main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

HP-TSS - NOW DISCUSSING Chapter 16: Three-headed Sentinel

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Moleman1138, May 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Due to the success of the SFF CBC discussions, I would like to discuss HP-TSS chapter by chapter on the DVD. There are 34 chapters to discuss over the next eight months, excluding Chapter 35: End Credits

Each discussion will last 5 days. At the end of 5 days, the following chapter will be posted.

Chapter 4: Keeper of the Keys
    DISCUSSION: June 10, 2006 ? June 14, 2006
    DVD TIME INDEX: 12:17 ? 18:24

Synopsis:
    Surrounded by waters, there is a shack. Inside the Dursleys are hiding from the letters from home. Everyone is asleep. Harry is awake writing in the dirt and making a Happy Birthday cake. There is a loud knock at the door. It is Hagrid. Vernon and Petunia come downstairs. Hagrid looks over at Dudley and mistakes him for Harry. Harry comes out and Hagrid gives a smashed cake followed by an acceptance letter to Hogwarts. Dudley is sneaking cake. Vernon and Petunia said they put a stop to this magic business as soon as they got Harry. Harry is upset that they knew and didn?t tell him. Hagrid hears the scandal that his parents died in a car crash and is quite mad. He is also upset when Vernon calls Dumbledore a crackpot. Hagrid then zaps a tail on Dudley and panic emerges. Harry sets off with Hagrid. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    In a mythological sense, this is the call scene. Just like Luke or Frodo or Neo in other verse, this is where Harry has to choose to begin his journey. It?s definitely humorous, but serious at the same time. Harry could not adapt to the system of Muggles so he is going somewhere where he has purpose instead of being abused.

I like the idea of Harry blowing his dirt candle and by that coincidentally he is freed from the Muggle-verse upon Hagrid?s arrive. Has this transcendental feel to it that you really don?t think about, but is more like coincidence if anything. Hagrid?s arrival is quite bumbling and not intimidating at all. Maybe for the younger viewers.

What I like here is that we learn about the scandal that Vernon and Petunia kept filling Harry for the past decade and the truth that he is a wizard. This ultimately ties up the last twenty minutes and gives a reason for all the oddities that happened earlier in the film. We also get to see what the letter actually says since in the last chapter, Vernon burned them.

Also this hints that Hagrid has strong admiration for this Dumbledore guy. Us Harry Potter fans know who Dumbledore is, but why is he so protective of not hearing an insult of the guy. Hopefully something I missed or down the road will explain this. Good chapter

2. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
  3. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I love Hagrid in this scene - it's so sweet that he brings Harry a cake.

4. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Hagrid can't spell on the cake, but he sure put a spell on Dudley. :p Nice to see Hagrid's giant strength bending the gun barrel

5. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    after seeing this scene i've always wanted to pull that spell on my brothers and see them with a pigs tail :p

6. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    This is one of those scenes from the film that just makes me smile. Although there are some subtle differences from the book, overall the film version of this scene nearly mirrors how I always envisioned this scene unfolding when I read it. Every detail from Hagrid's menacing form in the doorway, to the ratty condition of the house just beautifully looks exactly as JK described the scene in the book.

The Dursley's reaction to Dudley's new tail, the delivery of the cake, Hagrid using his broom/wand - it's all just perfectly Harry Potter :)

7. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Thank you for all your participation in CBC (Chapter by Chapter). HP-TSS Chapter 5: Diagon Alley DISCUSSION will be made available 10:20 PM EST. Although the discussion timeframe has passed, you may still discuss this chapter at your convienience. However, we will be moving on to the next chapter.

-Moleman1138

8. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Due to the success of the SFF CBC discussions, I would like to discuss HP-TSS chapter by chapter on the DVD. There are 34 chapters to discuss over the next eight months, excluding Chapter 35: End Credits

Each discussion will last 5 days. At the end of 5 days, the following chapter will be posted.

Chapter 5: Diagon Alley
    DISCUSSION: June 15, 2006 ? June 19, 2006
    DVD TIME INDEX: 18:25 ? 21:42

Synopsis:
    Harry and Hagrid are walking the streets of London till they come across the Leaky Cauldron. There they meet Tom the innkeeper. Hagrid says that they?re on Hogwarts business to get Harry?s school things. Everyone?s attention has directed to Harry as they are all greeting him. They come over to Professor Quirrell who refuses to shake Harry?s hand and stammers. They go out back. Harry wonders how they all know him. Hagrid taps a stone wall several times revealing Diagon Alley. They go down the main street and pass a broom shop where the Nimbus 2000 is in the display window. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    Well luckily nobody was walking that road, because you don?t see too many giants walking around with ten year olds that much. I guess suspense of disbelief kicks in here. But hey it?s fantasy.

Until Goblet of Fire, I didn?t even recognize this as the Leaky Cauldron. I can say like so many other sets in Azkaban, they changed this one a bit. Maybe it was the lighting or something, but it did take a while to piece two and two together. Even Tom is different in the first film, way different if I recall.

The confrontation with Quirrell is set up well. You really don?t expect him as a bad guy immediately, but somebody who is extremely timid and is unsure of himself. Of course this is an act and I wonder how many didn?t see it. Dumbledore saw right through Voldemort, why not Quirrell.

Diagon Alley is interesting. The brick scene needs work, but Diagon Alley is classic Chris Columbus here, music from JW and all. Of course it plays on the word diagonally. Good quick shot of the Nimbus 2000 to foreshadow that Harry gets one. Good chapter.

9. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
  10. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i like JW's music here. fits in well. i like the introduction of Quirrel into the story

11. KissMeImARebel

Nov 25, 2003
    Poor Quirrell - I really do feel bad for the guy - and I think I'd be a stuttering mess if I had Vapormort living in the back of my mead.

I agree on the music - JW's Harry Potter stuff is not some of his best IMHO, but I really like it in this scene.

Also love all the interaction between Hagrid and Harry, the awesome shopping going on at Diagon Alley and the Nimbus 2000.

12. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Cuaron's Leaky Cauldron is defintely better than Columbus' but this reflects the latter of the film I guess.

13. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    an update anytime soon? [face_whistling]

14. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
  15. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    You know what I'm thinking? What if Harry didn't have such a miserable life with the Muggles? That's one of the primary motivations he has for going with Hagrid; to leave his miserable life behind.

Although one could argue that Harry also wanted to learn more about his parents, and since Hagrid seemed to be a wealth of knowledge, he would've gone with him anyway to Diagon Alley. But would Harry still have chosen the wizarding world if his muggle life wasn't bad?

16. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Thank you for all your participation in CBC (Chapter by Chapter). HP-TSS Chapter 6: Gringotts DISCUSSION will be made available 9:20 PM EST. Although the discussion timeframe has passed, you may still discuss this chapter at your convienience. However, we will be moving on to the next chapter.

-Moleman1138

17. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004

Chapter 6: Gringotts
    DISCUSSION: June 25, 2006 ? June 29, 2006
    DVD TIME INDEX: 21:43 ? 24:40

Synopsis:
    On the streets of Diagon Alley, Harry notes that he hasn?t any money. So Harry and Hagrid go to Gringotts Bank. There they see some goblins. They come to the head desk, where a goblin sits. Hagrids says that they wish to make a withdrawal from Harry?s account as well as take something from a secret vault. They come to Harry?s vault. The door opens. Harry sees a mountain of gold coins. They go to vault 713. There Hagrid takes a small bagged item with him and tells Harry not to tell anyone. It is Hogwarts business. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    This is a brooding mystery chapter. This is ultimately the first place we stop in Diagon Alley, well go inside. Gringotts has that metropolis bank feel to it that takes us back to our own world, but at the same time, it?s filled with goblins.

The journey towards the Potter vault has some pretty believable rendering. Does the number 687 have any significance. I don?t know. But how did Lily and James get all that money. JW?s music right here is wonderfully used and the cinematography is equally as spectacular. Lighting had to play a big role here and it succeeds.

Vault 713 is also a great use of cinematography, especially with opening of the vault, which is quite similar to me as the locking the front door of Hogwarts in POA. This is the device that will carry the film, especially at the end. We all know what it is, but at this point nobody knows.

The other thing I?d like to mention is that Gringotts, like Hogwarts is supposed to be the safest place in the Wizarding World. Is that Hagrid comforting Harry or is it the truth in his mind. If it is the latter then Hagrid is quite naïve. Good chapter.

18. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
  19. KissMeImARebel

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm not aware of any significance to the numbers - but JKR does like to play little games with hidden meanings sometimes.

I agree on the door to 713 - great shot - beautiful to watch.
    You know, I'd never thought of that - but that's a really good question. I'm inclined to think he would still go with Hagrid. I think he was very curious about his parents; also (and I suppose this could be considered a flaw on the part of JKR) most of the muggle-borns at Hogwarts don't seem to have any issues jumping right into the wizarding world - I mean, Hermione never sticks around with her parents during vacations.

20. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Thank you for all your participation in CBC (Chapter by Chapter). HP-TSS Chapter 7: Ollivanders DISCUSSION will be made available 3:10 PM EST. Although the discussion timeframe has passed, you may still discuss this chapter at your convienience. However, we will be moving on to the next chapter.

-Moleman1138

21. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004

Chapter 7: Ollivanders
    DISCUSSION: July 5, 2006 ? July 9, 2006
    DVD TIME INDEX: 24:41 ? 28:48

Synopsis:
    Harry says all he needs is a wand. Hagrid tells him to go off to Ollivanders as he has his own business to attend to. Harry goes in. Nobody is there. Suddenly Mr. Ollivander is visible on a rolling ladder, waiting for the day Harry comes to his shop. Ollivander picks up one wand and gives it to Harry. Harry tries it out and accidentally throws drawers out of a cabinet. Ollivander gives him a second wand. Harry accidentally breaks a vase. Ollivander doesn?t know what to do until he finds a particular wand. When Harry tries out that wand, light and wind surround him. Mr. Ollivander says that the phoenix feather in this wand has a brother. The brother gave him that scar. Harry asks who gave him that scar. Mr. Ollivander refuses to say who only that he did incredible but terrible things. Hagrid stands in the window with Harry?s birthday present, an owl. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    This is definitely another one of those signature Columbus scenes. After Gringotts, Ollivanders works pretty well in developing the ideal fantastic world in Diagon Alley. The shop does have a feel that carries over to Flourish and Blotts in the next movie and also works with the current situation of the film.

The testing of the wands is pretty funny, but at the same time brooding. I?m not sure if Dan gives his best performance here, but John Hurt does a great job as the mysterious Ollivander. He seems to know a little too much about wands. The question is?is Mr. Ollivander evil. An anagram for Ollivander is an evil lord. Plus what are the great things that Voldemort did that Ollivander knows about?

It?s great that they threw in the Lily and James bit and how Ollivander was waiting for Harry. The idea of the wand choosing the wizard is pretty intriguing. Does this wand set up Voldemort?s demise? It is the only one that can cause Priori Incantatem with Voldemort?s wand. Hopefully we?ll know more about that and Ollivander.

Hagrid standing in the window is quite similar to Hagrid standing on the steps of Knockturn Alley in Chamber of Secrets. Hagrid always seems to come at the right moments. It?s a pretty good chapter. Next one great.

22. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
  23. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Yeah, the wand definitely chose Harry. And it's lucky for Harry too, because that's the only wand that could have saved his life in Goblet of Fire. It's interesting because Ollivander is the key for Voldemort. Ollivander is the one that can tell Voldemort what happened that night in the graveyard with the ones, and he can tell him how to counter it.

24. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i always laugh when he tests out the different wands

25. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Update hopefully today/tomorrow

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.