main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How'd you get into FanForce?

Discussion in 'FanForce Community' started by TheBoogieMan, Sep 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Did you come through the JC? Or did you get into FanForcing before you even knew the JC existed? Was it a friend, a poster... etc.

Personally, I came to know my FanForce after being here for about two years (shocking, I know) and certain members of the JC Election Game (*shudder*) told me to come on over...

2. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    It was during the Titus Fan Novel Days when I first came to the Forums at all, and saw the end of the Fan Novel. :p

I was invited to FanForce by WhiteLadyofRohan.

3. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I stumbled onto FanForce well before the move to IGN. When we had two different boards one for the JC and one for FanForce. I had an account for the original JC but FanForce felt a better fit so I stuck with FF until the great move where we joined together.

4. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    I knew a guy in the 501. we started talking and he sent me an email with all the fan groups in CO. so i saw the RMFF and joined up. i still talked to the guy in the 501. later on he joined up with FF as well. oddly enough he credits me with getting him to join, yet he is the reason i joined.

5. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    My story is pretty much the same as Rox's is. The old ubb boards is what sucked me in. I have fond memories. I didn't sign up for the JCC until much later though, the community forum scared the bejeezus out of me.

6. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    The community forum scares the bejeezus out of most people. :p

It's interesting to see you two who joined up before the move to IGN. I knew that the boards were different to the JC boards back in the UBB days, but did they move to IGN at the same time? And, a question that's been bugging me for some time now - how come people like you guys joined here pretty much 'at the begining', yet have '00 usernames, whereas I've seen some with '98?

7. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    That's the difference between JC and FF. I registered this name at JC in '98, but I didn't post much. Then the UBB FF boards where created and I stumbled on them, and I felt much more like home there. The JC moved from UBB in July 2000, the FF boards remained separate until November 2000 when they were merged. The merge wasn't really a merge though, since nothing was moved from the FF boards, everything was simply created new here, and all FF users had to register new user names on these boards.

So you can say that JC had it's beginning in '98, but FF started in 2000.

8. JAWAHUNTER

JAWAHUNTER Jedi Master star 1

Dec 16, 1998

I can answer that atleast for me anyway...This was my original username. I changed it because my FanForce name is what I was known by to my friends. This is Rox btw.

9. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    I'd found tfn back in 1999 but never went to the forums, they scared me too much. I finally registered in 2002 for the Lit forum and the next summer heard there was local groups. Being a n00b I posted in here looking for my chapter, found it :) It was a local friend, Talz, who told me about the local clubs, or FanForce.

10. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    I registered a couple of years ago in order to monitor the goings on in the Games forum. I was actually dormant for a while until I started to become a bit more active, then stumbled on the Boston forum while going through the drop-down list. I posted a hello there and started going to meets last year. Needless to say, my Star Wars life hasn't been the same since. :D

11. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    It's fascinating to hear everyone's stories. Thanks for clearing that up, Obi Anne. And Rox - it's bizarre to see you in a different username... you look the same... same icon... but JAWAHUNTER? Haha. :p If it wasn't for the registration date, I'd say you were trying to impersonate a n00b. :p

12. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    After I retired I was thinking of going back to my old name but I want to try and reach a lofty goal of 10,000 posts on this name first.

13. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Not long to go, Rox. Still, the change-names-after-retiring thing worked well for Kadue.

14. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I don't think I'd be able to change name, I know I thought about changing name sometime in '99 or '00, because I thought this was a bad and boring name, but it had simply stuck so I couldn't get rid of it.

15. Enji

Enji Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 14, 2002
    Well, I found a link to FF Sweden from another Swedish board in '02, and at that time I didn't even know that JC and FF were separate things... :)

I do now, though. ;)

16. RubberRonny

RubberRonny Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 23, 2005
    I know this guy, who knows a guy, who hooked me up with some primo fanforce a couple weeks ago. One time, and you're hooked. You know how it is if you're a user, of fanforce.

17. Lord-Wiz

Lord-Wiz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    i stumbled across the boards purely by accident while mooching around for ROTS stuff just before it got released. then got involved in the ground work of setting up the FF-UK:Midlands chapter, and here i am today. :)

18. MacCaffrey

MacCaffrey VIP star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 2000
    Okay... How was that again...
    Back then in 1998 when we finally decided to get ourself an internetconection, little Flo searched the width of the net for informations about Star Wars and stumbeled over TFN. And through pure coincidence I chose the FanForce board and it got me. I stayed and with two other German-speaking people we opened a thread where we posted in German and laid the foundation for the GSFF. Then came the move and we got our own Boards! :D
    I just regret that I didn't make myself a JC account earlier... So I have just an '00. ;)

So long story short, meet people, stayed, opened a thread and cofounded a FanForce. ;)

19. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    I love fanforce [face_love][:D]

Back on the UBB my username was JediGirl. Not very original, but I wanted to stick with it, but the name had been taken on the IGN boards :( So I just added my favorite smuggler's home planet onto the end. Had I registered when I first found the boards I'd probably have a '99 date. I can't believe it's almost been six years though. Wow. I was just sixteen when I joined, I even used words like luv and kool. Ugh.

20. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Hey, I think I was 13 when I joined... no that can't be right. 14 I think.

I used kool.

:oops:

21. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I found out about TFn through a late night TV show about the net in the UK and they said you could download Star Dudes from the site. I thought I'd go and do it and found that TFn was full of info.

About a year later I found out about the boards and registered and hung around in Lit a lot. I started off more as a lurker than anything else.

Last year I got bored just lurking in lit and thought that there must be more to the boards than just lit so I went to the EUC and games and then stumbled on the JCC. (I stopped posting for a while after I found the JCC as it's too scary)

I then found the UK regional board and popped into the pub thread there earlier this year.

Since then I've gone from 350 is posts over 2 years to over 2000 this year. I'm also trying to restart the FF:UK Norther Chapter which should be having it's third meet today (I'm at work :( )

22. AT-AT_Commander

AT-AT_Commander Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2001
    I was on a Chat board and somebody brought up theforce.net. So i started looking there on a daily basis then i saw the thing for Fnaforces and the JC so i registaered. but really post much till the past year. Now i like come here first thing in the morning and first thing at night. Im here more often than anywhere else.

23. Mara-Jade-Skywalker

Mara-Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 21, 2000
    I refuse to look at my old posts anymore if they exist... they're too painful with all my 13-year-old horrid grammar and AOL-speak. :p

Oh, and
    ^ What she and Rox said. :p

24. Lord_Ogli

Lord_Ogli Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    I got told about em by a lass at college. AmberStarbright.

25. Mara-Jade-Skywalker

Mara-Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 21, 2000
    I know her. :p She's rather awesome. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.