HTML

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by LadyVader81, Mar 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arun Dale Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Degree in design is a little vague...please elaborate..
  2. LadyVader81 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    not at the moment I will let know
  3. MayhemUK Jedi Master

star 4
    Specifically Product Design... as first born I got the scientific genes by the looks of it, and as second born, my brother got all the artistic ones. A couple of things he did during his placement positions have been used as a basis for professional products released on the market ;) I'll have to ask him which ones though...

As for his job... well I'll find out if he knows Dreamweaver... but he certainly DIDN'T know it when he was hired, put it like that. Then again that was more on the looks front... he's moved over to the "behind the scenes" stuff since...
  4. MOTs_Minx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    If you got the science genes, and your brother got the artistic genes...

...who got the Levi's?

OH COME ON....someone had to!
  5. Arun Dale Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Producr Designers : serious pantone markers fetish
  6. MayhemUK Jedi Master

star 4
    From my bro...

i didn't know dreamweaver before i started i know a bit now but it's a piece of piss anyway, some bird in the homes section uses it so it can't be hard, she's shown me a bit... it's a glorified frontpage basically... i can do almost everything it does in html anyway...

we don't really get any call to use flash cos the clients never want to pay for it, i can do animations and stuff but i want to go on a course to learn more of the background code, dynamic interaction stuff... some of the other portals like icnewcastle use flash in some banner ads which i want to press to use here as well so i can get some practice.

basically, i design soooo well i can make good looking sites just with html... ho ho.

really i only use photoshop, illustrator, imageready for some animation and imagemaps, homesite (glorified notepad quite frankly but can be useful), plus a bit of coldfusion if updateable sections are needed, it's not too hard.

Okay so he's about as modest as John, but there you go :p
  7. MOTs_Minx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  8. Poodu Jedi Youngling

star 6
    it's a glorified frontpage basically

That is sacrilege... people are entitled to opinions, but that is arse

Okay so he's about as modest as John, but there you go

John's proven he can do what he says...
  9. Arun Dale Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Maybe so...But you wont catching me using crap like illustrator...or going 'Ho Ho'

//gives sam a fiver

10. MayhemUK Jedi Master

star 4
    So what do you use instead for graphics then John?
  11. Poodu Jedi Youngling

star 6
    That strikes me as a dumb question... asking a graphic designer who uses Apple Macs what software he uses for graphics is like asking an Englishmans first language is...
  12. MOTs_Minx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    They only use Photoshop and Freehand here.
  13. Arun Dale Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    For flat stuff Freehand, Quark XPress, Photoshop and my own drawing skills...and I only use photoshop for touch ups...the filters on that package are so damn tacky...

BTW we have both Illustrator and Freehand on our Mac's...but for me Freehand is the one...

The drawing package debate is definaltly split...I tend to find most of the pro-illustrators are pc users...which to me speak's volumes...
  14. Poodu Jedi Youngling

star 6
  15. MOTs_Minx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    We have Macs here. Well...Macs and PCs... The artists and designers have to use both...as do I.
  16. MayhemUK Jedi Master

star 4
    Well John, you won't be surprised to find PCs at home that we use, and in his office. Pretty sure there are Macs, but he doesn't use one himself. Horses for courses really, you use what you have access to!

Speaking of Quark XPress, another webdesign mate of mine doesn't like the damn thing, prefers Indesign instead. You used that?
  17. MomentOfTriumph Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    i have a chalk and slate and i count using my fingers.
  18. Arun Dale Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    QuarkXpress...

industry standard....nuff said
  19. MayhemUK Jedi Master

star 4
    That may be true... just my mate prefers Indesign instead. I can't comment as I haven't used either...
  20. Arun Dale Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Indesign cost's around £550

Quark Xpress on the otherhand cost's about a grand...

Most printers I have worked with only except jobs on quark because they all work with pantone colour grades...

Adobe should just let it lie...and throw their research into Photoshop
  21. Tanktopgirl Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    > i have a chalk and slate and i count using my fingers.

LOL

I'll lend you my abacus
  22. Poodu Jedi Youngling

star 6
    A desktop publisher designed the Information Devon homepage.... nuff said... some people should stick to what they're good at
  23. MayhemUK Jedi Master

star 4
    Nothing too difficult there by the looks of it that couldn't be done without a software package... but obviously it probably would be quicker using one.

Though one question: why the use of tables for the overall layout and not frames? Because not everyone has frames friendly browsers?
  24. anakin_pm Jedi Master

star 4
    I only will use Photoshop, DW4, Flash. The princibles of website design. Illustrator is good but I have never had chance to play with it, Corel Painter is good though, now thats a design prog. I could love forever.

Thats all you really need, Sam, that site sucks! Nice big chuky buttons, yuck!

Basicly Matt, youre brother is in a little spaced out planet, he wont succed and go anywere just by doing it all in Notepad etc etc, he will have to learn it or they will find some one who can.

[Edit]
    Frames are mainly used because it allows the page to be loaded up quiker, saves opening up another 'clean page'. Tables are used more comanly now because of the different screen res. that are available to people. Table are not an issue in browsers, for the simple reason, the Browsers that you use will always try to force the newest version of the software onto youre PC. So thats not an issue. Plus IE4 is pretty much the min. spec for a browsers and AOL automaticly updates thiers when they release the software.
  25. Poodu Jedi Youngling

star 6
    That's what you get when you pay a desktop publisher to produce your website for you.... we're trying to wangle the job of redesigning Information Devon ourselves at the moment. For the past four years we were in the top twenty Council websites... in the top ten for a period... but now we're out cos they won't invest in creation of a community portal... bloody typical...

ED: Frames are okay, depending on what you want to do with your site... it was a problem to use frames a couple years ago, but nowadays it ain't a problem. The FF-UK site is designed with three frames...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.