had to fire him before shooting was over. The cut the guy gave him definitely wasn't what he wanted. So basically, Lucas started from scratch, and hired Paul Hirsch and Richard Chew, and for awhile, his wife Marcia to edit the film, to give it more vitality and energy. The British editor had cut the film in a very traditional way of establishing shots, and then going into the coverage that had been shot and allowing the actor's performances to dictate the rhythm of the cutting. That's fine for most films but for STAR WARS it was a disaster. Thank God, Lucas brought in a new team and closely supervised them, with the editing team winning an Oscar for it's work.

3. howardgarbo

howardgarbo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2005
    You know something guys, I went out and bought Howard the Duck at a video store used for $3 earlier this month. The film's pretty bad, I'll give everyone that, but it's never boring to watch. I recommend checking it out if you want to experience some cheesy '80's flick.

4. Revoltor

Revoltor Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2005
    If Garbage Pail Kids the movie can get a DVD release (MGM is doing it), I'm pretty sure Howard can get one too. Hell, even Willow got a nice DVD treatment.

5. dudalb

dudalb Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2001
    "Willow" is not exactly a great movie by any means, but it's not a total disaster like "Howard The Duck" was.
    Lucas is not completly to blame, but it happened on his watch and he has to bear a responsibility.
    If Lucas made a mistake with the infamous SW Holiday Special by giving up creative control to CBS, he made a mistake here by taking over a project that was heavily damaged goods by the time he got control.

6. howardgarbo

howardgarbo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2005
    Hey, Dudalb, it's good to see another CHUD poster here.

7. kiskolou

kiskolou Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 23, 2005
    labirinth and willow are good movies!But really folks,howard the duck is horrid.I mean there are duck breasts in it!

8. Starman1138

Starman1138 Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2005
    Geez, I actually like Howard the Duck. I thought the movie wass funny and enjoyable.

9. I_Bent_My_Wookie

I_Bent_My_Wookie Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    I haven't seen the movie in years.

I loved it last time I saw it. I now have the urge to find my copy of it.

10. ArtfulDetour

ArtfulDetour Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2005
    Let us also not forget Tim Robbins, channeling Dan Aykroyd at his most geeky. I saw the movie when it first came out and have been happy to have never seen it since then.

11. True_Killer

True_Killer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 1, 2005
    Howard the Duck was cool back in the day to smoke some pot to..The theme music was awesome..

12. millenniumteacher

millenniumteacher Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2005
    LOL! I still remember the song! Oh god I'm old. My thought is that they had to sit in a board room and approve this idea. I guess it was just as crazy to talk about approval for raiders or SW. But really, Howard the Duck? Crazy.

13. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    How can anyone say Lucas wasn't responsible for Howard the Duck? He paid for it. Whether for friendship or not, the movie would never have been made, let alone released without his name and support, so yes he is responsible for it. Take it or leave it, it is part of the Lucas's oeuvre.

14. theN00_Jedi

theN00_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2005
    Oh please, you're all complaining about Howard the Duck, but if there are any die hard PT/SE fans in the crowd right now they'd love it... with a few minor changes

Howard the Duck the Special Edition!:

:All FX redone in CG

:Howard now looks like JarJar

:The Battle OF Heroes along with Duel of the Fates replaces the origional soundtrack

:At least one dogfight, or should I say duckfight, is added to the movie for no particular reason

:Greedo is added to the film as an extra, he shoots first of course..

:Topless Aayla Secura is composited into the background along with shirtless Anakin Skywalker, eye-candy for both fanboys and fangirls everywhere

:Lucus changes the rating to PG-13 and calls it the darkest chapter in the howard the duck franchise

:Lucus changes the title from Howard the Duck, to Howard the Duck: Episode XIV: A New Duck

*movie makes 130 mil on openning night, howard the duck lives on forever, and all the PT/SE fans proclaim it the greatest, most moving, master peice, in movie history..

15. EBSaints

EBSaints Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 29, 2002
    I haven't seen Howard the Duck in years, but I enjoyed it as a kid and watched it numerous times.

16. Jedi_Jimbo

Jedi_Jimbo Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2004
    I loved it as a kid.
    I haven't seen it for years.
    But it still has a special place in my heart.

17. darth-amedda

darth-amedda Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2003
    Willow was good for its times, but Howard the Duck - I simply do not accept the fact that this film exists. Sometimes I think that even Holiday Specoial was not as bad as this one.

18. mynameismyown

mynameismyown Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    i think lucas helped the filmmakers finish howard the duck, but i dont think he instigated it, anyways the film is still entertaining and does have some funny dialogue

19. TheAlternateReality

TheAlternateReality Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2005
    Howard the Duck: Proof Lucas was involved with The Star Wars Holiday Special.

20. mynameismyown

mynameismyown Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    luca just said in a recent interview that he had nothing to do with t he holiday special. he helped his friends make howard the duck same with alot of his other friends with lesser known films

21. TheAlternateReality

Sep 4, 2005
    Yeah, but filmfax confirmed that he wrote the basic story and attended a few meetings, nothing too major.

22. battlewars

battlewars Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    what is filmfax/

23. TheAlternateReality

Sep 4, 2005
    It's an old magazine from a while back. I found out this information from SKot Kirkwood at starwarsholidayspecial.com. This guy is the true expert on anything holiday-special wise.

24. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I liked Howard The Duck. It was kinda weird, but I liked it none the less. Haven't seen it in about 10-15 years, so i don't know if i'll like it now.

25. paul01

paul01 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2005
    I dont think it is that bad a film,it is no filmaking masterpiece but its to me fair 90mims or whatever entertainment, and compared to some trash that gets released on DVD i am surprised its does not get a release..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.