Lit How're the Dark Empire 1 & 2 Radio Dramas?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CaptainHamYoyo, Dec 27, 2012.

1. CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    I love the Brian Daley dramas of the OT, and just listened to Smuggler's Gambit from Celebration 6, and really enjoyed that. So that got me wondering about Dark Empire, and wanted to see your guys opinions on it before spending the money. I've read the comics, so story isn't an issue.

How's the voice acting? How's the music and sound effects? Is it almost up to par to the Brian Daley ones?
    General Immodet likes this.
  2. RC-1991 Force Ghost

star 4
    It's.... well, it's a Star Wars radio drama that wasn't done by Daley. In other words, the parts that I have listened to are more hamtastic than a swine farm. Though IIRC it's nothing compared to the TotJ or Dark Forces radio dramas.
  3. Adrian the Cool Jedi Master

star 3
    I only own Dark Empire I, Tales of the Jedi and Labyrinth of Evil. The Dark Empire has more scenes than the comic book, I think it is a bit better. The Tales of the Jedi Audio Drama contains Ulic Qel-Droma and the Beast Wars of Onderon, The Saga of Nomi Sunrider and the Freedon Nadd Uprising, everything the comic books contain. Labyrinth of Evil is is OK, too, just a bit shortened.

I use to get Dark Empire II and Dark Lords of the Sith. There is also a new Thrawn Trilogy radio version, actually three of twelve volumes have been released.
    Last edited by Adrian the Cool, Dec 28, 2012
  4. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
    The Dark Empire audio dramas actually make Dark Empire kind of enjoyable, because they come without the strange artwork that series so loves. Whilst they really are not as great as the others (I blame that on the source material), they are an easy way to have Dark Empire told to you, without the risk of eye cancer. :)
  5. Darth_Kevin Force Ghost

star 5
    I did not know there was a Labyrinth of Evil radio drama. Was is available for sale?
  6. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
    Wasn't there just a abridged Audio book of LoE? o_O
  7. darklordoftech Force Ghost

star 5
    Tales of the Jedi audio dramas fix alot of the continuity problems in the comics.
  8. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    Can't say how they compare to the Daley series but I like them a lot - not least due to the Emperor. Granted, he's no Ian McDiarmuid but who is save for the man himself?
    darklordoftech likes this.
  9. Force Smuggler Force Ghost

star 5
    I remember the Dark Empire Radio Drama. It was pretty good. Used to get it from a library that was close to me. Haven't been in it in years.
    I would like to hear it again and see what the others are like.
  10. Adrian the Cool Jedi Master

star 3
    There are several German Star Wars radio dramas that are not aviable in Galactic Basic Standard: Labyrinth of Evil (Labyrinth des Bösen), Dark Lord (Dark Lord - Der Aufstieg des Darth Vader) and now the Thrawn trilogy.
  11. darklordoftech Force Ghost

star 5
    [face_laugh]
    Gorefiend likes this.
  12. CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    I'm sold. Got Dark Empire 1 from iTunes. I'm really enjoying it so far! It was awesome hearing BDW back as Lando(though still wondering why he didn't return for ROTJ). Also feels weird having some else as 3PO(though that actor did pretty good sounding like Tony Daniels).

I plan on eventually getting DE2 and the 2 Tales of the Jedi dramas soon. Hope iTunes makes the Thrawn trilogy available soon(also hoping Shadows of the Empire gets made eventually).

Thanks for all the opinions so far!!! :)
  13. _Catherine_ Force Ghost

star 4
    How could they not get the real one? His entire job is just to play C-3PO in everything.
    CaptainHamYoyo likes this.
  14. Bib Fartuna Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    There is no such thing as a Star Wars Radio Drama. One qualifying question: Were they ever originally broadcast on Radio?

A more accurate title is Audio Drama.
  15. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
    Racist marketing again, some obscure human dialect gets audio book releases, but no Huttese to be found anywhere. :p
  16. CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Well the OT ones, written by Bryan Daley, were broadcast on NPR in 1980, 1983, and 1995(for SW, TESB, and ROTJ respectively). So there is such a thing in that regard.

But yes, audio dramas are more accurate for the other ones(Dark Empires, Tales of the Jedi, etc), but I like calling them radio dramas for tradition of the classic ones.
  17. CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Ed Asner speaks Huttese in ROTJ, does that count, lol
  18. General Immodet Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Someone is still talking about Dark Empire!
    Sweet...