main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [HP] New (MMM Challenge) Vignette

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by NYCitygurl, Nov 5, 2012.

1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Author: NYCitygurl
    Title: New
    Fandom: Harry POtter
    Timeframe: Pre-SS
    Characters: Lily and James Potter
    Summary: Parenthood is still new ... but some things never change.
    Notes: Written for Monday Mush Mania

Lily cradled the baby in her arms, smiling gently at her son. She reached up to rearrange his blanket, holding him tightly with her other arm. Even after a few months, everything about motherhood still seemed so new to her.

James flopped down on the couch beside her. Lily gave him a quick frown, which was wiped away when she noticed his exhaustion.

“Is everything okay?” she asked softly, not wanting to disturb the newborn in her arms.1

James nodded. “Dumbledore sends his congratulations.”

He leaned closer to his wife so he could see the baby. Lily shivered as he drew near; the weather was getting colder as autumn began turning to winter.

James kissed her cheek quickly but didn’t touch the baby, rubbing his hands together instead. “Everything’s fine,” he assured her. “Sirius is back—I shouldn’t be surprised if he’ll pop over tomorrow to see Harry again—and the mission went well.”

“Good.” Assured, Lily leaned against her husband, who—thankfully—was warming quickly. James put his arm around her and dropped a kiss on the top of her head.

“How is he?” James asked happily, nodding at the baby.

Lily shifted and, judging that her husband was warm enough, handed the little bundle over. James unwound his arm from her and used both to take the baby in his arms.

“Harry,” James cooed, and Harry cooed back in that little baby way.

Lily felt her heart melting as she watched her husband hold their son. “He actually slept for a few hours today,” she forced out, trying not to choke on her happiness.

James raised his eyebrow at her tone but seemed to accept that she was all right. “Really?” He turned his attention back to the infant. “You mean you actually gave your mum a little peace? Of course, you waited until I was gone to do it …”

Lily laughed as Harry made another baby sound.

James played with Harry for another hour, holding his and laughing with him and teasing him, until the baby finally drifted off to sleep. Lily placed him in the crib, covered him with a blanket, and rubbed his back carefully before silently leaving the nursery.

James was lying on his stomach in their bed, face buried in a pillow. Lily sat beside him and rubbed his back much the way she’d rubbed Harry’s.

“Are you sure everything’s okay?” she asked

At the concern in her voice, James picked his head up off the pillow and gave her a small, tired smile. “Yes, everything really is okay—or, well, as okay as it can be.” He left his head fall back on the pillow, but this time his face was turned toward his wife. “I’m just tired.”

She moved her hand from his back to his always-rumpled hair and mussed it before she lay down beside him. He curled an arm around her waist, and she scooted closer, taking comfort in the warmth of his body against hers. It was something she missed during the long nights he was away on Order business.

As if following her thoughts, he whispered, “I want to be home more, with you and Harry.”

Lily turned her face up so she could meet his eyes. “I’d like that,” she replied cautiously, “but I don’t want to make you feel as though you need to give it up.”

James shook his head. “I want to,” he repeated. “I miss you both when I’m gone. I don’t want to miss his first—I don’t know, his first step or first word or something.”

Lily smiled. “Those are a long way off—but I understand what you mean.” She leaned up and gave him a soft kiss. “I’ll be glad to have you home more.”

James wiggled his eyebrows and grinned. “Oh, you will, will you?”

He leaned closer and kissed her until she laughed. “I thought you were tired.”

James grinned again. “Not too tired for this,” he replied. “Never too tired for this.”

Motherhood might still be new, Lily reflected later, but some things never changed.

2. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    LOL yeah, guys are never too tired for that. Sweet viggie @};-